Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Hello Everyone,

Anyone out there have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System installed on their RV? If so, do you like it and is it accurate? Any brand and models you would recommend and also stay clear of? Thanks, Steve
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

try the search function above in the gold bar, "tpms", will show dozens of posts on them.

Also, try adding your make, model and year of rv and tow vehicle or toad for most accurate advice. One tpms might work for a short trailer vs a 30 footer behind a big pickup.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #3

I have one, it is the TST brand. It works fine in regard to the alarm function and saved us a bunch of money when we had a blow out. What I don't understand about these systems is how accurate the PSI pressures are. I have 3 different measuring devices, the TPMS, a tire pressure gauge, and one of those pencil gages. It is very unusual for me to have all 3 show the same pressure. Having said that, I would buy a TPMS just for the alarm function. My blowout happened on the freeway and I was able to pull off with minimal damage to the TT.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #4

Tire Minder TM77.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

I bought mine off Amazon but it is no longer available. Works great and is definitely a piece of mind thing. It is much easier to look at a display rather than have to measure each tire. The alarm function is what pays for itself.

A couple of times per year I will drag out the compressor hose and top off the tires. The pressure goes down when the weather gets cold. I have a digital inflator with a gauge that is suppose to be accurate to 1/2 pound. After topping off all tires I check the display and it usually is within 1 pound of what I pumped in.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:08 AM   #6

I just bought a cheap version on Amazon. It's the Tymate brand. It has very good reviews so I'm anxious to see how well it performs.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:14 AM   #7

I have the TST 507 system and have had it in full time service since 2010 with 8 wheel sensors (non flow through). It originally had the monochrome monitor which had been operating 24/7 on my dash for the past 11 years. A couple of weeks ago it started alarming to high pressure in various tires. Imagine seeing a high pressure of 488 psi and one time it alarmed at 522 psi. I had purchased TST's color monitor a few years ago to compliment the original since the color monitor was easier for my old eyes to see, but the original monitor still operated 24/7. During the periods of high pressure alarms the newer color monitor didn't show a thing, so yesterday the old monitor went the way of the dodo bird when we changed campgrounds.

As far as TST accuracy, I air my tires up to the psi I want and then check to see what the monitor says. If it is off a pound or two I really don't care as long as they are all the same or pretty close to the same. Then each morning when I turn on my monitor (I don't run the color monitor 24/7) if the pressures are still in the same ballpark as the day before I'm good to go. You do have to allow for lower pressure in the am before the tires start to heat up and due to colder temps at night. Yesterday was a good example. I had set the pressures on my RV tires a couple of days before when it was 60 degrees or so at their 110 psi rating. Yesterday morning at 41 degrees they showed 102'ish. After 5 miles or so towing they were back up to 110 and then a bit higher as the ambient temp increased. All perfectly normal.

I absolutely love having this system. It sure removes a lot of concern about having a blow out and not knowing it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #8

Tpms

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking at the TST 507 series. I will post my findings if I buy it and once I put it to the test.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #9

I’m looking at the TST507 also. Kinda wishing Furrion would introduce something that integrates the rear observation monitor and tire pressure monitoring info so there’s only one screen to deal with.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #10

I use the TireMinder Smart Tire Pressure Monitoring System which works well and has saved me damage when I had a tire go down outside of Oklahoma city which allowed me to pull over almost immediately.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #11

I bought the TST 507 w/internal sensors recently. Had Discount Tire break the tires down and do the sensor install. No issues getting them paired to the color monitor. The sensors are within 1psi of my digital inflator, so which one is the correct one?? Dont matter to much to me. I'm not gonna sweat over 1psi. We have a 44' Northpoint and a 3500 crew dually longbed and have good signal from the sensors to the front of the truck cab without the repeater installed. I am going to install the repeater in the front of the trailer per the instructions. Right now it's this thing called time I never have enough of because this other thing called employment keeps getting in the way, not to mention the weather went south for a little while. We got about a month yet before we go anywhere with it, so I got some time.
I got mine from the TST website and used a coupon code and got like 15% off, so that helped swallowing the price a little better.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #12

Here's a link to a current thread about them.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f37/tpms-83817.html
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #13

I have one that came with the camper (2021 Feather 27rl). Not sure of the name but its a POS. Always going off saying they are low when they arent
Old 04-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hello Everyone,

Anyone out there have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System installed on their RV? If so, do you like it and is it accurate? Any brand and models you would recommend and also stay clear of? Thanks, Steve

As an actual Tire Design engineer I strongly support running a TPMS.

RE accuracy.
As far as i know I am the only one that has done an actual direct comparison to two different TPM systems (internal vs external) from two different companies. I posted the numbers of both pressure and temperature accuracy, and published the results.

TPMS are no substitute for having a good Digital hand gauge. TPM are to MONITOR a pressure loss and I also advocate that everyone run a system test at least once a year.

Check the warranty of the system. I prefer systems with long warranty sold by people who know RVs ( not eBay or Amazon) as you need someone that knows the product is you have questions.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I just bought a cheap version on Amazon. It's the Tymate brand. It has very good reviews so I'm anxious to see how well it performs.

Larry

Suggest you run a controlled test annually and not wait till you have a tire failure to learn the TPMS malfunctioned.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #16

Will do. There will be a trust curve.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #17

Very happy with our TST 507.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #18

Tpms

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the information.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #19

Howdy,
Our trailer came with a system that was not installed. I installed in three year old trailer and valve stems. The weight of the sensors caused the valve stems to bend and leak. Ironically, the sensors saved me (got rig shut down from flat and saved the tires) but they also caused the problem. I installed metal valve stems. No problem since then.

Hope this helps.
Lastbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I have one, it is the TST brand. It works fine in regard to the alarm function and saved us a bunch of money when we had a blow out. What I don't understand about these systems is how accurate the PSI pressures are. I have 3 different measuring devices, the TPMS, a tire pressure gauge, and one of those pencil gages. It is very unusual for me to have all 3 show the same pressure. Having said that, I would buy a TPMS just for the alarm function. My blowout happened on the freeway and I was able to pull off with minimal damage to the TT.
I bought an inexpensive one from amazon for the same purpose. I have a 37 foot Jayco Eagle 319MLOK and it works well for me sitting on the dash. I usually check it manually for longer trips, they are accurate within a few pounds. Also nice is that they show the tire temps, so even if your pressures are ok, you can see the tire heating up - kind of fun to watch when sun on one side, you can see the 10 degree difference on the sunny side.

I wanted it for blowout detection, and it serves my purpose. One quirk, maybe common to most, is that it goes into sleep mode (sensors) until the tire starts moving a bit, it takes 2-3 minutes to sync up all the tires once you start moving out - which is why I check before longer trips - but it is WAY cheaper than many of the options out there.

Good luck & welcome to the club!
(link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Joshuaz is offline   Reply With Quote