Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Tight But Wiggly Lugs.

I decided to check the lug nuts on our 2012 x23B. The lug nuts are tight, but I can wiggle them with my fingers. It has aluminum rims. The rig is sitting on leveling blocks (~4”) on one side (and it still is not level). The lug nuts on that side I can wiggle with my fingers, but they are tight when I take the torque wrench to them. I backed them off and tried torque them up again, with the same results. My thoughts make me wonder if the aluminum rims are flexing from being up on blocks. I did not try jacking up the TT to take the weight off the wheels.

I am a little confused and concerned . I am planning to take off in a few days. I am thinking when we leave to pull into a flat parking lot and check all the lug nuts again. I guess I will call the dealer tomorrow.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #2

If you can wiggle them with your fingers that would suggest that they are bottoming out on the stud threads before the lug nut taper contacts the wheel. Whether the rim is "flexing" or not is irrelevant and unlikely. The wheel studs and lug nuts pull the wheel, brake drum and axle hub all together as one unit.

Makes me think that the studs are loose in the hub and arent' threaded down far enough to let the nut screw down sufficiently. If you jack up the wheel off the ground, can you wiggle the whole tire and rim or is it solid on the axle?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #3

I had a car once with stainless covers over the lug nuts to make the nuts look nice, they always wiggled even though the nuts were tight. Could this be the case here?

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #4

Regardless of the cause, that is a totally unsafe condition. Either you have lugs that were not threaded far enough and the nuts are bottoming, or if you have the acorn type lug nugs, they may have been manufactured wrong, they are not be deep enough and the lugs are bottoming out in the nuts. Best case, you waller out the holes in your rims(expensive). Worst case, you snap of lugs and lose a wheel doing 65(dangerous). I'm a little concerned that you would even consider pulling that trailer with wheels in that condition.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #5

I had a simmler problem with my last trailer and it had the lug nuts that tslarson was talking about in fact on about 3 of them the covers came off and just left you with a standard lug nut but even with loose covers nuts were tight and if you jacked it up wheels were tight as well. Had same type lug nuts on wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee covers were loose lost one cover replaced all lug nuts. As long as nuts and wheels are tight you should not have a problem but you could take it by any tire store and they can tell you if there is a problem or not.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

Tslarson, I think you are on to it. I spoke with the dealer this morning. He stated these lug nuts have an aluminum plated brass cover on them. They stated they have seen this issue before and recommended pulling one lug nut to verify. They stated if so, torque them to the correct load, and go on my trip. Next time I am in they will replace all of them. I guess I will be checking a few lug nuts tonight, for loose covers.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

I removed and inspected each wiggly lug nut. They are exactly as tslarson described. I may have to make an upgrade to solid lug nuts without covers.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I removed and inspected each wiggly lug nut. They are exactly as tslarson described. I may have to make an upgrade to solid lug nuts without covers.
I have the same lug nuts. The nuts are made to not loosen like regular lug nuts. You should have had a flyer on the lug nuts in your camper papers.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

If they're torqued, they aren't wiggly. Squishy feeling chrome covers are not an issue. There is no way that you can wiggle a lug nut with your hands that is torqued to proper specs. Even if the nut was the wrong size and was snugging to the hub instead of the wheel, you still couldn't wiggle it. If the wheel is solid, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you just want to spend $20 on new nuts.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Ive seen simillar issue on aftermarket lug nuts (on a truck) with the incorrect seat angle for the wheel as you describe. glad to hear it was just the covers. I have those black plastic covers that just slip on the nuts.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote