Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #1

The Battery struggle is real.

So we have had our 2019 Alante for a couple years and the struggle with keeping batteries fresh seems to be a constant. I wish we used it more frequently but...well you know. Just recently I ordered a small solar panel that has suction cups for the windshield and is supposed to put out 5W in direct sunlight made by Battery Tender, hoping this cures the issue for the truck battery this winter. I'll receive it in a couple days. This does not address the coach batteries, wondering if roof mounted solar panels keep your batteries up when in storage? I would consider a permanent mount solar panel if the I could solve all my battery issues with one panel. I don't have any shore power in storage and showing up to dead/low batteries is not fun and the wife is less than impressed. Please lets hear your methods for attacking this as I'm still a rookie at the RV thing.
PJ & Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ & Janna View Post
Please lets hear your methods for attacking this as I'm still a rookie at the RV thing.

Same, same... I popped $40 or so for a 20 watt panel that hangs off the front fender in the lot and keeps the chassis battery charged.

And Yes, I have 200 watts of Solar now that keeps the house battery charged while in storage.

Others just yank the batteries out, and bring the "home" to put on trickle chargers. Other others pull the wires off the terminals (or install a 'real' disconnect switch.).
Old 10-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

Battery Tender in the (Group 27) same box as the Group 24) battery. Plugged in 24/7 in storage, 5 years. On 2nd battery now.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #4

I remove the batteries and keep them charged with battery tenders. Inexpensive and works well.

If I was going solar, I would experiment with the panel(s) not permanently mounted until I was satisfied with the result.

If your hiring a pro to do the installation, they should be able to get you what you need without the testing.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I remove the batteries and keep them charged with battery tenders. Inexpensive and works well.

If I was going solar, I would experiment with the panel(s) not permanently mounted until I was satisfied with the result.
X2 Battery Tenders are priceless in my opinion.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #6

The battery in our 5th will drain in less that a month even if the batt disconnect is switched to OFF. The reason is parasitic drain (CO detector is an example). I used to remove the negative lead to the batt but after some batt thefts in our storage lot I remove it and take it home. Periodically I will charge it and always charge it a day or two before we hit the road. I also leave the batt compartment unlocked should someone want to take a look.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
X2 Battery Tenders are priceless in my opinion.
Yep!
This is the unit I used on the dual battery setup in our pontoon boat.
https://www.schumacherelectric.com/p...-maintainer-1/
Will buy another when our new boat comes in.

As for the camper, we leave it plugged in year round.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #8

Any of those with battery tender knowledge...is there an advantage to using a tender over keeping the trailer plugged in year round and having the converter keep the batteries charged?
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #9

This is the unit I have on order..

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ndshield-Mount
PJ & Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctardi View Post
Any of those with battery tender knowledge...is there an advantage to using a tender over keeping the trailer plugged in year round and having the converter keep the batteries charged?

I would not think so.
Seems to me either would work for float charging.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

As for the chassis battery you can rely on the small solar panel to keep battery fresh. I would check to see how much drain you have on the battery when parked. Your little 5w solar panel may not be able to keep up with the parasitic draw on the battery. As for the house batteries if they have been drained to nothing a couple times they are probably on their last legs. When you upgrade go with lithium as they will hold their charge forever when completely charged when parked as lead acid will gradually lose charge. You can now get 200 amp/hrs lithium for less than $1000, around the same price as AGM. Check out SOK lithium batteries.
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
I don't know, but I had the same question and asked a rep at WFCO. The answer I got was "it's better to remove the batteries." I don't think it would make any difference to the batteries as long as they are being float charged. My guess is that it's better (easier) on the converter.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I don't know, but I had the same question and asked a rep at WFCO. The answer I got was "it's better to remove the batteries." I don't think it would make any difference to the batteries as long as they are being float charged. My guess is that it's better (easier) on the converter.
Yes, I think I'd rather be buying a new tender every few years than a new converter every few years.
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:
It would depend on the converter you have. I believe most modern converters have multi-stage charging (my WFCO has it) that would facilitate automatic switching over to storage charge for batteries once they’re full. I heard some of the older model converters don’t do as well a job so ends up boiling away the battery. So I would say if you don’t know what your converter is actually doing, then better to just pull off/disconnect your batteries.

I use various Battery Tenders / Battery Minders constantly plugged to battery for ongoing maintenance. Some claim to have special pulse charges that the manufacturer says helps to desulphate the plates inside the battery. I don’t know if this actually works or not but I do have a 14 year old battery that’s still going strong to this day that’s maintained by such particular Battery Minder. So go figure. Maybe it does work some magic.
2-yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #15

I am new to trailer life however I have been researching this for a few months now planning as I don't like AGM or LA batteries at all!

In my new trailer, a 2022 model at that, I was unpleasantly surprised that it didn't have a lithium power center/charger. It ha the standard WF-8735-P not the WF-8735-LIS. To add to that Jayco uses the GE model which has smaller circuit breakers and harder to find, in fact I cant find one...

I called WFCO and they confirmed that the one I have will in fact charge LiFePo4 batteries but not to 100%. They will only get to around 90-93% due to the multi stage charging and it would go into trickle too quickly. But most importantly it will still work.

I also have 190w of solar on the roof so when parked I just leave the battery key in and connected and allow the solar charger to top it all off and keep it on trickle. Not sure if this is good or bad but I cant see that it would be any different from a normal trickle charger in a garage.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #16

i have a 2022 171bh with go power 190 watt solar mounted on the roof. keeps 2 on board batteries fully charged at all times. no tender needed.
Mbfd478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #17

I have one 120W solar panel mounted on my roof and it runs through a cheap PWM controller. I never even bother plugging my trailer in for the winter; my 2 6V batteries are always ready to go.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #18

Harbor Freight Thunderbolt Solar Panel Kit

This is what I use when my 2017 Alante is in storage.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-wa...kit-63585.html

During the summer I deploy two of the panels and batteries are kept at full charge. During winter months I deploy all four panels due to shorter and less intense sunlight. Again, batteries are maintained at full charge.
Jmkinsella54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #19

our class c is plugged in yr round. it keeps both coach and chassis batt. charged due to multi directional charging system. if you use a battery tender is is imperative that the battery is 100 % charged. battery tender will maintain 100% battery but will not bring the batt. up to 100%. from experience.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ & Janna View Post
So we have had our 2019 Alante for a couple years and the struggle with keeping batteries fresh seems to be a constant. I wish we used it more frequently but...well you know. Just recently I ordered a small solar panel that has suction cups for the windshield and is supposed to put out 5W in direct sunlight made by Battery Tender, hoping this cures the issue for the truck battery this winter. I'll receive it in a couple days. This does not address the coach batteries, wondering if roof mounted solar panels keep your batteries up when in storage? I would consider a permanent mount solar panel if the I could solve all my battery issues with one panel. I don't have any shore power in storage and showing up to dead/low batteries is not fun and the wife is less than impressed. Please lets hear your methods for attacking this as I'm still a rookie at the RV thing.
Check the tenders occasionally. I had one crap out and it took the battery as well.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote