Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

The Asian Camper

I'm asian and so is my family.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen any other asian campers out there, because in 2 years, I haven't. We've been from NY all the way down to FL and camped 55 days in 2 years.

And here in PA, I did confirm with the Ford dealership that I was the first asian in their history to buy a Super Duty truck.
klinner28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

Now that you mention it, we rarely see any asians out camping. We do see some once in a while but I almost think most are Canadians. Either way, welcome! What camper do you have?

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

I have a Vietnamese friend who went camping with me one weekend and we had a Vietnamese family in a Jayco in the site next t o us. Turns out my friend and the family shared the same hometown in Vietnam.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Now that you mention it, we rarely see any asians out camping. We do see some once in a while but I almost think most are Canadians. Either way, welcome! What camper do you have?
We got a 2017 Eagle 314bhds. We go to Fort Wilderness every March now for spring break, but otherwise go to New York state and Delaware beaches rest of summer.

No one has ever looked at us funny or anything. I think campers don't even notice race and are just friendly. They typically come up and comment on our 3 young girls.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

I have a few Asian friends that go camping and have come across a few in our travels. That said I don't think camping is a big part of Asian culture in general but I'm not sure why.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Welcome from down the road in Harrisburg, PA.

My niece and her family have Asian friends and they come back to their campground a couple times a year. My kids enjoy playing with their kids.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
We got a 2017 Eagle 314bhds. We go to Fort Wilderness every March now for spring break, but otherwise go to New York state and Delaware beaches rest of summer.

No one has ever looked at us funny or anything. I think campers don't even notice race and are just friendly. They typically come up and comment on our 3 young girls.
If you have kids, Try Assateague State park sometime. They will enjoy that.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Just curious if anyone has ever seen any other asian campers out there, because in 2 years, I haven't.
Welcome to JOF! We haven't enjoyed the company of Asian campers yet, but do follow Joe and Kait Russo on their camper van life YouTube channel 'We're The Russo's.' We really enjoy watching their adventures, and Kait's Korean cooking in her Instant Pot.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Site Team

We have camped next to a few but not many. It was a very nice young family with a new fifth wheel and truck.

First trip out on one in NC and we were able to show them a good many things that the dealer neglected to show them like how to back a truck and how to disconnect the fifth wheel and level it.

Makes you wonder how someone could sell a rig and let them out of the lot without basic knowledge.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #11

I have hosted and camped many times at Dosewallips State Park in Washington State. This campground is on Hood Canal in western Washington. I have seen many Asian families and groups camp there. They generally come from across the water (Seattle area) and come as a large group.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #12

Living in California with our large Asian population we've seen many Asian families camping.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
...snip

I think campers don't even notice race and are just friendly. They typically come up and comment on our 3 young girls.
That's exactly the point I was going to make. I can't answer your original question, because I just don't notice that.

I notice what brand campers there are, what brand/size trucks there are, what kinds and brands of motorhomes there are, what kind of "stuff" people put out, how many kids and what ages, but I never pay attention to what "brand" the people are; it's all the same to me ... "campers".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #14

Agree with Camper bob and Kliner28, campers be campers regardless of race!
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
That's exactly the point I was going to make. I can't answer your original question, because I just don't notice that.

I notice what brand campers there are, what brand/size trucks there are, what kinds and brands of motorhomes there are, what kind of "stuff" people put out, how many kids and what ages, but I never pay attention to what "brand" the people are; it's all the same to me ... "campers".
I think what you notice about race, nationality depends on your background. I'm mixed race (father African-American, mother Irish, English, Dutch, Germany). Most people think I'm Italian or Hispanic. I have grandchildren (fifteen of them) that range from a milk white to a dark chocolate complexion.

During one of our first trips to Disney World my then very dark skin, teenage grandson had a very serious look on his face. I asked him "what's the matter" and his response was "there are no Black people here". What??? I know that there were some African-Americans at Disney but he is so use to the ratio seen in our community in NY that to him there were "no" Black people at Disney. I had to explain to him that African-Americans only make up about 16% of the total U.S. population and in some states it's only 1%.

As individuals we have different sensitivities to our surroundings and will notice or not notice certain things based on our background and sensitivities.

Another story. My wife is a dark skin Puerto Rican. A while back we were talking about places to retire. A friend of mine that lives in Florida mentioned East Tenn as a prime location. I mentioned that to my wife and her first response was "are there any Puerto Ricans in East Tenn?" I wasn't even thinking in terms of racial background as a consideration for where we might relocate when we retire but given her background and experiences it was one of the first thinks she thought about.

So what one person (myself) was clueless about as far as a consideration on where to retire was forefront in her mind. Again, people will notice or miss these issues depending on their background and experience.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 11-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #16
Site Team

I'm a "Content of your Character" type guy, no matter the ethnicity. If I'm in the wrong place, I'll just leave.

Campers are pretty much all over the range of the general population IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #17

It is an interesting observation about nature vs nurture for campers though. I think the majority of campers do it because they have a history of it. People sometimes ask why I want to spend my two weeks of summer vacation at a campground. The only I answer I have is "because that's what we do". We love it and it's our thing.

Culturally in our area I hear a lot of East European languages (probably Russian, Polish, Slavic languages - but I'm no linguist) spoken round the campfire. I think that is because culturally those societies put some focus on getting back to nature and have a stronger love of it. For them it's Nature.

But I'm always happy to see newbie campers at the campground, because it only takes that first visit (going well) to start down the path that Nurtures a new love. Hopefully for their kids, it will be thought of as second Nature and they won't think twice about why they go camping!

Of course at least once a year you also see that campsite where you know it's their first and absolutely LAST time camping. It is not in their Nature, and there will be no way to Nurture it. A couple of season's ago example dumped their tent in the fire pit on the way out. Luckily the pit was cold, and I rescued the tent. Same tent as our backup gear tent; all the parts were there except for the spider that connects all the poles at the peak. I still wonder if that was the beginning of a really bad weekend...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #18

Right on cultural. My parents never took me camping nor have they ever had any interest in it.

Stereotyping my own race, I know exactly why they don't go camping.

But to me, it's the best times of the year. There's nothing like being hooked up, everyone buckled, and then driving out to the destination.

I'm also an avid cyclist, so camping allows me to bring my hobby along and explore new areas. We're not great campers tho. In 2 years, we've never turned on the inside or outside stove - wife refuses to cook on vacation and we love restaurants.

If I ever do see an asian family camping, I'm pretty sure I'd approach them and mingle.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm asian and so is my family.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen any other asian campers out there, because in 2 years, I haven't. We've been from NY all the way down to FL and camped 55 days in 2 years.

And here in PA, I did confirm with the Ford dealership that I was the first asian in their history to buy a Super Duty truck.

Come down here to Texas. You’ll see plenty. I know one that lives in Magnolia and he drives a super duty as well. [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Come down here to Texas. You’ll see plenty. I know one that lives in Magnolia and he drives a super duty as well. [emoji3]
I found this funny because I use to attend a Korean church (part of my Korean language study). One Sunday a couple came in (he's a white American she's Korean) and after the church service we spent some time talking. Somehow the subject of vehicles came up and I mentioned that I had a Chevy Silverado. His comment to me was something on the order of "I was wondering what Korean was driving that Silverado in the parking lot"...not . Actually I was the only one in the congregation that drove a truck. I've never seen any of my Asian friend driving a truck. Another one of those culturing things.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC