Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #41

Always LOCK the exterior storage bin doors when traveling. Just latching them closed does not do the trick, as they can rattle enough to open themselves.
olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #42

Don't forget the beer!
tdayhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Always LOCK the exterior storage bin doors when traveling. Just latching them closed does not do the trick, as they can rattle enough to open themselves.
This was one of my first lessons.
While on the return trip from picking up my new trailer the storage door worked its way open.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdayhuff View Post
Don't forget the beer!
+1
Old 02-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdayhuff View Post
Don't forget the beer!

Probably the most important item yet!
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
Probably the most important item yet!
True. But how could one possibly even forget the beer in the first place? Most would forget their travel trailer before they forgot the beer.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #47

Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Under Construction..

Ok you guys/gals, here will be a "sticky" to help new owners know what to do after they bring their new Jayco home and before their maiden voyage.... post some ideas and we'll go from there. Thanks for your help!
(The suggestions below still need to be edited)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camp driveway. Best place to spend the first night, anything forgotten is steps away.

Run the furnace an hour or so to burn off the new smell. Open the door and windows then light and burn the oven for 15 - 30 minutes to eliminate the new oven smoke that might set off your smoke alarm.

Give every other system and appliance a good tryout to make sure they function properly.This includes the fresh water system. Fill it with water, pressurize the system with the water pump and check for leaks.

Examine the underside of the trailer to look for loose, missing, or broken bolts and screws. I found one broken and three loose screws. Easier to fix while at home than on the road.

Spray silicone lubricant on the tv antenna gear on the roof. It helps when you crank it up and down.

Keep paper and a pen for the running list of "I forgot" items.

Think through everything you need in a "room by room" manner.

Bring 2 spatulas for the grill - as it seems I always loose one - not really sure how though....

Before you take off, do your walk around to make sure everything is stowed away, antenna down, steps up, everything is disconnected (water hose/electric cord). Inside, make sure everything is off the counter tops and tables.

Understand how the waste systems work on the unit so your first dumping attempt will be a snap.

Read your owners and appliance manuals and learn how things work so you can do as much maintenance and troubleshooting yourself as possible. This could save you some big bucks and possibly get you out of a jam someday.

If equipped with slide(s), find the manual slide retractor and learn how to operate it in the event of a power or slide motor failure.

Give every appliance and system a good tryout to make sure they are all functioning properly. This includes the fresh water system.

Inspect the entire unit for any cosmetic or mechanical issues/imperfections that may be missed in the PDI.

Read your owners and appliance manuals and learn how things work and how to do as much yourself as possible.

If equipped with slide(s) find the manual slide retractor and learn how to operate it so you can retract the slide in the event of power or slide motor failure.

Make sure WD system and brake controller are adjusted properly for your trailer and vehicle. If unsure ask dealer or another experienced camper.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of your tow vehicle.

Check tire pressure and lug nuts (spare tire too) before first run, and after every 50 miles for the first 200 miles or so.

Check the valve stem cores on the wheels to verify they are tight enough.

If new to towing, practice backing up in an empty parking lot to gain skills and confidence for backing into campsites, etc.

I few other suggestions is a small tool box of basic tools, duct tape, bungee cords, and making sure all lights are working on TT before leaving.

Have the essentials for first campout, fresh water hose, sewer hose and fittings,levels on trailer, wheel chocks, leveling blocks or boards to level your trailer in unlevel sites, side to side. Your tongue jack levels you front to back. Consider an electric tongue jack to make life easier, not a must but very nice to have.

Stock your kitchen, bathroom vanity and cabinets to your taste but IMO always be weight conscious in your decisions as to what items you put in the trailer. Weights can really add up.

Physically check the height of the rig - nothing scarier than seeing 13'2" and you are actually 13'6". And remember to include the air conditioner in your measurement!

If new to towing, practice backing up in an empty lot to gain skills and confidence for backing into campsites, etc..

Be sure your weight distribution system and brake controller are properly adjusted.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of tour tow vehicle. Be prepared for poor gas mileage in most towing situations.

Know the overall height of your unit and the clearances on any route you may be taking with the taller units.

Keep your computer logged on to the Jayco OwnersForum and ask us any other questions you may have!

New propane tanks need to be PURGED and then filled if it came from dealer EMPTY.

Make sure that your low point drain faucets are closed. Also make sure the settings in the water/tank drain box are set correctly other wise you will have a flood under the unit.

...And be sure to have some $$$ available for what I call "startup costs"- especially if this is your first RV. It's like furnishing another house as you'll be buying dishes, pots, pans, silverware, bedding items, patio rug, food, cleaning items/supplies, electrical cord extensions, outside lights, safety equipment and much, much more than what I've listed. Don't be surprised if you rack up costs well over $500.00. Back when I bought my TT, televisions weren't included, so I had to buy one of those too, along with a DVD/VCR player.

We gave up eating out and started cooking at home more. Saved us about $500 a month when you compare eating out vs. buying grocery's for our family of 4

If you tt requires a 7 pin electrical connector be sure all the wires are connected in the tv fuse box. Some tv mfg's don't connect the constant 12v conductor until it's going to be used. That is the one that charges your battery while in transit. ps be sure the battery is fully charged before leaving

I include the top of my radio antenna when I do my height measurement. That sticks up higher than the air conditioner cover.
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #48

I measure to the top of my radio antenna, not the air conditioner cover. Radio antenna sticks up higher. If you clear that, you will clear everything else.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I measure to the top of my radio antenna, not the air conditioner cover. Radio antenna sticks up higher. If you clear that, you will clear everything else.
I put our Greyhawk max. height inside the windshield using mailbox numbers. Now, no matter who is driving, the required minimum clearance is available with a glance.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #50
Site Team

When we get it ready for winterizing, everything ( that normally stays in the TT) that can freeze, or become mouse food, gets put in totes and stacked on a designated shelf unit. Just to keep stuff in one place. If we start scattering stuff around, I'll forget some of it in the spring. After the cover comes off it, we take the totes out, and refill the camper. We also carry extra water hose, and 30 amp cords. If we don't use them, sometimes they get other campers out of trouble. That's happened more than once.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
I put our Greyhawk max. height inside the windshield using mailbox numbers. Now, no matter who is driving, the required minimum clearance is available with a glance.
Smart
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #52

I packed extra hose gaskets, pressure regulator, an extra 25' fresh water hose. I also have water filters and a "Y" adapter.
For sewer stuff, GLOVES, a 15 foot garden hose for flushing out, and a sewer hose flush adapter, and tank chemicals.
For electrical, I carry 30 to 15 amp, 50 to 30 adapters, and a circuit analyzer, and an extension cord.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #53

This may have been posted already but get some Raid flying insect killer. We found out the hard way many years ago camping when our girls were little. The door and screen were left open on the trailer one evening in the summer when we were hanging out with friends by the fire. When we were done for the night we came into the trailer and discovered hundreds of little bugs flying around the ceiling lights. Fortunately a friend had some Raid we used. It took quite a while to kill and clean them all out before we could peacefully go to sleep

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #54

Talking 1st Trip

Just bought a 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264 BHW my first trip is 20 minutes from my house .
Thanks for the idea to burn off all new things for smells.
So far I think alot of improvements are needed to mount stuff.
I.E towel bar in bath and shower curtain liner.
Bedroom wall seems like it wont hold tv either but clearley set up for.
anyone have this model and how did you place tv's?
Attached Thumbnails
123_0354.jpg  
Hoota5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #55

We have a plastic box that we keep in our house filled with things that I don't want to get too hot while trailer is in storage. We keep allergy tablets, toothpaste, contact lens solution, deodorant, first aid cream, sun screen, etc. We have trained ourselves to always grab that box before each trip.
Liberty Hill, TX 78642
cwilson1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #56

very helpful!
ChrisMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoota5150 View Post
Just bought a 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264 BHW my first trip is 20 minutes from my house .
Thanks for the idea to burn off all new things for smells.
So far I think alot of improvements are needed to mount stuff.
I.E towel bar in bath and shower curtain liner.
Bedroom wall seems like it wont hold tv either but clearley set up for.
anyone have this model and how did you place tv's?
Hi there! I'm a complete newbie to this world, so while I can answer this directly, I did see a different thread that might be helpful (see link below). They don't mention the same model you have, but good info nonetheless. Good luck!
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...hsw-26802.html
shanita257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesper View Post
I bought a cordless impact driver for my old trailer ,that I used to raise and lower my manual stabilizers.(My new TT also has manual cranks so guess what?) ,I can lower and raise them quicker than my friend with his electric. also saves muscles. I love it
Gesper, what impact driver did you purchase. Asking for my neighbor who has a TT, bought a driver and it failed on the first trip.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #59

I use Wunderlist app (free download from App Store) for our lists. It syncs with my PC, all our tablets and our phones. I make multiple lists. You can cross off items as complete and uncross them for the next trip.

I typed up a "preflight" check list with checkboxes and put it in a plastic document frame (with a plastic not glass insert) I use a dry erase marker to check off all items as completed. (Lock storage, retract awning, retract slide out, retract jacks, stow away counter items, ck tire pressures, lugs, fluids, etc.)
Mcspaho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #60

Took our RV out for the first time after some extended driveway camping. No serious issues,just small stuff i.e. "You know what we need?" Etc... Like I said no big concerns, just some much needed relaxation and fun. Going to take it up to a park about 40 miles from home in about a week. Working our way up to the big trip/tow to az and Cali in the winter.
Bill&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote