Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Very well said....and as I don't consider myself an introvert, I tend to avoid people because of the annoyingly defensive, self absorbed nature of people today.
How sad
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
How sad
It is sad and I don't like it but it doesn't apply all people.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #63

I'll leave something not based on facts

It has to be the lack of tobacco based smoking! This is my favorite American myth that Americans were slimmer back-in-the-day because they smoked real cigarettes. Yeah...that nonsense...

No way is it the large amounts of corn syrup we consume all day in every piece of product we buy: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...de-by-country/

Donkin Donuts is right...we 'run' on that crap...
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleebrock View Post
It has to be the lack of tobacco based smoking! This is my favorite American myth that Americans were slimmer back-in-the-day because they smoked real cigarettes. Yeah...that nonsense...

No way is it the large amounts of corn syrup we consume all day in every piece of product we buy: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...de-by-country/

Donkin Donuts is right...we 'run' on that crap...
I was trying not to bring that up as I did not want to violate the TOS, however this, this and this again HFCS is really really bad, even though I know that I can't stop (it really is an addiction). As I understand it HFCS is not allowed in food in the UK (I am not 100% sure and could be wrong), I know all processed food in the UK has a lot less sugar and even that is unhealthy crap. We eat those for convenience, but they are bad for us. There are changes that could be made, but that would require government regulations and make companies less money, so there is no way it will happen. We have to break ourselves of the habits of those, which is hard, very very hard, I know I still fail at it.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
When we have to dispatch fire depts out for “lift assists” and our ambulances now being outfitted with lift systems because patients are getting so obese we can’t physically lift them is there not a problem to discuss?
Thank you for saying that. My father had 30+ years in the fire department. He was lifting an obese patient into an ambulance with his EMT partner and tore his rotator cuff and bicep. While it was operable, the chances of him hurting himself again and worse was so high the doctor didn't want to do it. He was on light duty for a year while the city dithered about retiring him on disability. It nearly broke him when the tones went off, the crews rolled out, and he was left behind. I saw what that did to him and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Please be careful out there!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #66

Actually we are more active while camping.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #67

You are exactly right. Anyone who camps is more active then someone who doesn’t. It’s a bit of work to load the camper and the tow vehicle. To set up camp. To break camp and then clean up everything back at home. This thread is about a few who judge other people who have other activities while camping other than their own. And then they got defensive and said they weren’t judging lol. I have no idea how talking about lifting obese people out of homes has to do with camping other than to try and defend previous judgmental posts. I guess the next thread will be getting obese people out of their camper or getting them to stay home so no one has to look at them not bike or not hike lol!!!! Live your life and let others do the same... I’m not trying to change you so don’t be trying to change others please... God bless us all.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
You are exactly right. Anyone who camps is more active then someone who doesn’t. It’s a bit of work to load the camper and the tow vehicle. To set up camp. To break camp and then clean up everything back at home. This thread is about a few who judge other people who have other activities while camping other than their own. And then they got defensive and said they weren’t judging lol. I have no idea how talking about lifting obese people out of homes has to do with camping other than to try and defend previous judgmental posts. I guess the next thread will be getting obese people out of their camper or getting them to stay home so no one has to look at them not bike or not hike lol!!!! Live your life and let others do the same... I’m not trying to change you so don’t be trying to change others please... God bless us all.
Lifting obese people out of homes, vehicles, off the floors of stores and sidewalks while risking injury because of this issue has everything to do with the topic we are discussing. The topic being discussed is as a whole this country has become more and more obese. I mean, if being judgmental is agreeing with every news article, medical journal, EMS workers and ER Docs that see and report on this dilemma day in and day out then I am indeed guilty. So when a doctor tells someone they’d be better off losing some weight they are being “judgmental? Scientists saying we as a nation are headed for a major medical health crisis if this trend continues are being judgmental? A morbidly obese person once upon a time was an anomaly, and was a news worthy event. Now it so common it’s almost the new normal. I’d never even heard of Type II diabetes when I was growing up, now it’s everywhere. I mean come on, a self imposed disease that is a direct result from poor diet, and obesity is so normal almost everyone knows someone who has it. I guess I’m just crazy, let’s all just hug and ignore the obvious, I’m sure it will be fine
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #69

In just 3 generations
Attached Thumbnails
276B1078-CD4D-4E9D-B5B4-C20E9576B3D3.jpg  
Old 08-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #70

Quote:
Lifting obese people out of homes, vehicles, off the floors of stores and sidewalks while risking injury because of this issue has everything to do with the topic we are discussing. The topic being discussed is as a whole this country has become more and more obese. I mean, if being judgmental is agreeing with every news article, medical journal, EMS workers and ER Docs that see and report on this dilemma day in and day out then I am indeed guilty. So when a doctor tells someone they’d be better off losing some weight they are being “judgmental? Scientists saying we as a nation are headed for a major medical health crisis if this trend continues are being judgmental? A morbidly obese person once upon a time was an anomaly, and was a news worthy event. Now it so common it’s almost the new normal. I’d never even heard of Type II diabetes when I was growing up, now it’s everywhere. I mean come on, a self imposed disease that is a direct result from poor diet, and obesity is so normal almost everyone knows someone who has it. I guess I’m just crazy, let’s all just hug and ignore the obvious, I’m sure it will be fine

Nope, this thread was about RV lifestyle. Go back and read the title... Your long posts about whatever else doesn’t change anything in regards to you few who judge your fellow campers’ camping habits. I won’t post anymore on here as you will only seek to defend your judgmental behavior over and over. God bless you and happy camping...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #71

Quote:
Nope, this thread was about RV lifestyle. Go back and read the title... Your long posts about whatever else doesn’t change anything in regards to you few who judge your fellow campers’ camping habits. I won’t post anymore on here as you will only seek to defend your judgmental behavior over and over. God bless you and happy camping...
I wouldn’t ever shame someone overweight. I have no idea what they are dealing with. I’m not going to pat their backs and say everything is ok, keep eating double cheeseburgers, but I won’t judge. I’ve never meant any of these posts to be about that. It’s supposed to be a discussion about an issue we as a group have noticed about ourselves but people keep getting offended and twist it to be a stone throwing event.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #72

Quote:
Lol, it says obesity right in the title!
Old 08-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #73

I try to camp near water or bike trails, there are hiking trails everywhere, I agree, we eat more wile camping and yeah ... drink a beer or two more but we definitely do a lot more exercise while camping , bike rides, kayak rides and we hike our dogs at least twice a day on 1.5 miles and often more then that, so like everything else in life, is up to you and your good or bad habits that lead you to a heavier body set (I’m not necessarily a skinny guy but exercise keeps me healthy)
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #74
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I try to camp near water or bike trails, there are hiking trails everywhere, I agree, we eat more wile camping and yeah ... drink a beer or two more but we definitely do a lot more exercise while camping , bike rides, kayak rides and we hike our dogs at least twice a day on 1.5 miles and often more then that, so like everything else in life, is up to you and your good or bad habits that lead you to a heavier body set (I’m not necessarily a skinny guy but exercise keeps me healthy)
We are getting ready to go on a ride as we speak. I get the pleasure of pulling my 5 year old in the trailer. Great workout for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
20200818_103713.jpg  
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
We are getting ready to go on a ride as we speak. I get the pleasure of pulling my 5 year old in the trailer. Great workout for sure.
Lol, that’s the same trailer we have. Pulling my 3 year old is definitely some good resistance training!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #76

Quote:
Lol, that’s the same trailer we have. Pulling my 3 year old is definitely some good resistance training!
I remember those days. I had two little ones in the trailer at once. Definitely got a workout! Now I know how the Silverado feels when I attach the Jayco!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #77

Quote:
I just feel the need to correct the Type II information here. There are people who develop type II who have never been overweight and there are people who are 500 pounds and never develop Type II. Most type II people will have a family history of it, there seems to be a genetic issue at work here. Now being obese will contribute to the development of Type II earlier if you are pre disposed to it. I am a great example of this. I am the 4th generation of my family (on my mothers side) to have type II, I am obese and have been for most of my life (like most men on my dads side). I developed Type II early, If I had of eaten better and exercised I could have delayed it to my 50's, but I would likely have developed it no matter what. My mum was in her 50's when she got it, my grandmother was 50's or 60's when she developed it. I am not sure about my great grandmother I just know she also had it. Ironically my uncle on my dads side who I remember being over 21 stone never developed it.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
I have pulled this trailer so much that I don't feel that I get a decent workout if it isn't attached to my bike. A couple weeks ago, my wife and I had the opportunity to ride alone and didn't have the kids with us. We did 26+ miles and I didn't feel like I did a thing without the extra weight and wind resistance.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
I just feel the need to correct the Type II information here. There are people who develop type II who have never been overweight and there are people who are 500 pounds and never develop Type II. Most type II people will have a family history of it, there seems to be a genetic issue at work here. Now being obese will contribute to the development of Type II earlier if you are pre disposed to it. I am a great example of this. I am the 4th generation of my family (on my mothers side) to have type II, I am obese and have been for most of my life (like most men on my dads side). I developed Type II early, If I had of eaten better and exercised I could have delayed it to my 50's, but I would likely have developed it no matter what. My mum was in her 50's when she got it, my grandmother was 50's or 60's when she developed it. I am not sure about my great grandmother I just know she also had it. Ironically my uncle on my dads side who I remember being over 21 stone never developed it.
100% true, some people will get Type II and some people won’t, no real evidence why. Same as my sister is Type I and has been since she was around 6 yrs old, no one else in our family is. The common theme though is Type II is a completely controllable and preventable disease that is cause by poor diet. Unfortunately it runs hand in hand with obesity due to obvious reasons and more often than not an obese person is or will become Type II and not even realize it’s happening. Blood work can give you a warning before the negative side effects show up. Also it seems to be reversible with good diet and exercise in almost all instances. My wife had a battle with a hyperactive thyroid which needed put in check. Now she’s hypoactive and battles with weight gain. Recent bloodwork showed she was knocking on the door of Type II and it was a reality check. She’s now making more effort to eat much better and be more active. We’ve always eaten relatively healthy and been active people, she just has to work even harder now. Yes, it’s possible to be relatively small and still develop Type II diabetes. It’s just much more rare.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #80

When I was a kid we went camping and I don't ever recall seeing obese people. When we camp you have to buy and cook the food.

Today our winter adventures are taking cruises. You know the stuff, eating all day long and its free food. If you want to see obese, go on a cruise.

One of my other hobbies is boating. Today kayaks are all the rage. The most predominant kayaker is a fat lady. I just can't get over it.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote