Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2022, 10:07 AM   #1

Thermostats with WIFI

I have a Dometic single zone thermostat for that controls my Dometic 15K BTU roof top AC. We've only had our camper for a month or so and I'm quickly learning how crappy this Dometic thermostat is. I'm looking at replacing it and wondering about the WIFI thermostats. EasyTouch is the only one that makes a WIFI thermostat for my camper that I have found. Not cheap (250 bucks) but sure would be handy since most of the time we keep our camper parked at an RV park.

Anyone have or heard any feedback (positive or negative) on these WIFI thermostats for RV's?
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #2

I do not have any wifi thermostats. I do have a lot of wifi integrated items at the SB house. One thing you will need is a wireless router for a WIFI system. You do not need internet to make a wifi router work. But without the net, you cannot log in remotely and monitor it. Now if you can find a Bluetooth based unit. Now it just pairs up to your phone.

Are you thinking you could log in from home, and turn on the AC in route to the TT? To me that would be the primary reason for one.

If it was me, I would purchase a digital thermostat and just press a button when you want it on/off or to change the temp.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #3

I have a Micro Air Thermostat that I used to replace the POS Dometic OEM. The Micro Air has Bluetooth and Wifi Capabilities and can send notifications when certain parameters are met. It wasn't cheap but it solved multiple problems for me including the AC Short Cycling and I can monitor internal temps while away from the camper.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #4

What Jagiven said - me too. What's your WiFi thermostat going to connect to? You could Hotspot your phone. Many of them want to connect to the Internet too.

Since I'm a nerd, our RV has it's own network and access point. My WiFi goodies connect the the RV network and then out an onto the Internet.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I Are you thinking you could log in from home, and turn on the AC in route to the TT? To me that would be the primary reason for one.

If it was me, I would purchase a digital thermostat and just press a button when you want it on/off or to change the temp.
Yep that's the only reason. We have a 3 hour drive to our camper and it'd be nice to not have to wait a couple of hours before it cools down.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I have a Micro Air Thermostat that I used to replace the POS Dometic OEM. The Micro Air has Bluetooth and Wifi Capabilities and can send notifications when certain parameters are met. It wasn't cheap but it solved multiple problems for me including the AC Short Cycling and I can monitor internal temps while away from the camper.
Thanks I'll check into that. I'm also having short cycling issues.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
What Jagiven said - me too. What's your WiFi thermostat going to connect to? You could Hotspot your phone. Many of them want to connect to the Internet too.

Since I'm a nerd, our RV has it's own network and access point. My WiFi goodies connect the the RV network and then out an onto the Internet.
We have unusually great wifi at our RV park. I've had a Govee WiFi thermometer connected no issues. We stream tv and both work too on that RV park internet
Old 08-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Since you mentioned your network what is the advantage to having a router versus say a mobile hotspot? I know there will be some areas a mobile hotspot won't have good reception but we stay in Rockport pretty much all the time and don't venture out much in the RV. And all 3 carriers get great reception in Rockport. As far as devices go we would at the most have 2 laptops occasionally downloading medium size files, 2 cell phones and maybe a TV streaming Netflix. We rarely have 2 TV's going at the same time streaming movies and we don't have any kids that would be gaming. Wouldn't a mobile hotspot run these devices? I wouldn't get a mobile hotspot unless it had an antenna port to hook up an antenna just in case.

I appreciate your feedback. I'm not too savvy on the latest mobile internet stuff.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Since you mentioned your network what is the advantage to having a router versus say a mobile hotspot?

None.

I'm a nerd and I wanted to see if I could roll my own mobile router, for a couple of reasons. So it's a Raspberry Pi with it's internal wifi acting as the RV's access point and a second WiFi adapter bridged to the internet.

Pure nerding out.
No real value.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:
We have unusually great wifi at our RV park. I've had a Govee WiFi thermometer connected no issues. We stream tv and both work too on that RV park internet
Wow, a CG with working WiFi is rare in my experience. Every CG has one but the lion’s share are essentially unusable. After I retired I did a little consulting and tried to work remotely a couple of times and quickly found that if there wasn’t a Starbucks nearby I was SOL.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #11

I have a wifi thermostat at home. It will give you two features over the standard thermostat. First it will tell you what the inside temperature is. Second you can turn the AC/Heat on or off and set the temperature. That's two nice features. But, you'll need the internet to connect to. You won't need very fast speed but you will need it to connect.
Downside: Each wifi that you use you'll need to connect the thermostat to it and reset the password. But if you have your own wifi you won't need to do this.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:53 AM   #12

Check your dealer for a Bluetooth solution, that way its carrying a full warranty from your dealer.

There's already an integrated solution offered by Jayco, the Jayo Command app, but it has a lot of features and controls pumps, jacks, bump-outs, a/c, lights, and shows water tank levels and monitors tire pressure, so installation of that would be overkill.....
Lazierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazierfan View Post
Check your dealer for a Bluetooth solution, that way its carrying a full warranty from your dealer.

There's already an integrated solution offered by Jayco, the Jayo Command app, but it has a lot of features and controls pumps, jacks, bump-outs, a/c, lights, and shows water tank levels and monitors tire pressure, so installation of that would be overkill.....
I mentioned above I want to be able to cool the camper down before we get there since our camper is parked at an RV park for months at a time. That's the reason for WIFI. Bluetooth has no benefit for me.

Also I'm the second owner on my Jayco so I have no dealer or factory warranty on the AC/thermostat.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #14

Quote:
I mentioned above I want to be able to cool the camper down before we get there since our camper is parked at an RV park for months at a time. That's the reason for WIFI. Bluetooth has no benefit for me.

Also I'm the second owner on my Jayco so I have no dealer or factory warranty on the AC/thermostat.
ok, thx for clarifying,
but any additional hardware has its own warranty.
Lazierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazierfan View Post
ok, thx for clarifying,
but any additional hardware has its own warranty.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Anyone have or heard any feedback (positive or negative) on these WIFI thermostats for RV's?

Just back from our first camping vacay in our 2013 Whitehawk 28DSBH since installing an Easy Touch thermostat.

Expensive, yes, and I didn't actually bother to remotely connect over wifi, but did get it connected so it shows the outside temperature and gets updates, etc.

What I like most about it is the ability to set temperatures digitally, rather than the analog slider (so you don't really know what the temperature is).

The display also turns the numbers blue when the compressor is running, which is a nice touch (no pun intended).

You only live once, and I'm glad I've got it, though my wife has no idea what it cost
dslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslee View Post
Just back from our first camping vacay in our 2013 Whitehawk 28DSBH since installing an Easy Touch thermostat.

Expensive, yes, and I didn't actually bother to remotely connect over wifi, but did get it connected so it shows the outside temperature and gets updates, etc.

What I like most about it is the ability to set temperatures digitally, rather than the analog slider (so you don't really know what the temperature is).

The display also turns the numbers blue when the compressor is running, which is a nice touch (no pun intended).

You only live once, and I'm glad I've got it, though my wife has no idea what it cost
Thanks for the feedback! I have purchased an Easy Touch. Just waiting for my sore back to get better so I can head down to where our camper is and get it installed.