Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #61

What a great list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Under Construction..

Ok you guys/gals, here will be a "sticky" to help new owners know what to do after they bring their new Jayco home and before their maiden voyage.... post some ideas and we'll go from there. Thanks for your help!
(The suggestions below still need to be edited)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camp driveway. Best place to spend the first night, anything forgotten is steps away.

Run the furnace an hour or so to burn off the new smell. Open the door and windows then light and burn the oven for 15 - 30 minutes to eliminate the new oven smoke that might set off your smoke alarm.

Give every other system and appliance a good tryout to make sure they function properly.This includes the fresh water system. Fill it with water, pressurize the system with the water pump and check for leaks.

Examine the underside of the trailer to look for loose, missing, or broken bolts and screws. I found one broken and three loose screws. Easier to fix while at home than on the road.

Spray silicone lubricant on the tv antenna gear on the roof. It helps when you crank it up and down.

Keep paper and a pen for the running list of "I forgot" items.

Think through everything you need in a "room by room" manner.

Bring 2 spatulas for the grill - as it seems I always loose one - not really sure how though....

Before you take off, do your walk around to make sure everything is stowed away, antenna down, steps up, everything is disconnected (water hose/electric cord). Inside, make sure everything is off the counter tops and tables.

Understand how the waste systems work on the unit so your first dumping attempt will be a snap.

Read your owners and appliance manuals and learn how things work so you can do as much maintenance and troubleshooting yourself as possible. This could save you some big bucks and possibly get you out of a jam someday.

If equipped with slide(s), find the manual slide retractor and learn how to operate it in the event of a power or slide motor failure.

Give every appliance and system a good tryout to make sure they are all functioning properly. This includes the fresh water system.

Inspect the entire unit for any cosmetic or mechanical issues/imperfections that may be missed in the PDI.

Read your owners and appliance manuals and learn how things work and how to do as much yourself as possible.

If equipped with slide(s) find the manual slide retractor and learn how to operate it so you can retract the slide in the event of power or slide motor failure.

Make sure WD system and brake controller are adjusted properly for your trailer and vehicle. If unsure ask dealer or another experienced camper.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of your tow vehicle.

Check tire pressure and lug nuts (spare tire too) before first run, and after every 50 miles for the first 200 miles or so.

Check the valve stem cores on the wheels to verify they are tight enough.

If new to towing, practice backing up in an empty parking lot to gain skills and confidence for backing into campsites, etc.

I few other suggestions is a small tool box of basic tools, duct tape, bungee cords, and making sure all lights are working on TT before leaving.

Have the essentials for first campout, fresh water hose, sewer hose and fittings,levels on trailer, wheel chocks, leveling blocks or boards to level your trailer in unlevel sites, side to side. Your tongue jack levels you front to back. Consider an electric tongue jack to make life easier, not a must but very nice to have.

Stock your kitchen, bathroom vanity and cabinets to your taste but IMO always be weight conscious in your decisions as to what items you put in the trailer. Weights can really add up.

Physically check the height of the rig - nothing scarier than seeing 13'2" and you are actually 13'6". And remember to include the air conditioner in your measurement!

If new to towing, practice backing up in an empty lot to gain skills and confidence for backing into campsites, etc..

Be sure your weight distribution system and brake controller are properly adjusted.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of tour tow vehicle. Be prepared for poor gas mileage in most towing situations.

Know the overall height of your unit and the clearances on any route you may be taking with the taller units.

Keep your computer logged on to the Jayco OwnersForum and ask us any other questions you may have!

New propane tanks need to be PURGED and then filled if it came from dealer EMPTY.

Make sure that your low point drain faucets are closed. Also make sure the settings in the water/tank drain box are set correctly other wise you will have a flood under the unit.

...And be sure to have some $$$ available for what I call "startup costs"- especially if this is your first RV. It's like furnishing another house as you'll be buying dishes, pots, pans, silverware, bedding items, patio rug, food, cleaning items/supplies, electrical cord extensions, outside lights, safety equipment and much, much more than what I've listed. Don't be surprised if you rack up costs well over $500.00. Back when I bought my TT, televisions weren't included, so I had to buy one of those too, along with a DVD/VCR player.

We gave up eating out and started cooking at home more. Saved us about $500 a month when you compare eating out vs. buying grocery's for our family of 4

If you tt requires a 7 pin electrical connector be sure all the wires are connected in the tv fuse box. Some tv mfg's don't connect the constant 12v conductor until it's going to be used. That is the one that charges your battery while in transit. ps be sure the battery is fully charged before leaving
Such a great and well thought out list. Thank you
easyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #62

All good advise! Just remember to unload items at times. You can and will accumulate a lot of "Stuff". So every now and than clean out.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #63

Harbor Freight has black latex gloves for cheap $$ I keep a box handy for those "special" jobs
RILAW14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #64

Thanks again. Glad I joined just for these thorough tips and tricks I've seen
Jonright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post
A giant roll is automatically added to all my tool boxes. Wish I owned Duck Tape stock!!

Let's see a roll is in my: workshop, truck tool box, car tool box, camper tool box, boat tool box, motorcycle tool box, in the garage, and my wife's garden box. Think that just about covers it. Ha.
You ever try Gorilla Tape you'll never use duct tape again..
ShortCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #66

Reply to wire who don't need no drinking list!!!

Yea.....my kind of girl.....I have the same list she does....meds, sun hat....and is the tv hooked up....where we going? Hehe
Sandy DePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #67

Great list, I have a 4 check list which I will update with your helpful advice
ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #68

Good list/advice! First post I have read since joining. Planning to pick-up a new 2018 Jayco Flight BHBE this Friday. Hope a good decision...
Texashato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #69

We always leave our pots, pans and dishes is the trailer year around. It is just cuts loading time. If you cannot afford to buy new pots, pans and dishes for your camper, go to yard sales. We had that kind of stuff in our TT for years. When we replaced the "old stuff" in the house kitchen, the "old things" went into the TT. It took us several years and 3 camp trailers to get top of the line stuff in the TT, but the costs are bearable that way. I still buy coffee cups and glases for the TT at yard sales. If they get broken in the woods there are no tears. We also use a lot of paper plates and plastic ware when out camping. Less to clean up and use less water when dry camping. There are some great things on this thread.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #70

Hi first time using my Jayco eagle going to be raining do I need to be concerned with water leaking into the coach with my slide outs extended? Especially with wind driven rain...... presume it is designed to take the weather but had a rear window leak that I fixed with some caulk don’t know what to expect with the slide outs open in the rain thanks
Jaycorookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #71

Check every water connection you can get to. Found my clean out hose ran over my furnace and was leaking.

Also if you have the EQ pull the tires and confirm the hubs are adjusted correctly.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #72

Grease studs?

I’m sorry, but I must question the wisdom or greasing studs. I was told that you should not lubricate something you want to stay tight as the friction will help keep them tight. If you lube them there is a greater chance they will work loose.
chabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post
I couldn't find out how to attach my pre-trip check list, so I listed our basic items below. Sorry, I'm new to this forum.
Camper Check List

Load into Camper Prior to Trip

Cash (money)
Jayco manuals and folder
Eye glasses and contacts
Metal detectors and extra batteries
Clothes (pants, shirts, underwear, socks, coats, jackets, hats, etc.)
Iphones and Ipad (chargers for all)
Cannon camera and charger
Fishing equipment (if near a lake) and fishing license
Sun tan lotion
Rain coats
Ear plugs
Maps, GPS (power cords, miniature speaker and power cord) for long trips
Matches/lighter
Rubber gloves (heavy and light)
Measuring tape
Personal knife
BBQ pit, charcoal, electric pit lighter, cooking utensils - put in truck
Long and short extension cords
Orange safety cones
Folding table - put in truck
Lawn chairs - put in truck
Sewer and both water hoses
Step stool (tall one used on the boat)
Rusty's (our dog) stuff - bed, water/food (dry & can), bowls & stand, toys, two leashes, meds, copy of rabies shots)
Our medications and medical info
Deck of cards, Ole Sol games, harmonica, guitar, etc.
Cups and mugs
Plates and bowls
Utensils
Dinner knives
Mixing bowls and spoons
Pot and pans
Matches and lighter
Cleaning supplies, sponges
Napkins, paper towels and clean rags
Dish soap, bathing soap, hair shampoo and conditioner, etc.
Wash cloths (4), shower towels (4), and hand towels (4)
Tupperware, Ziplocks bags and/or aluminum foil
Can opener
Mosquito and chigger repellant
Tool box, bucket, rope
First aid kit
Flashlight (check batteries)
Toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex
Fan for noise at some campgrounds
Mugs - cold and hot
Pillows, sheets, blanket
Leaf blower and extension cord (clean off top of slide out)
Basic Food Items
Cooking oil
Salt, pepper, spices
Bread
Milk
Sausage (breakfast and German)
ET's coffee
Orange juice
GT's coffee
Beans
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Miracle whip
Luncheon meat
Soups
Jelly
Honey
Sugar (or substitute)
Beer
Dr. Peppers
Butter
Steak, hamburger meat
Cereal
Ketchup
Mustard
Syrup
Salsa
Jello or apple sauce
Bean dip
Fritos
Oats
Pickles
Peanuts
Bananas
Salad dressing
Cheese
Eggs
Hamburger meat, steak, chicken
Bottle water (medium and gallons)
Bag of ice
Mechanical Check List
Check air in camper tires, torque wheel lugs (after each trip), outside running and backup lights, brake lights
Turn on refrigerator the day before trip to cool and load food day of trip
Check 12 v battery charge
Cover outside openings to keep rats and bugs out.
Check all fluids, tires, etc. on truck
Close all vents (oven) and windows if opened
Put away all lose items inside trailer
Turn off furnace while traveling
Turn off propane while traveling, unless being used by refrigerator
Sanitize clean water system
Latch drawers, cabinets, and doors
Turn off interior lights and appliances
Disconnect cable for TV and lower the TV antenna
Retract slide-out
Refrigerator - set to gas or turn off
Turn off water heater and two switches on panel
Empty black and grey holding tanks
Retract awning and secure for transport
Retract steps
Retract leveling jacks and blocks
Water hose and electric cord unhooked and stored
Lock both doors
Clean off slide out with blower
Walk around trailer and truck to make sure everything is stored away and all outside compartments are closed and LOCKED before traveling.
Test brakes during slow travel, turn on Ford truck Tow Haul and Sway Control
Return Home - unload all food, open refrigerator door (baking soda), remove all trash and clean sink, bathroom etc. Remove sheets and other items that need to be washed. Open all cabinets and drawers.
One thing for sure make sure you have a surge protector. Could be expensive to replace all the electrical items if you have a power surge. Also a water jug to carry water in, wheel chocks to block your wheels. The most important thing is relax and enjoy yourself. You will forget something it happens to all of us. Seems like we always forget something.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #74

If I did all that and loaded all that... I'd be too tired to go on a trip.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
If I did all that and loaded all that... I'd be too tired to go on a trip.
I think if I did that list every year I would have to retire again. Thank goodness most of this stays in the RV year to year.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #76

Our Checklists Combined

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Here are our current check lists.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf .1Jayco Trip Master Check List Feb 2020.pdf (161.8 KB, 48 views)
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #77

Additional items to go with check list

We learned a long time ago when taking the boat to the lake with our truck camper the value of a check list. Trying to remember everything for the camper, the boat, etc., it never failed that we always seemed to forget some "little thing" back at the house. I will say, if you plastic coat the list you can use a dry erase marker to check-off items & reuse the list again. Wait until after a few camp trips before you coat the list so that you have a well rounded list. I also leave a space near the bottom to add /delete items via dry erase if needed for a specific trip.
I live in the SW desert & one thing I have learned /seen is the importance of tire maintenance. Even though with the best preventive maintenance, things happen. After changing a tire using a 4-way lug wrench, trying not to snap the studs in 118 deg heat, 5 mi. from the nearest paved road & saying TOO many not so polite things about how tight Discount Tire put on the lug nuts, was to have my own cordless impact. The one I now carry is a Kobalt 24V 1/2" drive impact w/ lithium extended run 4Amp battery. If charged & unattached to tool, I have seen this battery hold a full charge well beyond 7 mo. I also pack a floor jack that stores in its own case, as using a jack that gets low enough to raise a flat tire, or get high enough to put on a inflated tire can be two different things. I also now use a Tireminder TMPS system that I monitor w/ my phone that monitors tire pressure, temps, send alerts, etc. Goal being to get an alert BEFORE I hear the tire shredding & taking out everything around the wheel well.
So in short here is my tire breakdown kit:
1) 24V cordless impact w/ extended (4amp) lithium battery (charger if keeping in TT on long trips) & deep well sockets that fit lugs on TT AND TV.
2) Floor jack in storage case.
3) Hazard markers (fold-able orange triangles) & electronic flasher disks for night.
4) Tire repair kit. these usually comes with tire slime, plugs, etc. & a 12v compressor. We found the compressor hose disintegrates after a couple years & we replaced with better hose. Also, unless you have long time to sit, these compressors take a long time to fill a tire to a level you can get to a station. (Filling tire while off ground, no weight on it, to speed up process). Now that we have TT w/ gen we carry a 2gal compressor & run it off the generator if needed. But if no gen the other will work, just takes a while to fill.
5) Leather work gloves to keep hands from getting poked, burned, dirty, etc.
6) Tote that stores all of the above (except 2 gal compressor).
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #78

Dog bones:
If 50amp, dog bone 50amp to 30amp
Another 30amp to 110, great for plugging into house power, I use to chill frig day or two before leaving to camp.
Surge Protection, I have both 50amp and 30amp (never know if going to have 30 or 50 power, if have 50amp.
If only have 30amp then don't need 50amp items.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #79

Buy a cheap water flow measuring device to test the true capacity of your fresh water tanks Test the device with a 5 gallon bucket to determine accuracy of the device. See how much water you can get into your fresh water tanks. My 48 gallon capacity tank starts siphoning water out at 30 gallons.

Rainwave RW-9FM LCD Digital Water Flow Meter
AJP207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #80

Our first camper and our first time camping with a trailer. We chose a local regional park as a learning trip and we sure learned a few things. First of all, the hookups aren't always on the correct side and sometimes you have to drive in the wrong way. Along those lines... I need an extension cord. Also forgot about 10 things at home, so we were lucky to be only 20 minutes away. But we had a great time and we're looking forward to more adventures.
wagonicfolding is offline   Reply With Quote