Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Thoughts on deeded rv lots.

DW and I have survived to our late 50's and have realized for some time now the dream of buying a little piece of land in the mountains to build on for retirement isn't going to happen. I've been researching some of these communities that sell deeded rv lots. Not exactly the one or two acres of privacy I've dreamt about, but some look pretty darn nice with lakes or rivers and various amenities. I am without a doubt an impulse type of person and would love any opinions good or bad on this in case it's not a good idea.

Thanks!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

My only advice would be to not buy sight unseen. You have to go there and verify the lot is what they say it is. You'll also have to decide if you want neighbors that close to you. Visualize the place with every site occupied. Are the amenities built yet or only promised? Talk to owners of sites next to where you'll be buying to find out if it's really what you think it is. I'm sure all of these suggestions have already been thought of, but just gotta throw in my two cents. Good luck in your quest.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Another key question is the maintenance costs. While they may be cheap now these things tend to go up exponentially to sustain the property and you have little control over this except in the HOA or shareholders meetings. Make sure you really know what your getting into as a lot of these are like Timeshares. Might be better off doing a seasonal site you can walk away from after a season before jumping in with both feet.

Another thing I might check is how resales work. Can you sell or do they have to list and sell.

Also don't trust the salesman! Vet it on your own.

Just my 2 cents.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

Look not only at the site, but consider the location and community. This is such an unfortunate situation: 6 people killed in Texas campsite attack, neighbor charged with murder, sherrif says | Fox News

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #5

a couple of small communities around my cottage had very relaxed rules about lots people bought to put a trailer on. Then people started complaining, so the rules started changing, they now need a well, and a septic system to legally put a trailer on a lot... still cheaper than builder a cottage, but a lot more expensive than it used to be!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Another key question is the maintenance costs. While they may be cheap now these things tend to go up exponentially to sustain the property and you have little control over this except in the HOA or shareholders meetings. Make sure you really know what your getting into as a lot of these are like Timeshares. Might be better off doing a seasonal site you can walk away from after a season before jumping in with both feet.

Another thing I might check is how resales work. Can you sell or do they have to list and sell.

Also don't trust the salesman! Vet it on your own.

Just my 2 cents.
X2
Old 11-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
DW and I have survived to our late 50's and have realized for some time now the dream of buying a little piece of land in the mountains to build on for retirement isn't going to happen. I've been researching some of these communities that sell deeded rv lots. Not exactly the one or two acres of privacy I've dreamt about, but some look pretty darn nice with lakes or rivers and various amenities. I am without a doubt an impulse type of person and would love any opinions good or bad on this in case it's not a good idea.
Thanks!
There's two or three 5-7 acre lots up for sale where SWMBO and I camp. Just outside of Adirondack State Park. Back line is a trout stream.

Driveways are in. Electricity on the road. Less than 20 minute drive to food/supplies.

PM me and I think I can hook you up with the realtors.

One couple already has their retirement home built and they are there full time. We cleared the trees from the building area few weeks ago. A young-ish couple live on the other side of the cul-de-sac.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
DW and I have survived to our late 50's and have realized for some time now the dream of buying a little piece of land in the mountains to build on for retirement isn't going to happen.
What about buying a small parcel of land up around Hiawassee GA, just to the north of you. It is not built up, a lot of vacant land in the mountains.. We go to a CG up there in Hiawassee every year and next year we are going seasonal, and the TT stays on the lot year round. We are right on a creek. It is the next best thing to owning a lot. I am still looking for that little parcel of land on a creek that we can purchase and leave the TT on it year round. There is a RV resort some where around Blairsville Ga that is by a creek and when it rains hard the creek overflows. One of the small cabins had muddy water marks up past the wheels. Be careful!!! The problem with those lots you are talking about is that if you do not like it there once you move in, you are stuck, because they do not sell fast. If you find one a lot you like, ask if you can camp there for a season (season rates) and then you can decide. Some of those places have a section just for short time RVers.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Mustang65;356472]What about buying a small parcel of land up around Hiawassee GA, just to the north of you. It is not built up, a lot of vacant land in the mountains.. We go to a CG up there in Hiawassee every year and next year we are going seasonal, and the TT stays on the lot year round. We are right on a creek. It is the next best thing to owning a lot. I am still looking for that little parcel of land on a creek that we can purchase and leave the TT on it year round. There is a RV resort some where around Blairsville Ga that is by a creek and when it rains hard the creek overflows. One of the small cabins had muddy water marks up past the wheels. Be careful!!! The problem with those lots you are talking about is that if you do not like it there once you move in, you are stuck, because they do not sell fast. If you find one a lot you like, ask if you can camp there for a season (season rates) and then you can decide. Some of those places have a section just for short time RVers.

Hey Don, you must have been there the same time we were there, Mountain View RV Resort. October, 2013. The place flooded and we were camped in our Jayco Eagle there. It was our first trip in our new rig. The cabin next to the creek was under water and people were actually staying there. We were on the row right in front of that unit in the second spot from the end of that row. Nice Motor home from Florida was in the first spot I believe. They have changed ownership now and we just got a mailing from them recently. The whole section of that road was underwater but the rest of the park was pretty high and dry. Still something to look out for. I'm originally from Plant City, Fl. Love Jim's BBQ there.
Joe

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks!
You sound like me. I had the dream when I was 21 and just out of college. We looked at the deeded type of lots and found they were way too expensive. After looking at the fine print in the contract, regarding what you could or couldn't do, I was sure it was a bad idea.

One of our desires was the ability to target shoot. Nothing outrageous, just a little .22 rifle punching paper. That was a no-no everywhere. Others actually restricted what you could build. Finally, most lots were small and close together, so there was no privacy.

Then, we started looking at ordinary real estate. That took years! Had a few deals fall through, and most parcels were either on bad roads, or too expensive.

At age 38 I found what I was looking for. Eleven acres with a stream and 800 feet of road frontage on a paved highway. That's when we bought our first RV. Installed a driveway, leveled a site and off we went. The startup costs were $5,000 and the annual taxes and insurance were $100.

Since then we added and stocked a pond, a covered rifle range, a covered pistol range. When the 20 acres across the road went up for sale in an auction, we bought that too and added 2 more campsites for our 2 sons. The total cost has been about $12,000.

We are in NY....I don't know about other parts of the country. But at least here there IS still property for sale. It just takes a lot of searching.

Try state, county or towns for annual tax auctions. Contact oil and timber companies. Find a realtor in the boonies that handles vacant land.

In the end land will probably be cheaper than a community, you'll have the privacy you want, and the only maintenence "cost" will be your own labor.
Attached Thumbnails
PA130018web.jpg   P5260020web.jpg  
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #11

[QUOTE=namusmc65;356481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
What about buying a small parcel of land up around Hiawassee GA, just to the north of you. It is not built up, a lot of vacant land in the mountains.. We go to a CG up there in Hiawassee every year and next year we are going seasonal, and the TT stays on the lot year round. We are right on a creek. It is the next best thing to owning a lot. I am still looking for that little parcel of land on a creek that we can purchase and leave the TT on it year round. There is a RV resort some where around Blairsville Ga that is by a creek and when it rains hard the creek overflows. One of the small cabins had muddy water marks up past the wheels. Be careful!!! The problem with those lots you are talking about is that if you do not like it there once you move in, you are stuck, because they do not sell fast. If you find one a lot you like, ask if you can camp there for a season (season rates) and then you can decide. Some of those places have a section just for short time RVers.

Hey Don, you must have been there the same time we were there, Mountain View RV Resort. October, 2013. The place flooded and we were camped in our Jayco Eagle there. It was our first trip in our new rig. The cabin next to the creek was under water and people were actually staying there. We were on the row right in front of that unit in the second spot from the end of that row. Nice Motor home from Florida was in the first spot I believe. They have changed ownership now and we just got a mailing from them recently. The whole section of that road was underwater but the rest of the park was pretty high and dry. Still something to look out for. I'm originally from Plant City, Fl. Love Jim's BBQ there.
Joe
Once we looked at a new deeded campsite area that was still under construction. They were building a dam for a lake and had all the elevations taped off. The lots were quite pricy, and the waterfront lots were astronomical.

When the dam was closed all of the waterfront sites were under water, including a few that had newly built cabins on them. I guess the engineer's transit was off when he surveyed the property.....LOL.

That caused the company to go bankrupt, and all the people that had the waterfront sites lost all of their money.

Boy, that settled it for us to not buy in a community!
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #12

I would also think about if you really want to be locked into one area long term. You may decide you want to travel and see this great country. Doing a season at a time allows you to really investigate an area and then move onto a new adventure. We had 80 acres with a cabin for years, but as we got closer to retiring, and our kids moved out of state, being tied to one location was not "right" for us. We sold that land and now travel for about 6 months a year, sometimes work kamping sometimes just traveling. I know our tastes and "wants" have changed over the years. We never got into time shares for much the same reason not getting into purchasing an RV site....to many variables we have no control over. Good Luck making your decision. I suggest this is not a time to be impulsive.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #13

In Washington state we have a good number of what are called "membership campgrounds". These campgrounds are not like Thousand Trails. These are private campgrounds that have a large number of camping lots and your lot is your membership with exclusive use of that lot. Legally, you own 1/466th of 68 acres.

I have been a member of Mountain River Trails in Cle Elum WA for 20+ years. There are 466 lots of varying sizes on 68 acres in pine covered forest. There are By-laws and Restrictions of Facilities that are voted on by the members. The By-laws have to follow state laws and include things like management of the park by a board of directors and a 270 day stay limit per year.

On my lot, I have a 1986 Western Wilderness Cimarron pretty much permanently parked there with a shed and city water and a large outdoor brick fireplace. The fore fathers were stupid and did not put in power when the park opened, so there are seven restrooms with propane lights and hot water. also a clubhouse with two rec rooms and electric restrooms. Also about 5 miles of gravel roads. There is a Booster Club that has planned family activities during the summer. 24/7 Caretakers on premise and a card operated security gate.

Our lot cost us $7,000.00 (yes, seven thousand) when we bought the lot and the yearly dues are a horrible $350.00 PER YEAR! When I make the yearly dues payment, I say the first night of camping of the year cost us $350.00. If we stay two nights, $175.00 per night. By the time the season ends, we are usually down to about $10 per night or less.

The trip is 90 miles from home near Seattle on the sunny side of the Cascade Mountains!

Not sure if they have places like this in GA or not. BTW, no sales people at the campground. Most lots get sold on Craigslist!

Murff

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
Site Team

There is one on Ivy Log Rd, near Blairsville, Ga. Arrowhead RV park. All lots are privately owned and pretty reasonable.
Nice quiet place. We have stayed there. They do not have any transient sites. All are privately owned. Lots of For Sale signs posted.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #15

So much good advise I don't know where to begin. You New York folks, I grew up in Franklin County and know first hand how beautiful it is up there and can tell you most people not familiar only think of New York City. I'm also glad to see how many are familiar with N. Georgia and the Blue Ridge Mountains. We have a modest home 40 miles north of ATL. When we moved to the county it had a population of 50,000 or so, told the DW, a Georgia native, I felt like I was back up in the country, but close enough to Atlanta to take advantage of the good things the city offers. Fast forward 23 years and we're now a bedroom community of almost 200,000 and still growing and what was farm land is now subdivisions and strip malls etc.
So I'm not going to rush into something, I'll think more about hanging in at the house as Atlanta's population keeps growing and like some one said travel America and see all the great places and things we're blessed with. After all, that was the point of "Goin Mobile" to begin with. Re-visiting the land idea is also a good suggestion. We might be able to find some smaller that we can develop and park one on when the house is paid off!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #16

I'm not sure if it was mentioned but typically these types of sites do not appreciate much in value. They are like time shares, easy to buy, hard to sell, and when you do it's often at a loss.

Best options would be to as you said, buy a small plot of land that has the improvements needed to run electric and sewer and get a permit to park a trailer there, or look at a seasonal site somewhere nice.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #17

Sally and I have a lot on a river in North Idaho. No POA just county codes. It's on a flood plain so you can't build on it but everything else is ok. We have no regrets after 24 years.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #18

Not an RV experience, but similar.

My Dad bought a modest cabin built in a community of like minded folks. He "owned" the cabin, not the land it was on. For many years it worked very nicely for him, my step mother, and her children. Then the place went bankrupt.

Dad didn't lose that much monetarily and never felt cheated. My advice is that if you aren't prepared to walk away with nothing but good memories then not really owning the land outright might not be for you.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote