Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Thinking of a Black Tank Cleaning Method While Storing

Just had a thought about getting a thorough black tank clean-out with minimal extra work. I used the Ridex RV tank treatment last year, with all the enzymes and bacteria that are good to break down waste and TP. One thing I noticed is after storing the unit after our last trip we had a partially filled black tank from the final leg of the trip home. When I pulled the unit back home to winterize it I dumped the tank ( I have a clean-out at home where I can dump the tanks) and everything in the tank was completely broken down (no TP and no solids).

Got me to thinking. What if I were to add some Ridex when storing with a full black tank so everything in the tank was "touching" the water. Would this break down any remaining solids and any TP that was stuck to the sides or top. Then dump the tanks when I bring the unit home. I might try this it this spring just to see if with a clean tank, filled and stored, then dumped again when I bring it home if any extra "stuff" comes out when I dump.

Just a thought. Anyone else try this with any success?

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

I have not done that. However, I always make sure I have water and chemicals in the tank after I empty it. I feel that when I go down the road the water is sloshing around in the tank takes care of that problem.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #3

Leaving the tank full during the winter could result in freezing. That would destroy the tank.

t2daniel, since we have no idea where live this may or may not apply to you.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #4

I have read on JOF of members dumping left over Ice in the tank before the long drive home, breaking up materials and melting along the way

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I have not done that. However, I always make sure I have water and chemicals in the tank after I empty it. I feel that when I go down the road the water is sloshing around in the tank takes care of that problem.
I do the same, but it always seems hard to get everything out of the tank even with the black tank flush. I was wondering about long term preventative maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Leaving the tank full during the winter could result in freezing. That would destroy the tank.

t2daniel, since we have no idea where live this may or may not apply to you.
I live in Michigan so I would only try this when storing between trips. Definitely not during the winter.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Team

I just purchased one of those long 90 degree tank swivel sticks that you connect to the hose and spray it around in the black tank through the toilet. We do have the black tank cleaning setup, where you attach the hose to the inlet and the sprayer spins inside the tank, but after I took my a look in the tank with my Digital Inspection camera (long neck with LED lighting) I figured that I could do a better job. After using the tank swivel stick, I took another look and it was much cleaner than with the one that is mounted in the tank.

So I guess it was a good investment. Actually, with the internal black tank sprayer it did a pretty good job, maybe I was just being a little picky?

This is close to the one I purchased:
RV Swivel Stik Holding Tank Rinsers

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I just purchased one of those long 90 degree tank swivel sticks that you connect to the hose and spray it around in the black tank through the toilet. We do have the black tank cleaning setup, where you attach the hose to the inlet and the sprayer spins inside the tank, but after I took my a look in the tank with my Digital Inspection camera (long neck with LED lighting) I figured that I could do a better job. After using the tank swivel stick, I took another look and it was much cleaner than with the one that is mounted in the tank.

So I guess it was a good investment. Actually, with the internal black tank sprayer it did a pretty good job, maybe I was just being a little picky?

This is close to the one I purchased:
RV Swivel Stik Holding Tank Rinsers

Just my thoughts,

Don
I have one of the swivel stik's too...we use it every time we dump. I dump the black, then the gray and then go back to the black with the swivel stik attached to the hose. Having the clear elbow attachment...it amazes me to see what still comes out!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

Before I leave home I put 1 cup of Calgon Water Softener and 1 cup of Dawn Dishwasher Detergent and 1 gal. Or more of water in my black tank and leave it in till my 1st clean out. Do the same after my last clean out before my trip home. When I get home I dump ( leave valve open ) then empty a 5 gal. Bucket of water through the tank fast and I'm done.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote