Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Tire Pressure systems

Wondering what people think about them. Opinions on which ones are real good, also not so good. Peoples experience with them. Wife and I are going to keep our trailer for a long time. Just want to be safe going down the road. Was thinking about some for the trailer and the truck. Later Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #2

I am using the TST system on my TT. http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html
Have about 5000 miles on it one issue. One sensor was bad and they sent me a new one within a week. Great customer service.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #3

I don't have a system except the old "eyeball", but I do use nitrogen in all my tires( cars, tv,& tt) and it seems to do as advertised, pressures do not change due to heat or cold which air will not do
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

Coming from a guy who works behind a tire sales counter most of his life, the systems work exactly as they're desinged to. If a tire goes low (or flat), the system tells you- if all your tires end up at different pressures, the system tells you- If you don't check your tire pressure ever (and your tires will eventually go low), the system will tell you.

All this technology can't replace five minutes and a good tire gauge.

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyreguy View Post

All this technology can't replace five minutes and a good tire gauge.
I would agree that pressure checks need to made before a trip and regular checks and inspection. But I like the real time monitoring of a TPMS system. If I was not tapped out at the present, I would be getting one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

I like them a lot, it is just the price that gets me. I look at it and say...well if I am going to do the 4 TT tires then I might as well also do the 4 TV tires....then I look at the price tag and just cant get myself to do it.

Been thinking about going with those caps that pop out a different color when the pressure gets low. I know they wont help in the event of a rapid deflation while traveling, but look pretty neat.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

We have the PressurePro Tire Monitor System. Works off the valve caps for us all ten tires. Monitors all tires pressure works like a champ. You can go thru the tire pressures one at a time to check. If you loose presure or gain pressure an alarm sounds.

I also use an infered red heat gun for tire temp.

The PressurePro Tire Monitor System was a little pricy but worth the money.
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #8

Thanx everyone, I knew that they would not be cheep, but if you can catch a tire before it blows then maybe the trailer or T.V. will be spared some damage. I spend about two days before we go on a trip to go over the trailer and truck with a fine tooth comb, but things do happen. Just wondering, if a brake hangs up a little bit I wonder if the heat from the brake would show up on the monitor. I guess that I will have to call and talk to people about it. Keep the comments coming. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #9

I saw a monitor that also alerted to temp, but dont remember which one.

My folks had a blowout on their airstream and didnt know it. Tore off the water heater door, a rear jack, and tore up the wheel well. It ended up being enough to do an insurance clam and a drive to the factory for repairs. Has made me really want one.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #10

A surge protector and TPM are on my short list to get real soon. Both can save a lot of money in their respective uses.

My MIL had a stroke 3 months ago and we haven't been camping this year as we have spend 4 days on and 4 days off sitting with her in Jacksonville, Fl at a rehab center but when we get back going I will have them both.
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website https://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #11

[QUOTE=tafische;27378]I saw a monitor that also alerted to temp, but dont remember which one.

TST has both pressure and temp. monitor.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #12

Even with the nitrogen , the tpms system in my car alerted me to a slo leak which I was able to have fixed before it went flat, the are worth the money. Tough to" eyeball" at 60 mph
Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #13

ldlogue. first of all, sorry to here about your MIL. I hope everything works out. Second I already have the surge protector, so the next thing on my list is the tpms. I agree that it is a lot of money, and may not give me enough time to catch a tire that goes bad now, but I should have enough time to get to the side of the road if we get a slow leak. Just trying to be safe while we are on the road. Give your MIL our regards. Ernie
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #14

I have PressurePro that I bought when I had a MH and towed a PU. I have moved them to the TT and since I had so many, I put them on the PU. Apparently, the Dodge PU has an aluminum valve stem and the monitors corrode and you are unable to get them off. Discount Tire had to cut two of them off. Called PP and they had not heard about the problem, so I have no solution. They suggested dielectric grease when you put them on. Otherwise, I have had them for 4 years and love them.
aggie_steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
ldlogue. first of all, sorry to here about your MIL. I hope everything works out. Second I already have the surge protector, so the next thing on my list is the tpms. I agree that it is a lot of money, and may not give me enough time to catch a tire that goes bad now, but I should have enough time to get to the side of the road if we get a slow leak. Just trying to be safe while we are on the road. Give your MIL our regards. Ernie
Thanks Ernie for the kind words. She is doing as well as can be expected. We are settled at home now and trying to get a routine going.

I posted on another forum which would they recommend first a TPM or Surge Suppressor. Almost to the man they said get the surge suppressor first. The thinking was you spend more time parked and plugged in usually and the possibility of a surge was always there with the possibility of damage to expensive elec equip and devices. The TPM was a definite second though as lots of damage can occur from a flat. The consensus was it wasn't much help with a blowout as it happened so fast. .
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website https://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote