Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
That would be nice, but where do you draw the line? Much of their profit margin comes from standardization on the assembly line. You get too many options, and you begin to lose that standardization.

I do agree that for MANY parts of the build, most buyers would gladly pay a little extra for a little added quality, but again, all those things tend to add up...
Would probably be a "dealer installed" option. Heck it pretty much is. You just have the experience to ask for it.

Charles
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #22
Site Team

Oh I agree, anything that slows down the assembly line and varies from the standard adds cost and time.

There were some manufacturers who tried to build custom units but they are not here anymore and likely the profits were the reason.

They aftermarket stuff is not hard to install and there are loads of places that will do them if you are not so inclined.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Would probably be a "dealer installed" option. Heck it pretty much is. You just have the experience to ask for it.

Charles
Good point! I have to wonder about some dealers though. They're so backed up with repair and warranty work, I bet it's hard to get ahead enough in the service bays to offer this very profitable service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Oh I agree, anything that slows down the assembly line and varies from the standard adds cost and time.

There were some manufacturers who tried to build custom units but they are not here anymore and likely the profits were the reason.

They aftermarket stuff is not hard to install and there are loads of places that will do them if you are not so inclined.
Heck, that's half the fun for me! I love tinkering on my trailer, changing things and upgrading things, finding new gadgets... OTOH, there are some things I'd rather not deal with, like tires. They should just put quality tires on, mark up the price a little, and be done with it.

Just a note, none of this is unique to Jayco. My neighbor has a Montana 5th wheel that has Blowmax tires on it. Granted they're well within spec based on his GVWR, but they're still Blowmaxes.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #24

I didn't think I bought a "standard" rv when I purchased my Jayco. I sure didn't pay standard money for it. Just plain and simple, if I buy any product I expect it to work.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #25

I think I'll try a little experiment today. After checking around the web, I believe my tank sensors are the type shown in the picture. It's a simple expandable rubber fitting that holds the sensor onto the tank. I'm going to attempt to remove one and clean it up to see if it works again. Unless the rubber has hardened, it should work. And if it does work, it could become a simple regular maintenance chore that would ensure having a working tank level system.

Here's a link to Amazon showing the sensor. Cost is $4.86 each for new sensors.
Waste Tank Sensor
Attached Images

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #26

If you are going to the trouble of removing your sensors why not replace them with these?

Horst Mircacle Probes - Get accurate reading on your RV's holding tanks

From the reports I have heard they work well and do not have the problem of typical rv probes.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwiss View Post
If you are going to the trouble of removing your sensors why not replace them with these?

Horst Mircacle Probes - Get accurate reading on your RV's holding tanks

From the reports I have heard they work well and do not have the problem of typical rv probes.
Sure, I can do that! When can I expect you to send me the $$$ ?

Seriously, I like to make improvements and repairs with the least possible dollar cost. Cleaning the sensors costs only some time. If I wasn't living cheap, waiting for social security to kick in, or I had plenty of disposable cash, I'd get that sensor system in a heartbeat. And thanks for pointing those out, dzwiss!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote