Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #1

Thinking of upgradeing

So after two 6000. mile summer trips in my 2011 Jayco jayflight 22" TT., which were fine no issues. Whats the different between a Super C and same length Class A Of course I would need to tow something .Gas or diesel. currently have 2015 Ford 250 diesel (tow able)

Thanks for any thoughts.
RGVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #2

There have been several posts on this in the past couple of months. You should be able to search "super c" and come up with several. Somewhere on here is a link to a Google site specific search engine which works very well. I believe it is something Norty posted. You can check on the class c site and there is an active post currently posted.

The question you ask is fairly broad as super c can be gas or diesel which can make a huge difference in towing. Same is true with class a units.

If you filter out the power plant/ chassis then you really boil down to drivablity, perceived safety and cabin size.

Size
A 37ts seneca will have approx floor length of 29 ft a similar size class a will have 37 or so. Both units would be about 39 ft overall.

Drivablity. While driving a good quality class A is not hard it is significantly different then what most people are used to. There is a learning curve. Driving a super c is like driving a full size pickup truck. You already are aware of the need for wide turns and the driver position is the same a pickup behind the front wheels. Very little time getting comfortable driving it.

Safety. While I have never actually seen data on the safety differences between the two I feel better having a steel structure to drive in complete with 6 ft of engine compartment in front with crumple zones. Seat belts attached to the frame not to plywood.

Best of luck in your search and i am sure whichever you choose you will have a great experience.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #3

Thank you for somewhere to start . I see I have my work cut out.I did see something about the class c is on a Class 7 frame ? and the next size is 8 ? Just confused, can you help Thanks againRGVal
Old 03-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

Ford F250 diesel is pretty heavy, right ?

The limit on the gas powered Ford chassis vehicles is 5,000 lbs, or less, depending on how much cargo, etc. you load in your RV.

I'm thinking the diesels, haven't really looked in to it much, are rated to tow about twice as much.

Good luck.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVal View Post
Thank you for somewhere to start . I see I have my work cut out.I did see something about the class c is on a Class 7 frame ? and the next size is 8 ? Just confused, can you help Thanks againRGVal
I believe the jayco products are class 7. 26001 to 33000 lb rated. Class 8 are built on cascadia chassis, or Volvo etc and can weigh over 33001 lb.

Hallmark and renegade xl are examples of heavy duty rigs with possiblity of 35000lbs and more in towing capacity .

Start by what you want to spend.
Kodiac chassis. Seneca up 2009. 40-80k
Used 2012-2018. 90-150k
New seneca or accolades 170-190k
New hallmarks 350-750k
There are more and more players in the super c class every year.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #6

RVermont has pretty well described some of the differences and since he has a Seneca he is well versed in a Super C.
I had a 32’ gas Class C before I bought my Precept. Just like everyone else there are a lot of factors that go into the purchase of a MH - budget, gas vs diesel, floor plan, sleeping capacity, storage, etc. The features I got in my coach include the big window, w/d, tons of counter space, lots of storage, swivel cockpit seats which become part of your living area, 2 year Jayco warranty, and the fact I feel I got a lot of bang for my buck.
Only you can decide what you want and what you think will work best for you. The rest of us are just offering up our opinions. Think ahead and do your research so that after you’ve made your decision with all the info you had at the time, you can look back and not have any regrets. Good luck to you.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #7

Thanks to all who replied . I will take your advise to heart.
RGVal