Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Site Team

Things people have done that make you proud to be human

I thought this would be a good subject that often is discussed in a negative light.

Here is one of mine: We were camping in central Florida in 2015 and my wife was afflicted with a recurrence of diverticulitis. We decided to come home to get to her regular gastroenterologist. We were headed thru a small town in the panhandle when my truck just shut off as I was nearing the only intersection in a very small town. It would not crank! I was blocking traffic and had nowhere to go. We were calling GSRS when a small wrecker stopped and asked me if I needed help. He hooked a tow rope to my truck and pulled us across the intersection into a vacant lot. He would not take any money for helping and left. GSRS got there in an hour and we dropped the fifth wheel and they took my truck to a local diesel shop. The Ford dealer in the town did not have a diesel technician available, he was on vacation.

The owner of the garage took me back to my rig and we were able to spend the night in the parking lot. There were no rentals available in 50 miles. He even offered to haul my fifth wheel to a nearby campground. The mechanic told me that the HV fuel pump was bad and he could get one in by 7am the next day. I rode my bike there the next morning early , about 2 miles and he was already working on it. Said check back in a few hours. I rode back to the camper where my wife was getting increasingly sicker. We had a 2kw genny keeping us warm as it was in the 40's. There were restaurants nearby and we spent the time trying to find some options to get home if the truck was not repairable. Police came by during the night checking on us.

I rode back up there around 11am and they said the mechanic was out road testing my truck. When he came back, I threw my bike in the back, went to get the camper and we drove all the way home that day.

My wife got a prescription and the next morning had an appt with her Dr. She is still fine. They were thinking she may need surgery but it was controllable with diet and medication.

We often wonder why the Lord looked out for us by sending a tow truck, a knowledgeable mechanic and people that cared about strangers just when we needed them on that trip.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

There are angels among us...
Old 09-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
There are angels among us...
I'm reminded of a bumper sticker that I saw once...

"Drive slower, so that your guardian angel can keep up"

Thank you for posting the story, Norty. We can use a little positivity, about now...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #4

That's fantastic, Morty. Hope your wife gets better soon. It's sure nice to help people out and to be helped when needed.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #5

Passing it on always makes my day.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

My truck broke down on the way home from Florida. We limped it for about 200 miles to get to my Father-in-laws. That was a stressful day. We were able to set up the travel trailer and stay in it for a week while we tried to get the truck going. We ended up renting a car so I could drive the wife and the dog home. Finally got the truck running when I got back and was able to start pulling the trailer on the trip home. About halfway home the truck died in the middle of nowhere. I was at the end of what I could take. I was completely distraught. I was running low on money and could barely afford to hire a tow truck to get me off the highway. I was at the end of the rope. The driver that showed up helped me find out the part that failed and gave me a ride to a parts store so I could get the part. He sold me the oil at his discounted cost. He even bought a wrench on his own dime so I could install the part. Only charged me the fee for showing up. He was a rough guy but was the nicest person I've met in a long time.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:32 AM   #7

Thanks for the post Norty! Love to hear these stories.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #8

Thanks for the reminder that the Lord is always watching out for us!

I’ve had many of these “coincidences” in my life, but my favorite (and most scary) was with my 8 week old, she had a medical condition that required her to be fed thru a NG tube (tube inserted thru nose in to stomach). To make long story short, one day she aspirated on her feeding (food went into lungs) and she turned grey, called 911 and began infant CPR, the ambulance was literally at my house in 30 secs from calling. What makes it more interesting is that, I lived on an unmarked road, that looked like a driveway. The ambulance driver was having a later than normal lunch at a restaurant 1/2 mile from the house, he had just got back to his ambulance, when he heard the call. And if that is not enough, he grew up on the road I lived on!. The ambulance driver stayed with us at the hospital until my daughter was stable, he was a great guy. So I say all that to say there are no coincidences with God, He watches over us.

FYI, my daughter in case you’re wondering has had many complications thru the years from her condition, but is now a normal healthy 17 year old going on 30. PTL!
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #9

Thanks for sharing your story, Norty.

I could offer up a number of experiences but the one I remember the most is one that happened when I was still a young pup well before the cell phone era. I was driving on a rural 2 lane highway when I came upon a car broke down alongside of the road with 2 elderly ladies in it. I couldn’t fix the car but I offered them a ride home about 30 miles away. I did not know them personally but I did recognize their name as they lived in a small town near my in-laws. They have since passed on but every time I visited my mother-in-law she would mention that these ladies would always tell her how thankful they were that I came along when I did. It still warms my heart to this day. You just never know what impact a simple act of kindness will have on someone’s life.