Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #41

I'll update you this winter. Lol. That was the only time we took it out during the winter this last year.

For me, I was able to get flow from the drain without much effort. I think in my case, I believe my water line after the pump, goes back and rests against the frame as it goes back. I think I need to get it off the frame and insulate it as well. Not totally sure. But I want to do some stuff and see how it goes this winter.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #42
Lost in the Woods

What thermal package?

Just took out our new '20 Jayflight SLX Baja Package out for the first time in cold weather. Temps hit just below 20 degrees and all water lines were frozen in the morning. Temp inside was maintained at 68 degrees thru the night.

Not so happy about this issue. I really feel ripped off that my trailer which included a "thermal package" offers no cold weather protection whatsoever!
20jayflightslx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #43

Sorry to hear about your trouble. From the post, I'm guessing your lines above the floor were fine. They probably froze below the floor. While most everyone claims (in addition to Jayco) their bellies are enclosed/heated, many use radiant heat from the ducts below the floor, not a real vent to the basement. And some of it will really depend on how large the belly is compared with how big a vent there is. Also, if you're supplementing with electric heat (ie. electric heater in the trailer), the furnace will run less and even with the upper area staying well above freezing, the belly could still hit freezing temps enough to freeze the lines.

While your model may have a vent of heat down there, if your furnace doesn't run enough, the under floor will still get cold enough to freeze. Sometimes there are places where they run the water line (even above the floor) right against the wall or metal frame. If that's the case, those lines will freeze unless insulated.

I do a lot of middle of winter, cold weather camping. I don't trust anything a manufacturer says about there models. This is why I do my heat trace and insulation as soon as I get a new unit. I've been in our previous trailer in below -40F lows with highs of negative single digits for a week straight with no frozen lines (and -23F lows in my current Eagle). But, I've done a lot of work on my own to ensure mine don't freeze.

This is by no means a knock on you. (I know text doesn't always convey as intended.) I definitely understand your frustration with how they market these units as being able to handle cold weather.

I sure hope you're able to thaw out without any issues. The good side is that the pex tubing they use is very resilient. Connectors are usually the failure points. Sorry again to hear about your freeze up.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #44
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for the info. I did not use an electric heater to help heat the trailer.

I am realizing now this problem is more a Jayco problem when they offer something as a true 4 seasons package. They market it as such. They sell it to the end consumer as an additional package. So myself, the end consumer is communicated all this information about how it should work...and it doesn’t...then this is obviously something Jayco should address.

Clearly I am not the only person who has had this issue. I should not have to pay for a trailer with said package and have to put more time/money for it to work.

Hopefully plumbing is still good...if not we will have serious problems.
20jayflightslx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #45

Yes, I agree with you 100%. If they tell you it should work, it should work. And honestly with a 4 season, it should work in the temps you've communicated. Mine I believe claims 4 season. It was supposedly tested down to 0F for 8 hours in their test building.

I never tested without my mods. But know from our previous trailer's trips what others went through without my mods in the cold temps I mentioned. It would have been an interesting experiment. I do know many have had the same issues you have had with the 4 season package. And I would definitely be upset as you are if I had your problems with it.

I do hope all your plumbing is well and you can get the issues fixed without any more problems so you can enjoy your unit as you'd intended.

Be sure to update what you're able to find out. It may help others here in the future.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote