Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Threads of a different texture!

OK, I should have just titled it "t-Paper", but thought I'd pique the Forum's interest. I've seen an occasional (not many) reference to the necessary accessory to the commode and sometimes a suggestion, i.e. Amazon, Walmart, etc. However, never have I seen a really definitive recommendation including product name, attributes, perhaps price comparison, et al. Until I bought my little Jayco last year and finally used the black water holding tank, the only thought I gave to toilet paper was its - uh - absorbency and "scratchiness". Laugh if you will, but until you try German T-paper, withhold your cynicism ! ANYHOW - to the point - I, and perhaps other newbies, would appreciate any and all suggestions on what and why travelers use their pet paper product. A little decorum please - photos are neither necessary nor encouraged - unless, of course, it would be instructive - maybe not even then! No, really - I'm serious - and if you can't take a joke, well ...
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #2

We have used Scott single ply in 3 motorhomes over 15 years.
We don't always use it in the sticks and bricks home, depends on where we are when we need to buy some (city sewer connection at home).

Another question is; Do you prefer the top or the bottom?

For the roll on the dispenser--not what some of you may have been thinking about.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

We use the same stuff as at home -- DW has a particular double ply brand she prefers, so I let her buy whatever she wants. But if it's septic safe (we're on a municipal sewer system, so it doesn't matter to us) then it will be safe for a RV holding tank.

Don't use triple ply. It doesn't disintegrate as well as double or single ply. I learned that the hard way.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

X2, septic safe is the key.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #5

Come on now Jeff, I would figure you ship guys would have all the low down on that one required necessity which must be met before anything else. Even us jarheads know what a good sheet of sandpaper is for....

Ok, seriously, I have tried many different brands over many years. Honestly, I never gave it much thought, I just bought what was cheap off the shelf without paying much attention. That us until I punched a whole in the tank of my old 5er. It was during the cleanup/clean out and repair that I saw what cheap stuff becomes.

One day, I stumbled on this youtube channel and came across this video. It gives some great information. However, I have a personal belief, "trust but verify". So you can imagine my DW's surprise when I decided to conduct my own experiment. Guess what, my results came out the same. The only difference was I conducted my experiment with RV Tank chemical treated water.

https://youtu.be/-twQoVcZTaw

I use the same stuff now, both at home and in the RV.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

I just use whatever I use in the house. I haven't had any reasons yet to use anything different. We've been using Costco paper for the last few years and it works fine.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
Site Team

We use Angel Soft at home with a septic system and we use the same brand on the road.
Our tank is rarely emptied before 3 days, often a week.

Any septic safe paper will break down.

Disclaimer: Use what you want.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

For years, we always used Scott single ply tissue in our RVs. After reading here that the Costco was good for the RV, we tried it as that is what we use at home.

After one trip with the Costco brand, we are back to using Scott. Like many here on the JOF that complain about a poo-pyramid forming directly where the toilet empties into the holding tank, the Costco TP seemed to make it worse. The conclusion being that the black water tank is very shallow where the toilet empties into it and if there isn't enough water and a little dawn dish soap to make the bottom of the poo tank slick, it won't move quick enough to the deep end of the pool.

With the Scott brand of TP, it seems to dissolve quicker than the Costco.

My opinion and worth what you paid for it!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

All kinds of different opinions on this......

Mine: it really doesn't matter, as long as you don't skimp on water. The only times I've ever had problems, the ladies (who tend to use copious amounts of paper) were trying to conserve water, and I got clogs in the pipe leading to the tank, due to lack of flow to carry said paper away. I'd rather carry water, than to deal with clogs.

One thing to remember, these are holding tanks, not septic tanks. The disintegrating TP isn't as important in this use. While I have had the pipe clog between the toilet and tank, I've never had the tank outlet clog. As long as the TP isn't blocking pipes, it makes no difference if it's whole or disintegrated.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #10

So many different brands and opinions out there. Posts like this can be 'sticky' and down right 'crappy' at times. generally, any advice found will will be a 'movement' in the right direction...

Ok, I am done with the one liners now.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #11

Good grief Gunny - who writes your stuff, GEN. CHAPPY (ret)? As you should know, we Coasties seldom stayed out long enough to use that portion of the head! Ref abarki's query, "over the top"; I never could find the bitter end when unrolled from the bottom. I'm as confused about the type of paper as when I started this thread - Scott's, Costco, etc. - I asked initially because my dealer knew I camped in very cold weather, and he was of the opinion the dissolving stuff was less likely to freeze thereby reducing the likelihood of all kinds of havoc in the black tank. Watching Gunny's video (I haven't yet) may provide more guidance.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #12

Gunny, that kid on that video was a rock star - kinda reminded me of the first time I tried to field strip and reassemble the .45 in boot camp, ".. but Boats, I can't do this..". Anyway, "verified" - looks like many of the Forum responders are correct. Just 'cause it says MARINE or RV doesn't mean it disintegrates any better than some of the normal stuff. Now, if I can just refrain from "squeezing the Charmin"! Can't hardly wait to unroll the rest of any responses. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #13

And the bad puns just keep on coming. lmao.
I could 'wipe' the slate clean but I think we all know what a 'load' that would be.
Since you indicated that you camp in cold weather as do I from time to time. I will go ahead and give some tips for those times when a person may be camped in temps below freezing regarding the black tank usage.
As usual, you should utilize a chemical treatment and pre-treat your black tank with about a gallon or two prior to heading out. When the temps are in the teens and lower, also add a half gallon of the pink RV antifreeze, or buy some water softener salt, and add a couple of cups of that down your toilet. The water softener salts lowers the freezing point of the water (I learned this from a 'port a jon' company, who sets out portajons at construction sites here in Alaska). If you're going to be out several days, every time you use the toilet, add a cup or two of RV antifreeze (the stuff is cheap).
When we do a December campout and the temps are often 20 below zero or colder where we go, we do not even de-winterize the trailer. We have a 35 gallon portable water tank and hand pump we leave inside the trailer. Sure it can get in the way a bit but we are still camping/hunting.

Remember when you squeeze the Charmin, it's "Best for Bear Bottoms"

I wonder who will remember that slogan?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #14

Jeff,

My best advice is to test your own. It is simple to do, and will make you feel better. We use a TP that is made by Scott Paper , but at the local plant; I couldn't say that the ones made at Scott's five other facilities are any better. We use this one at home, and it is not listed as septic safe, etc.

BUT, I actually spend 20 minutes each spring checking a batch, and then throw a few rolls into the TT for the season when satisfied. Just check YouTube for a bunch of great videos on how to test your own. Basically, you just grab a mason jar, fold up 3-4 sheets, and immerse in water. Agitate gently, I rotate the jar 3-4 times, then let it stand for 15-20 minutes. If all you have left at the end of that is mush, you have the right stuff. If it still looks at all like the stuff you put in the jar, don't use it and try a different brand. Surprisingly, a lot of the "septic safe" stuff doesn't disintegrate all that quick. You want one that doesn't create wads that clog your sensors. RV waste rarely goes into septic systems, it goes into a small holding tank, followed by a much larger holding tank, followed by the local farmer's field...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote