Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Apparently these guys ORV | Outdoors RV Manufacturing make the highest quality TT's on the market but you're gonna pay.
If I were in the market for a TT or fiver today, I would look long and hard at Outdoors RV, Northwoods Mfg., Bigfoot (TT only), and maybe Lance(?) (TT only). Most of these price out in Eagle territory, but Eagles get deeper discounting off of the MSRP.

But I am not in the market. I will be again down the road. We'll see where we are with things. I do not rule out another Jayco, especiallly if funds are tight, but if I have the cash to consider some upward movement, I will look beyond Jayco, but I will not rule out Jayco. We will see.

But truly, all RVs are designed and built to fail to one degree or another. Once you get that settled and if you have the "bug," you stay in the game, keep your tools handy, and attend your support group, I mean forum, meetings as often as needed. My name is . . . , and I am hooked on RVs.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #22

It's not uncommon for large companies to cut management when they acquire another company. That's often because the job they are cutting is "redundant" -- meaning they already have someone doing it at the home office.

As for Jayco's quality, as an owner of a brand new 27RL, I'm pretty pleased by the build quality of the product. There a couple of things that will eventually need some attention, sure, but they are pretty minor. So minor it's not worth driving down to the dealer to let them fix things until after camping season is done and dusted.

I doubt I will lose any sleep at all over the article.
CharlesBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #23

This is a disturbing read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
It's armegadon grab your loved ones!!!

LOL!

My 2014 (now sold but still camp with the current owners) and my 2017 Jaycos have been great.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
LOL!

My 2014 (now sold but still camp with the current owners) and my 2017 Jaycos have been great.
Ours to!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:41 AM   #25

It reallly is not news to any of us who bought Jayco's recently. Typical gloom and doom stuff.

I do not know if quality has suffered or not. Our unit had several small items not done correctly. Once I fixed those the unit has been trouble free. I would not hesitate to buy another Jayco.

After being around a bunch of RV owners for a while now it is clear to me that NO mfg has great quality until you get up into the really high end units. And, even with those, the components are still subject to failure every now and then since those components are still made by the same companies (Atwood, Dometic, Lippert, etc).

If you buy a new rig just count on there being some issues. Try to do a good PDI and have as many fixed before you pay for the unit as you can.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #26
Site Team

That is my impression. We are in a club with many various brands. All have some complaints, not major. The minor ones can be a pain also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
My neighbor sent a link to an article/opinion about roof covering. The source is RV.org. After some looking I found this: https://rv.org/blogs/news/will-thor-...confidential-5
I may be depressed for the rest of the evening.
��
Lot of conjecture. Yes, Thor could kill Jayco, or maybe not.

If Thor was really concerned about only maximizing profits, they could save a bundle by reducing the Jayco warranty from 2, to 1 year, like the rest of the industry. So far they haven't done that. That says something.

Also, how well Jayco resolves their warranty claims is a very good indicator in terms of accessing Jayco's commitment to their product. So far, Jayco seems to be taking care of their customers on par with how they've done it in the past. That also says something.

As a community, all of us here on the Jayco Owners Forum will no doubt be the first to see any real change in Jayco's warranty commitment---not a blog somewhere. For now, I'd suggest having another beer (or other beverage of your choosing) . . . and enjoy that Jayco!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post

If Thor was really concerned about only maximizing profits, they could save a bundle by reducing the Jayco warranty from 2, to 1 year, like the rest of the industry. So far they haven't done that. That says something.

Also, how well Jayco resolves their warranty claims is a very good indicator in terms of accessing Jayco's commitment to their product. So far, Jayco seems to be taking care of their customers on par with how they've done it in the past. That also says something.

As a community, all of us here on the Jayco Owners Forum will no doubt be the first to see any real change in Jayco's warranty commitment---not a blog somewhere. For now, I'd suggest having another beer (or other beverage of your choosing) . . . and enjoy that Jayco!
Amen!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #29

Quote:

Also, how well Jayco resolves their warranty claims is a very good indicator in terms of accessing Jayco's commitment to their product. So far, Jayco seems to be taking care of their customers on par with how they've done it in the past. That also says something!
We purchased a brand new '16 264BHW in January of 2016, and THOUGHT we were making a good purchase. From the PDI forward it's been nothing but disappointment. Some of the workmanship has left something to be desired, but the configuration wasn't our best choice, and that's on our part. The biggest disappointment has been with the dealer versus manufacturer. It's bad when your dealer is 4 miles from the house, and you go to their other store 58 miles away to have service work done. I didn't care to have the trailer at the dealer for 6 weeks to check a faulty propane regulator.

We had a roof issue, and best guess is we brushed a low branch, and put 3 small slits in the very edge of the roof. I drove 18-wheeler for better part of 25 years, so I understand watching for overhead clearance. We didn't know or find the leak until the next camping trip, when I found water damage in the Jayco bag of literature/manuals that was sitting on my bedside table. The paper was still damp and was molding, and some was stuck together. Only when we got the roof replaced did we find out the outer corrugated panels were about 3/16" too tall, and the vinyl was stressed at that roof line. We already had the insurance company involved, and I doubt that warranty would have covered the damage. The flip-side is that with the panels being too high, it would have worn through the vinyl anyway.

In talking with Jayco for warranty concerns for tire and bearing issues, they didn't seem to helpful. I've also heard of the Thor horror stories, and am very reluctant to purchase one of their brands. Extended family we met at our sons wedding have a new '18 Connect TT, and we really liked the configuration, and it's a glass-sided unit. It was a '26 footer that comes in at 6800# gross, the same as our 264BHW, with the bathroom size, and slide-out we need. Upon hearing that it's a Thor-owned company, we will really go through the unit with a fine-toothed comb on PDI, if we go that route.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #30

Quote:

Yup, got a glass next to me as I type. As I noted earlier Jayco continues to be stepping up to the plate on warranty issues. The few I’ve had were dealt with promptly and to my complete satisfaction. The dealer, not so much, I only give them a “fair” which doesn’t matter too much since they’re now gone. We truly love both Jayco we’ve owned and I hope the article is just fluff.
I’m working on my spring “make ready” list in advance of our WDW trip in late May. Today’s task was identifying areas that need caulk touch-up and prepping those areas. Hope to put down some caulk tomorrow afternoon after my volunteer gig at the local food pantry. Potential jury duty on Thu so that day may be a wash-out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Yup, got a glass next to me as I type. As I noted earlier Jayco continues to be stepping up to the plate on warranty issues. The few I’ve had were dealt with promptly and to my complete satisfaction. The dealer, not so much, I only give them a “fair” which doesn’t matter too much since they’re now gone. We truly love both Jayco we’ve owned and I hope the article is just fluff.
I’m working on my spring “make ready” list in advance of our WDW trip in late May. Today’s task was identifying areas that need caulk touch-up and prepping those areas. Hope to put down some caulk tomorrow afternoon after my volunteer gig at the local food pantry. Potential jury duty on Thu so that day may be a wash-out.
Bought a new 2017 Jayco TT in March 2017. Used this TT all of 2017 and only had one issue. Had a problem with the seat cushion on the couch and the dealer was very helpful in getting it taken care of as a warranty issue. When the replacement came in the dealer was quick to notify me and set up an appointment to exchange it. I am very pleased with my dealer and Jayco for their response to this issue.
rust47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #32

We have had most brands at one time or another during our many years of travels...They all can have issues here or there from time to time. None are exempt. No not one!

We have a 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP Class C Motorhome currently and have been very pleased. Minimum issues and a pleasure to drive and camp in. Very comfortable.

I bought several new homes over the years too...they all have needed a few adjustments too...no big deal again.

Now are there the occasional lemons out there??? I think that is true in all products.

My point is don't think changing brands is always going to stop problems...even the most expensive have some of the same issues. Get what you like and can afford and go camping and enjoy life! That is the important thing.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:54 AM   #33

I think they are doing their best to kill Open Range. They closed repair facilities, discontinued lines, got rid of management and quality dropped way off.
Jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcarr59 View Post
We purchased a brand new '16 264BHW in January of 2016, and THOUGHT we were making a good purchase. From the PDI forward it's been nothing but disappointment. Some of the workmanship has left something to be desired, but the configuration wasn't our best choice, and that's on our part. The biggest disappointment has been with the dealer versus manufacturer. It's bad when your dealer is 4 miles from the house, and you go to their other store 58 miles away to have service work done. I didn't care to have the trailer at the dealer for 6 weeks to check a faulty propane regulator.
It is unfortunate that this has been your experience. I own a 2016 264BHW and it has been an amazing purchase for my family, my wife and I agree that it has been our most fulfilling recreational purchase. We have had one warranty issue and that was a rod on the entry steps rusted and snapped. Rather than have my trailer sit at the dealer I took pictures of the broken part and had dealer order a new set under warranty. When they arrived I exchanged old entry steps for new at dealer and went home to install them. I agree that there are better trailers out there as far as finish goes, but not at this price point. This trailer really offers a lot of bang for the buck.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote