Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #21

Negotiated a slide topper as part of the purchase agreement with dealer. Have had no problem with it in almost 7 years. I appreciate it every time I see someone on top of their RV in a campground. The older I get, the less climbing I want to do.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #22

Our toppers collect quite a bit of water too. I'm thinking about turning the bars on the slide 1/6 of a turn to give some slope. Has anybody having this issue tried this? Also on our 27RS the kitchen slide interferes with the awning so the dealer had to slide the topper as far to the rear of the slide as possible allowing for only 1 set screw on the rear mount. Other than these two issues, I like mine.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #23

I agree, I wouldn’t go without them. What a pain to clean off slides and risk damage bringing in debris. I still recommend a blow off before bringing them in.

Also really helps with the sun. You will be amazed by the difference trying to keep your unit cool.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #24

I like them, always had them. I don’t have a very deep slide on my class C, so wind isn’t a factor for me and when we winter camp, I keep my slide in in bad weather and/or low temps, easier to keep coach warm. It also Keeps debris out, keeps top seal from getting dried out by the florida sun.

Can only see disadvantages not having them.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #25

Topper one more thought

What nobody mentioned is that when you retract the slider the top of the slider is now inside the unit. Dirt, leaves, bugs, sap, etc. are now inside with you! For that reason having the topper reduces a lot of the dirt. A selfie stick is only a solution if you also have a ladder or other way to access and clean the top. Our unit does not have a roof ladder and being a 24 foot sprinter carrying a ladder would be difficult so for us the added protection of the slider is worth it. I am not sure about other sliders but the top of ours is some kind of white plastic cloth that does not seem to be a material I would trust with constant full sunlight degrading it. Water does build up in the rain. Even though you are supposed to slide in and out in one continuous movement if there has been a good rain I will bring it in part way and wait as the water cascades off before finishing the job. After 27,000 miles and 3 years we have had one night where the slider was such an issue that we had to slide the slider in. Colorado Springs with sustained winds at 50 MPH.
kayakkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashdman11 View Post
Mine came with the Solera prep on them but not sure if I want/need them. What are your thoughts and opinions on them?
I don't have them, and wouldn't want them. I get up on the roof of my trailer and sweep off the slide before I pull it in. Couldn't do that with a topper. Debris is airborne. There's bound to be some leaves, pine needles, etc. that get blown in under the topper. How ya' gonna get them outta there? My slide is 16 ft. long. I'd need an 8' broom and have to use it from both ends. I've seen all kinds of extra work people do to (a) check for and clear debris, (b) keep the flapping to a minimum, and (c) keep the toppers from collecting water. All of which seem like a lot more work than just sweeping off the slide roof.
GoodeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodeRV View Post
I don't have them, and wouldn't want them. I get up on the roof of my trailer and sweep off the slide before I pull it in. Couldn't do that with a topper. Debris is airborne. There's bound to be some leaves, pine needles, etc. that get blown in under the topper. How ya' gonna get them outta there? My slide is 16 ft. long. I'd need an 8' broom and have to use it from both ends. I've seen all kinds of extra work people do to (a) check for and clear debris, (b) keep the flapping to a minimum, and (c) keep the toppers from collecting water. All of which seem like a lot more work than just sweeping off the slide roof.
I've been full time for two years and only once in those two years did I need to use my leaf blower to clear a very small amount of pine needles that made their way under the slide toppers. Mine never ever collect water. Wouldn't trade them for anything!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #28

Our friends don’t have them and had something that landed on top of their slide get caught when they pulled it in and ripped the slide roof.

We got ours from the dealer before we left the lot - love it.
shloubrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloubrew View Post
Our friends don’t have them and had something that landed on top of their slide get caught when they pulled it in and ripped the slide roof. We got ours from the dealer before we left the lot - love it.
Bingo!!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #30

Went camping in the fall with in-laws.
When we were ready to leave, I pulled in the slide. I have the topper, wouldn't leave the dealer lot until it was installed (they suggested I come back for it).
When he was ready to leave, he had to drag out a step-ladder and a broom to get the wet leaves and sticks off the slide. He's really too old to be getting off the ground.
Same with snow if you like winter glamping.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #31

Don't have slide awnings. If those awning would guarantee no leaves, sticks etc. Would get under the awnings I'd get them. But seen guy bring in his slides not knowing some branches got under awning and tore up seaming flap and did damage to camper inside. But I do not cleaning from roof
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Don't have slide awnings. If those awning would guarantee no leaves, sticks etc. Would get under the awnings I'd get them. But seen guy bring in his slides not knowing some branches got under awning and tore up seaming flap and did damage to camper inside. But I do not cleaning from roof
I can say with absolute certainty, that without slide awnings your chances of getting leaves and debris on top are 100% as opposed to less than 2% with them.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #33

X2 what Rustic Eagle said. Our TT didn't come with a slide topper, and I decided to see what prolems might be encountered without one. Keepng the top of the slide and seals clear of debris was a continuing--though not insurmountable-- concern. A situation arose where it became necessary to break camp in the middle of a heavy downpour. Retracting a large slide during a heavy rain will introduce a flood of water into your rig. That was reason enough for me to order and install a topper. I think the problems expressed by others about flapping and water pooling result primarily from age or improper installation. If the arrangement is properly installed, sloped and tensioned I suspect those problems would be minimized. Longer units would obviously benefit from some sort of center support. That situation has been addressed extensively in other parts of the forum. (Some seasonal folks have described birds building nests under the topper.) An unexpected sidebar benefit has been a dramatic reduction in noise during rainstorms by eliminating rain from hitting directly on the top of the slide.
We.ve decided the benefits of having a slide topper far outweigh any drawbacks.

r
MoRyde CRE 3000 Suspension Upgrade w/WetBolt kit.
RoadMaster 2 Axle Shock Absorber Kit.
1985 Coachman Catlina 20' (sold)
Sbrinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #34

Gosh, I've never had slide toppers, and never had any water coming in during rains while retracting. That's what the seals are for.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodeRV View Post
That's why my 15 year old son goes up the ladder and sweeps off the slide out. He also walks all over the roof looking for cracks and other potential issues.
You can't do that if you don't go up on the roof!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Gosh, I've never had slide toppers, and never had any water coming in during rains while retracting. That's what the seals are for.
PaulB12
I have had them on most (if not all) of my previous RV's, however they didn't come on what I currently own which I have owned for about 6 years now. I wonder how many of us here who feel they are very important to have actually have had an RV without them and used it for a year or more w/o awnings? I ask because I have never once had water come in, the seals on mine are in great shape still, I am able to clean the top whenever a lot of dust settles on it (try that with an awning in your way). When I had the awnings, I had issues with water puddling on the top, wind causing the awnings to flap, I couldn't get under (between the slider and awning) very easily, had a bird build a nest where the awning and edge of the slideout meet, had to replace the awning material after 4~5 years of age due to tears and small holes. I also discovered on the 5th wheel I owned last, that the slideout seal wasn't very good to start with, the awning cover did help with that... but not completely as I would still get some water intrusion until I fixed the seal (it wasn't installed correctly).

With all that said, they do what they do, so I am not against having a slide-out awning, point being is that because mine didn't come with one, and I decided to wait and see if it was really needed, I determined that I haven't encountered any issues with not having one. I suppose if I was camped under trees where small to large limbs could fall that the awning would keep the limbs off of the slideout, but on the other hand, tree limbs falling on the awning likely would be an issue as well, especially after a few years and when the awning material gets weaker. Perhaps pine cones wouldn't cause much harm.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to slideout awnings, my opinion is simply that they are not as valuable (for me anyway) as many people believe they are. In other words I wouldn't remove them if mine already had them, but now that I have gone without them, I wouldn't install them either. I still suggest to the OP and others, if yours doesn't have them, give it a try and make up your mind after a season or two. It is very affordable to go without them to see how things work out before purchasing.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have had them on most (if not all) of my previous RV's, however they didn't come on what I currently own which I have owned for about 6 years now. I wonder how many of us here who feel they are very important to have actually have had an RV without them and used it for a year or more w/o awnings? I ask because I have never once had water come in, the seals on mine are in great shape still, I am able to clean the top whenever a lot of dust settles on it (try that with an awning in your way). When I had the awnings, I had issues with water puddling on the top, wind causing the awnings to flap, I couldn't get under (between the slider and awning) very easily, had a bird build a nest where the awning and edge of the slideout meet, had to replace the awning material after 4~5 years of age due to tears and small holes. I also discovered on the 5th wheel I owned last, that the slideout seal wasn't very good to start with, the awning cover did help with that... but not completely as I would still get some water intrusion until I fixed the seal (it wasn't installed correctly).

With all that said, they do what they do, so I am not against having a slide-out awning, point being is that because mine didn't come with one, and I decided to wait and see if it was really needed, I determined that I haven't encountered any issues with not having one. I suppose if I was camped under trees where small to large limbs could fall that the awning would keep the limbs off of the slideout, but on the other hand, tree limbs falling on the awning likely would be an issue as well, especially after a few years and when the awning material gets weaker. Perhaps pine cones wouldn't cause much harm.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to slideout awnings, my opinion is simply that they are not as valuable (for me anyway) as many people believe they are. In other words I wouldn't remove them if mine already had them, but now that I have gone without them, I wouldn't install them either. I still suggest to the OP and others, if yours doesn't have them, give it a try and make up your mind after a season or two. It is very affordable to go without them to see how things work out before purchasing.
October will be 6 years we had our 28BHBE. No slide out awning on it. I have not had any issues. Every spring, once during the summer and again in the fall, I lubricate the seals and they still look like new. As mentioned in the previous post, when it is time to retract the slide, My son goes up on the roof and sweeps off the slide, looks it over and also looks over the rest of the roof. Makes me feel a lot better knowing my roof is getting REGULAR inspections.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #38

In an earlier comment I mentioned using a selfie stick for those who wanted to check the slideout roof, as another thought, you could also use a mirror on a pole. I don't necessarily recommend this one, but just for an idea of what I am talking about. I suspect you could make your own for a lot less that this. I will also add, even with a slideout awning you would do yourself a favor to check the slideout below the awning prior to pulling it in, you never know what could be up there hiding.

Also, either with a selfie stick (turn your phone on video is what I like best) or a mirror, it is good to check not only the slideout top but the entire roof top as well. While it would be hard to check the seals, seems, and sealant, you could at least get an idea of how things are looking up top.

One other thought, some of you don't have a built-in ladder, I have one but I also have a lightweight telescoping ladder. I use it to get on the main ladder if/when needed as well as to have an easy to move around ladder. You don't have to get all the way on top of the roof to view it or to remove something from the top of the slideout if ever needed and it makes things a lot simpler for sure. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
MirrorPole-Capture.JPG  
Old 03-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #39

Interesting point of views. I keep going back and forth with each post I read, lol. My previous trailer didn't have the topper and I never had an issue so I'm leaning towards not getting them right now. I like the idea of getting on my roof to inspect it and the slides are simple to sweep off. Maybe as I get older my opinion will change after climbing that ladder a thousand times. You all have gave me a lot of things I hadn't thought of both for and against them. I thinks it's funny how people are mostly die hard one way or the other. Keep them coming!
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:20 AM   #40

My first trailer never had them and it was fine. Kinda forced me to get on top and clean them. Which also gets me on the roof and inspecting a lot more often than if I had toppers and became lazy. I do however plan on getting them on my new coach to see what all the hub-bub's about. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine at some point you still need to clean under the awnings periodically. Maybe not leaves and such but plain old dirt.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote