Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #121

OK, here's my 2 cents (Or six-penn'orth, as we used to say :-)

Why, when installing the ceiling lights in our Jayfeather, did somebody decide to put one in exactly the right place to get hit by the closet door? A couple of inches either way, would have been fine, but...

And, while I'm whining... Why do I have to run the slide out, to change the battery in the smoke detector?

In fairness, Jayco aren't alone in this... my car requires me to remove the intake manifold in order to change the plugs.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #122

Why are the LP hoses for the out side kitchen and the front hose for a BarBQ secured to the bottom of the FW with zip ties and not terminated with quick disconnects?
drwnkw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtrobb View Post
On my 5er they located the electrical service connection directly below the city water inlet connection. I try to make sure that my water hose connection is tight but as y'all know there is an occasional leak and when is does, water runs right down on the electrical connection and down the extension cord. What was the electrical engineer thinking?
Mine is like that too. I wondered a bit about it until I was outside during a rainstorm. Water was running all over the shore connection.

The engineer probably thought, hey, it's waterproof so why not put it under the water connection

Yes, I am also an engineer and I still don't like to see the water drip on it. But, if a heavy rain storm won't mess it up, what's with a few drops of water.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwnkw67 View Post
Why are the LP hoses for the out side kitchen and the front hose for a BarBQ secured to the bottom of the FW with zip ties and not terminated with quick disconnects?
Mine do have quick disconnects as well as shut off valves. I did not see any held up with zip ties.

There were a couple of places where the LP hose hung down a little bit. I got some Pclips and secured them to the frame.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #125

the smoke detector is in the way of the overhead cabinet door when fully opened
195 RB 2017
Toyota Tacoma 4wd 6 cyl
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #126

Jayco cheap!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #127

We have an AC vent in the bathroom but no heat vent. Getting out of the shower into 55 degrees gets me moving.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #128

Range hood is internally vented on my 330RSTS. Conveniently, the exhaust from the vent hood points nearly directly at the smoke detector. Multiple fails on this design.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #129

No access panel for water pump or rear of tankless water heater; no access to roller hardware under slides; no lift arms or magnetic holders for cubby doors that open upward; door to access generator on/off and various tank level indicators is in front of RV entrance door, and should open upward so I miss banging my head on it !

2015 Greyhawk 29MV
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #130

Wow maybe that's why my detector goes off so much!On the other side of the coin if I do not turn on the vent for the stove the detector still goes off! Battery gone!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #131

Here's another thing that baffles me in my 2016 23RLSW.

The microwave is mounted next to the ceiling. So high the wife can't safely remove anything that's been heated.

Really stupid engineering.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #132

During our recent tour of the Pinnacle/Seismic 5th wheel manufacturing plant at Jayco in Middlebury, someone in our group asked John MacDonald, who was leading our tour, if the designers/engineers of the Jayco RV's are RV'ers themselves. His answer was, "some are, some are not."

It's my firm belief that which ever designer/engineer designs a proposed new floor plan should be required to live in that floor plan for a minimum of 3 weeks. Let them decide if what they have designed makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Here's another thing that baffles me in my 2016 23RLSW.

The microwave is mounted next to the ceiling. So high the wife can't safely remove anything that's been heated.

Really stupid engineering.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
During our recent tour of the Pinnacle/Seismic 5th wheel manufacturing plant at Jayco in Middlebury, someone in our group asked John MacDonald, who was leading our tour, if the designers/engineers of the Jayco RV's are RV'ers themselves. His answer was, "some are, some are not."

It's my firm belief that which ever designer/engineer designs a proposed new floor plan should be required to live in that floor plan for a minimum of 3 weeks. Let them decide if what they have designed makes any sense.
Very good suggestion. At least have someone that does do RV'ing to give an opinion on the designs some of these poorly thinking designers do.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #134

I hate that the black tank flush connection is directly above the fresh water fill. Granted there should be a one way valve preventing problems but as you remove your hose, water drips down all over the fresh fill cap and vent and it gives me the willies..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #135

Quote:

Totally agree!

But even if it's someone who doesn't RV, there should be a person or small team that goes through the unit head to toe after completion and opens all the doors and cabinets and baggage doors, etc. to evaluate whether the design works in the most basic sense. It needs to be someone who can at least think. They might not think of everything, or catch everything, but at least they would catch stupid things like doors that don't open correctly or completely.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #136
bap

Quote:

Yes and it should be camping without any other facilities around so they are forced to use all aspects of the camper from cooking, cleaning, bathing running the various utilities and so on.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #137

Yep, boondocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Yes and it should be camping without any other facilities around so they are forced to use all aspects of the camper from cooking, cleaning, bathing running the various utilities and so on.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Instead of a pocket door they used an outward swinging door for the bathroom that opens up against the dinette area. You can’t leave the door open because it blocks one half of the seating or opens up into someone. Also the fridge door and bathroom door cannot be open at the same time and if the fridge door is open and someone tries to come out of the bathroom they can’t. A pocket door would have been perfect
Same 2016 23RB with the same issues.

My other issue is the order of the switches in the control panel.
You have a single switch for the ceiling lights.
Then you have a double switch with the outside awning lights and then the switch for the ceiling lights over the sink. You would think both sets of ceiling light switches would be together???
Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #139

They must have fixed some of this stuff on my 2016, I still have a few things but.....
Toilet paper holder is fine.
Step light comes on with door
Black flush below the fresh
Shore power inlet not in utility box
Bathroom vent fan switch on wall within reach of head
Thermostat in good spot (still can't reach it from in bed)
But....
Electrical plug locations baffle the mind
Smoke detector over the stove... really?
Don't need outside TV, like the cooking station idea a lot.
Really bad caulking job
Low point drain sticker on battery box door??
Hard valance prevents hanging closed door from opening all the way.
No lights in any cabinet or closet, added motion sensing led's
Only ONE shelf in a 3' tall pantry, really, I added 2 more with lights.
Very hard access to under dinette seat storage, added two doors w/more lights in the right one and a central vac in the other, with acc storage.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote