Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #1

Things to do for the home before leaving for a month

We will be doing a mini-snowbird trip to Florida state parks later this winter. We plan to be gone about four weeks.

The X-23B is ready to go, but we are wondering about things at home. Here is what we have come up with so far:

Trusted neighbor who keeps an eye on things
Home security system that we can manage remotely
Lights on timers to simulate our being home
Car in the driveway
Thermostats set back to about 55 degrees
Mail held until our return
Water shut off at valve in crawl space
Nephew and his wife who live two doors down if needed

We live in Tennessee where temperatures can drop into the teens, and rarely into single digits. What other tips do you have for us? Thanks!
cwilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #2

Turn home water heater to vacation setting if it has one
Old 12-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #3

I would try to drain my lines if I'm going to be gone for a month.

Maybe have nephew drive the car once a week, just to give more appearance of an occupant being there.

I've bought into the Wyze brand stuff. I've got some Wyze cameras, a Wyze thermostat and a couple of Wyze outlet plugs. With the Wyze thermostat I can keep track of the temperature in the house AND I can turn the heat on the morning that we are returning home. With the Wyze plugs, I can plug in a couple floor lamps and they will randomly turn on and off throughout the day, rather than on a timer. With the cameras, I can see whats happening in/around the house.

Like Woodworker said, turn off water heater. Any gas appliances, shut off the pilot and gas feed.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
RPR

Woodworker did not say turn hot water heater off. He said vacation mode which has it set to a lower temperature. If no vacation mode set it to 50 degrees. Lowering temp is less stressful on the hot water heater than shut down.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #5

Have a neighbor put out your final garbage.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #6

Turn the HWH off. No reason to have it keeping a tank full of water warm on a constant basis. I turn mine off often with no problems. Thermo to 60. Clean out the refrigerator. I don't turn off the water, there's no need to. Treat your home the same way you would leaving it for a week.

Always keep the refrigerator at normal temp, regardless of how long you're away. A closed refrigerator retains the cold for a good long time. It's on all the time anyway, right? To be honest, there's really no need to adjust or turn off the HWH. It runs 24/7/365 on a normal basis. I still turn it off because it doesn't run at all. But it doesn't take anymore energy to maintain 140 degrees or 50 degrees. They are well insulated and retain heat very well.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

We use light timers year round. When we are gone, the house looks the same. Having a radio on a timer too (talk radio), makes it sound like someone is around.

Have the neighbor, and your nephew park in the driveway periodically. Will make the place look like someone is around.

What about trash and recycling? We cannot cancel our service unless its for a couple months. If your the same, or the entire neighborhood gets picked up on the same day. Have them put some trash in your can and put it out for pickup (good time to clean the garages).

Check with your local police department. Ours has a vacation list. You advise them when your gone, who might be around, and would to contact if there is any issues. The police reserve unit, stops by periodically and checks the perimeter.

Have a great trip!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #8

Don’t broadcast it on Facebook or RV forums!
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #9

Thanks for the ideas. All are appreciated!

We have natural gas water heaters, so rather than turn them off I will just dial them back.
I plan to turn the water off not so much for freezing concerns, but to prevent the dreaded leak that could ruin floors, ceilings, and more.
We live in a rural area with "convenience centers" for household trash, and I take my own.
I will look into replacing our old style electro-mechanical timers with something more modern. A power outage of a few hours would throw everything out of whack!
I'll ask the neighbor to move the car occasionally.
Oops! Too late to avoid posting on RV forums. I'll have to trust you folks! We will avoid "revealing" posts while on our trip, though.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

Do your house plants need watering while you’re gone
Old 12-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Do your house plants need watering while you’re gone
Good thought! My wife says the neighbor can be enlisted to help with that task.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #12

You’ve likely thought of this, but if you subscribe to a newspaper, put it on hold. Then, still have a neighbor check your driveway — newspapers are notorious for screwing up and delivering it anyway, especially if a sub is doing the route. If you don’t subscribe you may get a free “shopper” tossed in your yard. Get on the do-not-deliver list immediately, and still have that neighbor check when you’re gone.

Regarding shutting off the water, I’ve had a couple of plumbers tell me they don’t recommend it. They said the valves are constantly under pressure and stopping that can allow leaks or blowouts later. On the flip side, at least you’d be back home then. Our area rarely gets below freezing, so that probably plays into it, too.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:35 PM   #13
Site Team

If you get snow when you're gone, someone to shovel off the sidewalk and make tire tracks in the driveway might be nice.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:38 PM   #14

If your thermostat is battery operated put fresh batteries in it before you leave.
johnsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #15

Pour tablespoon of cooking oil in each Ptrap to reduce evaporation... although 4 weeks may not be a concern. Freeze water in a paper cup, then set a penny on top, and put in your freezer, if the freezer should thaw out and refreeze, you will know it.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:04 AM   #16
Site Team

We always put a hold on our mail when on a trip. USPS will hold it for up to 90 days and deliver when you return.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post

I've bought into the Wyze brand stuff. I've got some Wyze cameras, a Wyze thermostat and a couple of Wyze outlet plugs. With the Wyze thermostat I can keep track of the temperature in the house AND I can turn the heat on the morning that we are returning home. With the Wyze plugs, I can plug in a couple floor lamps and they will randomly turn on and off throughout the day, rather than on a timer. With the cameras, I can see whats happening in/around the house.

Second on the Wyze stuff. It is very affordable to get into, and if you find that you don't like it, you're not out much money. The v3 cameras are only $35/ea, and they don't require any battery maintenance. They have battery powered options for more remote installations.

You can use them WITHOUT a subscription plan, but those are available as well, and they are pretty affordable too...
cadman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310 View Post
Don’t broadcast it on Facebook or RV forums!
X2!!!

I tell my DW, post the trip adventure when we get back.

My sister-in-law posts all her adventures on FaceBook or Instagram during their trip. I told her that's a bad idea to advertise to the world that you are away. She ignored me.

A few years ago they came back to an empty house. Burglars took almost everything.

They recovered. She and my brother were in Aruba last November. Guess what? She still posts her vacation photos and adventures while away.

Some will never learn.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #19

We are snowbirds and spend our winters in Florida. I subscribed to Simplisafe and added two sensors to the regular package. One is a temp sensor that alarms at 50 degrees if your furnace dies. The other is a water sensor by the sump pump hole. And it saved us a fortune. The sump pump quit and water crept out over the top and alarmed. I got a relative to go over, diagnose and replace for me saving thousands in mold and mildew prevention.

As to the water heater. I turned mine off a few years ago, temps dropped into the sub zero, wind blew down the vent pipe and froze and burst the water heater pipes. Yep, partially flooded basement but again lucky as my son dropped by and rescued us. (Also why I got Simplisafe water sensor!).
Pay a neighbor kid to watch the yard, picks up trash, limbs, etc. in yard to make it look lived in. Offer parking in drive to make it more looked in to any neighbors who might like to use it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:20 PM   #20

I was an insurance adjuster for 31.5 years and the most expensive claims I handled (other than large fires) were water claims. The large water claims were where a water pipe or washing machine hose burst while the people were not at home. I always turn my water off (really, turn off my well pump) and turn the water heaters off if I am going to be gone more than a couple of days (because you won't want the water heater on with the water turned off). Some of the largest claims I had were where the washer was in an upstairs hall or closet and the hose burst (instructions say to always them the faucets off but very few do). I've had claims reported when the neighbors saw water running out the exterior door.
Sorento
CRV
osbornk is offline   Reply With Quote