Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #61

I have the TireMinder T66M and absolutely love it! I will never travel without a tire monitor again.
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #62

Thumbs up Tire monitoring system...LIKE IT A LOT!!!

Definitely brings peace of mind! I would rather have the opportunity to avoid a blowout with an advanced warning if possible! Saves me a world of hurt - literally - should the tire blow and I flip my rig! It isn't a 100% guarantee, but we think it's better than no warning at all!

"Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road, Healthy, free, the world before me, The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose."

(from Song of the Open Road by Walt Whitman)
FlamingoKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #63

Got them installed now. One thing the tech at the tire shop and I noticed immediately when demonstrating how far they stuck out from the wheels was that with the sensor screwed on to the rubber stem, there was a constant air leak. We tried a couple of tires and they both leaked.It was not a problem since I was bringing in the wheels/tires to have metal stems put on anyway to avoid damage from curbs/rocks or whatever I might clip in our travels.

2nd thing was trying to actually find a valve stem that would work on the 13" Sendel wheels that come on the X20E as I wanted a 90 Degree stem to bring the sensors closer to the center of the wheel. Luckily a rep was in that same afternoon and he recommended the stems which the Tire shop installed once they received them. Sadly, they mount with a rubber seal in the Wheel hole which means there is still a tad bit of flex, but likely a lot less than with a rubber stem. I am hoping the centrifugal force while travelling is somewhat negated in this orientation. I will have to see how this performs on our up vacation where I suspect we'll be putting on about 1500Km.

Here are a few shots.

I do have a question although it's not a real clever one, LOL
The tires on the rims are TOW MAX. 13" The PSI rating is 51. The TST monitor only allows me to set a High Alert PSI to 101 degrees at it's lowest setting. I would have liked to set it to something like 60 PSI to alarm on but can't so does everyone in this situation just ignore the small detail and simply watch for a HIGH temp reading around 60PSI on the display?? It's pressure loss that is my main concern so the low PSI alert should be fine. I set it to 47 PSI until I get a feel for this system.

Also, what might a reasonable Temp warning be for these dinky tires? 120 Seems high if even attainable before a melt down otherwise the sensors seem to be displaying PSI properly +/-1 lb from my air compressor tire gauge. In other words I pump in 51 PSI but the sensors show 50 which is fine.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Got them installed now. One thing the tech at the tire shop and I noticed immediately when demonstrating how far they stuck out from the wheels was that with the sensor screwed on to the rubber stem, there was a constant air leak. We tried a couple of tires and they both leaked.It was not a problem since I was bringing in the wheels/tires to have metal stems put on anyway to avoid damage from curbs/rocks or whatever I might clip in our travels.

2nd thing was trying to actually find a valve stem that would work on the 13" Sendel wheels that come on the X20E as I wanted a 90 Degree stem to bring the sensors closer to the center of the wheel. Luckily a rep was in that same afternoon and he recommended the stems which the Tire shop installed once they received them. Sadly, they mount with a rubber seal in the Wheel hole which means there is still a tad bit of flex, but likely a lot less than with a rubber stem. I am hoping the centrifugal force while travelling is somewhat negated in this orientation. I will have to see how this performs on our up vacation where I suspect we'll be putting on about 1500Km.

Here are a few shots.

I do have a question although it's not a real clever one, LOL
The tires on the rims are TOW MAX. 13" The PSI rating is 51. The TST monitor only allows me to set a High Alert PSI to 101 degrees at it's lowest setting. I would have liked to set it to something like 60 PSI to alarm on but can't so does everyone in this situation just ignore the small detail and simply watch for a HIGH temp reading around 60PSI on the display?? It's pressure loss that is my main concern so the low PSI alert should be fine. I set it to 47 PSI until I get a feel for this system.

Also, what might a reasonable Temp warning be for these dinky tires? 120 Seems high if even attainable before a melt down otherwise the sensors seem to be displaying PSI properly +/-1 lb from my air compressor tire gauge. In other words I pump in 51 PSI but the sensors show 50 which is fine.

Don't sweat the temp warnings. The pressures are what are most important. If you have the PSI right and the unit is not overloaded, the temps are not a major issue. Ive had tire temps run as high as 125 degrees on really hot days. If you don't keep your psi up where it needs to be, thats when you really build heat and run a risk of tire failure. I did a little research and found that in the desert southwest, tire temps. will run as high as 140 degrees at higher speeds on hot days. Overload and tire pressure is what is important. Tire temp will take care of itself if the other two are looked after.
The TPS that I use sends out warnings at 15% plus or minus where you set the limits. Rapid air lose happens much sooner!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #65

For those who have experience with TPMS how much PSI rise do you see on hot days under normal conditions?

My tires are 50 PSI cold. On a hundred mile run with 90 degrees ambient temp I typically see a 4 - 8 PSI rise in pressure. Physically checking the tires everything is OK.

Would like to hear other's experience with pressure rise.

Thanks.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #66

65 psi cold. 74 psi hot is normal for us on 90 degree days. Did have them reach 81 psi on a day that was 105 degrees last year!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #67
Site Team

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

First off, I would be more concerned about the tow max tires but the TSPS system will be a great help.
As for pressure and temps, I have E rated tires at. 80 psi. I notice the psi run approx 10 psi more when constant running. Often more.
Temps are usually 10-20 deg F above outside temp. They run a little cooler at highway speed and when you stop at a rest area they will go up a few deg due to lack of air movement. Mine are alarmed at 158 deg.

The alarm parameters are what they are with your system.
I find myself scanning the display just like scanning the mirrors and gauges.
BTW, best money I ever spent Rving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
First off, I would be more concerned about the tow max tires but the TSPS system will be a great help.
I was just reading up on that. DW would freak if I even mention tire replacement at this point after all the new toys I have bought to go along with this trailer, not to mention hand packing the wheel bearings. I'll see about a replacement next year or sooner if I spot a deal but thanks for mentioning the Tow Max issue.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #69

When setting the high pressure setpoint, you need to set the low pressure setpoint first and then go back and set the high. When cycling through the parameters, you get the high setpoint first and it does not allow a setpoint higher than the low. Took me a couple tries to figure that out. Now that you have the low setpoints at 47, you can set the high for 60 -62 psi.

So far we have seen at most a 10 psi rise in tire pressure. Temps vary a lot based on sunlight exposure so I left the warning at 158*

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
When setting the high pressure setpoint, you need to set the low pressure setpoint first and then go back and set the high. When cycling through the parameters, you get the high setpoint first and it does not allow a setpoint higher than the low. Took me a couple tries to figure that out. Now that you have the low setpoints at 47, you can set the high for 60 -62 psi.

So far we have seen at most a 10 psi rise in tire pressure. Temps vary a lot based on sunlight exposure so I left the warning at 158*
Brilliant! Worked like a charm. Thank you.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #71
Site Team

The info liftedastro gave you is in the direction but hard to find. First time I programmed mine it worked fine. Just last week I had the same problem you had and found it buried in the instructions.

Sorry I missed your question.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #72

FYI........My TST requires the valve stems to be metal. My TST system works great. Provides pressure and temp. data of each tire.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #73

You are very welcome, Dagwood. Glad I could help!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #74

Thought I would report back now that I've done a 2300km, 12 night, 4 campground tour of Ontario. The TPMS system worked great, and really allowed me to just focus on driving since I could see the pressure and temps at a glance. I had one tire that seemed low one morning so I put about 3 psi into it but otherwise no loss of PSI at all. The valve stems (Sensor heads) managed to swing down against the rim because of the centrifugal force but did not cause any problems and remained there for the duration of the trip. I will keep an eye on those stems but for now they are doing their job.

On a side note, The PSI would go from 51 up to 58 tops, then on cold mornings drop to about 49PSI. A mile or two on the road and they all came up to 51PSI again before the highway travels and/or sun heated them up and cause the PSI to rise. The temps were fine, I don't think the tires got any hotter than about 88 degrees at any given time. It was kind of fun on a 4 hour drive to see how the tires were behaving.

In Conclusion, Best money I ever spent. Cheers to JOF and the posters for allowing this solution to land in my lap.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #75

Just something to add... I am one of those guys that checks pressures everyday. About 6 years ago we were at the beach in NC, not camping, with the family. About 400 mile drive home. Filled up with gas and checked tire pressures, everything was fine. About 250 miles into trip I realized that the rear end was feeling loose. Adjusted mirrors, saw my tire was really low. Slowed down and tried to get to shoulder, lost the tire and almost lost control of the truck. My only thought is that somewhere along the way I hit a nail or something and had a slow leak.

Checking tires in the morning only is good, but not great. For people with diesel trucks and an 80 gallon tank, they can theoretically drive for a LONG time without stopping. Getting a nail in the tire could prove catastrophic if you don't catch it in time.

20 years ago we didn't have airbags, I think we can all agree they are worth the cost. I would argue that $250 is cheap insurance versus having a blow out, damaging the side of the camper, having to get towed or having roadside assistance come out to change a tire, replacing a tire, etc.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
....20 years ago we didn't have airbags, I think we can all agree they are worth the cost. I would argue that $250 is cheap insurance versus having a blow out, damaging the side of the camper, having to get towed or having roadside assistance come out to change a tire, replacing a tire, etc.
And to think my DW complained when I purchased them. I just told her I wasn't about to risk any of our lives because of a few $$ and that anything that could give me an advance alert was money well spent.