Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #81

Wife n I have lists with check boxes on our smart phones that we can check/uncheck and share with each other. We both can edit as we add items/ load items. No more "I thought you loaded that" conversations, well fewer anyway. We have lists for "needs", pre-flight checklist, and "what's in the tool bag".
NGaCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #82

Oh it’s been fun since we first started pulling our 38’ Jayco Eagle 5th wheel last year!!! I’m grateful to those who have answered our newbie questions here!

Here’s a few things we’ve learned:
1) Obtain and use a surge protector when hooking up your RV to the campsite’s electrical systems. Outages and brownouts could fry your electrical system. Our surge protector paid for itself this weekend when the campground lost some power!

2) Use a water pressure regulator when hooking up to the campsite’s water; and don’t forget to clean the screen.

3) If your campsite is elevated on one end (not level) you may need to put your truck in reverse (after the wheels are chocked and the landing gear is down) to relieve the pressure on the 5th wheel hitch kingpin or you may not be able to open the jaws to unhitch your RV. (Pressure on the kingpin won’t let you open the jaw).

4) if you have a short bed truck and a sliding 5th wheel hitch don’t forget to slide the hitch into maneuvering mode for tight corners!!! (My husband blew out the back window in his F350 the very first time trying to back up the camper into our driveway.)

5) Have a 30 amp adapter handy in case the campground only has 30 amps and your RV is 50 amps.
SueAndDenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #83

With the new induction cooktops coming out, don't be surprised that your favorite cookware doesn't work. They need specialized gear and they are heavier too.
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:27 AM   #84

Soon to be new TT owner. As for packing the fridge. Do we just load up our coolers as normal and then pack the fridge when we get to the site. Or pack the fridge with frozen bottles and cold stuff to help keep cool. WE have to keep it at a storage facility, so we can't cool down over night or in the morning prior to departure. Any info is helpful. Thanks
D2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #85
AHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2021 View Post
Soon to be new TT owner. As for packing the fridge. Do we just load up our coolers as normal and then pack the fridge when we get to the site. Or pack the fridge with frozen bottles and cold stuff to help keep cool. WE have to keep it at a storage facility, so we can't cool down over night or in the morning prior to departure. Any info is helpful. Thanks
If possible, I try to pre-cool the fridge before leaving on a trip. I'll plug the RV into shore power a couple days before, then load the fridge with cold food and leave. If you're unable to pre-cool the fridge for a day or so, then start it as soon as you can using propane (it cools faster) and hopefully by the time you pack everything else, you can pack the fridge food last before you leave.

If putting drink in the fridge, I always have them cold before putting them in. If you put a bunch of room temperature water bottles, sodas, adult beverages in with cheese, meat and milk, the temperature of the fridge will raise before it cools the drinks down possibly spoiling some items.

Andrew
AHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:15 AM   #86

Wonderful information… much appreciated!!!
Thelittlesquaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #87

Quote:
WE have to keep it at a storage facility, so we can't cool down over night or in the morning prior to departure. Any info is helpful. Thanks

Without power it will run on gas only, so if your storage facility isn't too far away you could still turn it on the night before.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #88

Say a prayer something doesn’t fail or break
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #89

Quote:

The last time we went out I went out to storage and turn on the propane and the fridge the night before we left, I also had some of those frozen ice pack that I put in, it works, I don't do it all the time only for when we go out on a long trip.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #90

First Time out

Our first time out was different. It was a week after Labor Day Holiday. We set it up with no problem. Had supper and enjoyed a fire. Went to bed. The temperature dropped into the 30S. I did not know that the thermostat had an on/off switch. Wife and Son gave up and went out to her car. I was sitting at the table and noticed a very small lever on the thermostat. Moved the switch to the left and guess what. The heater went on and warmed the trailer up. My Family will never let me forget that.
Mike Dickinson
Mike Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:50 PM   #91

Things To Do Before First Outing with a New Jayco

Read ALL of your owner's manuals and fill out ALL warranty cards...

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:17 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Under Construction..

Ok you guys/gals, here will be a "sticky" to help new owners know what to do after they bring their new Jayco home and before their maiden voyage.... post some ideas and we'll go from there. Thanks for your help!
(The suggestions below still need to be edited)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camp driveway. Best place to spend the first night, anything forgotten is steps away.

Run the furnace an hour or so to burn off the new smell. Open the door and windows then light and burn the oven for 15 - 30 minutes to eliminate the new oven smoke that might set off your smoke alarm.

Give every other system and appliance a good tryout to make sure they function properly.This includes the fresh water system. Fill it with water, pressurize the system with the water pump and check for leaks.

Examine the underside of the trailer to look for loose, missing, or broken bolts and screws. I found one broken and three loose screws. Easier to fix while at home than on the road.

Spray silicone lubricant on the tv antenna gear on the roof. It helps when you crank it up and down.

Keep paper and a pen for the running list of "I forgot" items.

Think through everything you need in a "room by room" manner.

Bring 2 spatulas for the grill - as it seems I always loose one - not really sure how though....

Before you take off, do your walk around to make sure everything is stowed away, antenna down, steps up, everything is disconnected (water hose/electric cord). Inside, make sure everything is off the counter tops and tables.

Understand how the waste systems work on the unit so your first dumping attempt will be a snap.

Read your owners and appliance manuals and learn how things work so you can do as much maintenance and troubleshooting yourself as possible. This could save you some big bucks and possibly get you out of a jam someday.

If equipped with slide(s), find the manual slide retractor and learn how to operate it in the event of a power or slide motor failure.

Give every appliance and system a good tryout to make sure they are all functioning properly. This includes the fresh water system.

Inspect the entire unit for any cosmetic or mechanical issues/imperfections that may be missed in the PDI.

Read your owners and appliance manuals and learn how things work and how to do as much yourself as possible.

If equipped with slide(s) find the manual slide retractor and learn how to operate it so you can retract the slide in the event of power or slide motor failure.

Make sure WD system and brake controller are adjusted properly for your trailer and vehicle. If unsure ask dealer or another experienced camper.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of your tow vehicle.

Check tire pressure and lug nuts (spare tire too) before first run, and after every 50 miles for the first 200 miles or so.

Check the valve stem cores on the wheels to verify they are tight enough.

If new to towing, practice backing up in an empty parking lot to gain skills and confidence for backing into campsites, etc.

I few other suggestions is a small tool box of basic tools, duct tape, bungee cords, and making sure all lights are working on TT before leaving.

Have the essentials for first campout, fresh water hose, sewer hose and fittings,levels on trailer, wheel chocks, leveling blocks or boards to level your trailer in unlevel sites, side to side. Your tongue jack levels you front to back. Consider an electric tongue jack to make life easier, not a must but very nice to have.

Stock your kitchen, bathroom vanity and cabinets to your taste but IMO always be weight conscious in your decisions as to what items you put in the trailer. Weights can really add up.

Physically check the height of the rig - nothing scarier than seeing 13'2" and you are actually 13'6". And remember to include the air conditioner in your measurement!

If new to towing, practice backing up in an empty lot to gain skills and confidence for backing into campsites, etc..

Be sure your weight distribution system and brake controller are properly adjusted.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of tour tow vehicle. Be prepared for poor gas mileage in most towing situations.

Know the overall height of your unit and the clearances on any route you may be taking with the taller units.

Keep your computer logged on to the Jayco OwnersForum and ask us any other questions you may have!

New propane tanks need to be PURGED and then filled if it came from dealer EMPTY.

Make sure that your low point drain faucets are closed. Also make sure the settings in the water/tank drain box are set correctly other wise you will have a flood under the unit.

...And be sure to have some $$$ available for what I call "startup costs"- especially if this is your first RV. It's like furnishing another house as you'll be buying dishes, pots, pans, silverware, bedding items, patio rug, food, cleaning items/supplies, electrical cord extensions, outside lights, safety equipment and much, much more than what I've listed. Don't be surprised if you rack up costs well over $500.00. Back when I bought my TT, televisions weren't included, so I had to buy one of those too, along with a DVD/VCR player.

We gave up eating out and started cooking at home more. Saved us about $500 a month when you compare eating out vs. buying grocery's for our family of 4

If you tt requires a 7 pin electrical connector be sure all the wires are connected in the tv fuse box. Some tv mfg's don't connect the constant 12v conductor until it's going to be used. That is the one that charges your battery while in transit. ps be sure the battery is fully charged before leaving
Hi all,

New to the forum and new to RV life. Was dewinterizing the unit I recently purchase today and all was going well until I got to firing up the refrigerator and freezer. Freezer is in the process and the temperature is coming down nicely but the refrigerator isn’t moving at all.

Any ideas?

Added a few pictures. As you can see, a few of the wires look burnt out but I’m not 💯 sure if that’s causing the issue or no
Lee Jeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:21 PM   #93
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jeyes View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum and new to RV life. Was dewinterizing the unit I recently purchase today and all was going well until I got to firing up the refrigerator and freezer. Freezer is in the process and the temperature is coming down nicely but the refrigerator isn’t moving at all.

Any ideas?

Added a few pictures. As you can see, a few of the wires look burnt out but I’m not 💯 sure if that’s causing the issue or no

Probably is not an issue. The freezer will cool pretty quickly but the fridge not so much. Generally outside temps and humidity affect the fridge and it can take hours or days before that portion cools.

Please do a search using the search feature at the top of the page and you will locate numerous threads on these RV fridges and their little issues.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:22 PM   #94

Thank you!
Lee Jeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #95

List Nerd Nirvana

Thanks for the lists, updates, and suggestions. I'm a master list maker so I'm at home on this thread.....preparing for our first outing.

One suggestion I can add from my sail cruising days: One way to pre-cool the fridge (and freezer) is to pre-freeze a bunch of those 1 gallon water jugs...just watch them when freezing that they don't over expand.

Stick them in the fridge/freezer/even coolers the day before and they will cool things down nicely. We will even leave one in the fridge and let it thaw to give us extra water if needed.
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote