Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #1

Tire Pressure With TPMS

Hi All,

I'm new to RVing and have a Class C in which I've installed a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. My front tires call for 75 lbs of air and the back tires call for 80 lbs. I noticed that when traveling the TPMS reads about 10 lbs more on each tire. Is this normal? Should I adjust the pressure down so they only increase to the recommended pressures of 75/80 when traveling? Thanks!
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #2

If you set proper pressure when tires are cold they are going to heat up when driven and PSI will increase, this is normal so no need to adjust anything.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
Hi All, I'm new to RVing and have a Class C in which I've installed a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. My front tires call for 75 lbs of air and the back tires call for 80 lbs. I noticed that when traveling the TPMS reads about 10 lbs more on each tire. Is this normal? Should I adjust the pressure down so they only increase to the recommended pressures of 75/80 when traveling? Thanks!
DO NOT adjust the pressure down from the recommended ones! It's normal for the tire pressure to increase while traveling..........friction, heat, sun direction, etc. Where do you have your TPMS set at for maximum pressure? The manufacturer should have given max & minimum guidelines when setting it up.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #4

They will increase when tire gets warm. Did you weigh your MH when full and ready to go? If not you may want to and see how much each axle weighs. Then go to the manufacturer of the tires and see what they recommend for pressure with the load you have and set them up. Will give you a much better handling on the road. Also will let you know if you are over the weight limit or not of your Motorhome. If over the weight limit you can and will blow a tire for sure.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

X3 fill to recommended max.
My tires will run as much as 15 pounds more driving on a hot day, (80-95)
They will also go up on the sunny side higher than the other. All is normal.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

Keep in mind all TPMS systems have a variance for accuracy. This is important when setting the TPMS pressure. For instance if you set the pressure for a tire at 100 PSI using an accurate stick gauge and then install the TPMS tire sensor the reading on the TPMS may be 105PSI. Set that tires pressure on the TPMS at 105 and not 100. The difference can impact when an over pressure alarm is sounded and setting the pressure to 100 PSI may result in an alarm at 110 rather than 111 (depends on the over pressure settings of the TPMS).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #7

I want to thank each person that replied to my posting. I will leave the pressures at normal and will get my RV weighed. The TPMS is accurate as it read the same as the tire guage when I checked the tires just before putting the TPMS on each tire. Thanks to all.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #8

What I do is set my tire pressures with an accurate tire gauge, then watch for any drastic changes in my TPMS readouts. The TPMS sensors were all reading about 4 pounds lower when compared to 3 different manual gauges.

As others have said, do not lower your pressures anticipating a rise due to temperature increases.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #9

I don’t use my TPMS to tell me the tire pressures, rather to alert me to changes in pressures. I’ve had 2 dramatic tire failures (thank you TowMax) and the TPMS alerted me to both and I was able to get to the shoulder and stopped before any damage to the 5th. When I want to know what the pressure is I use a good manual gauge. As long as I have reasonable accuracy (+/- 5 psi or so) I’m good.
Side story: my 2 tire failures were on the same day within 75 mi of each other. It was a long Sunday afternoon that turned into night before we got home. I bought 4 G’year G614’s. After 4 years they’ve been issue free and show little wear. The G’year Endurance had just emerged and too new for me to jump to, so I spent too much $$ but never regretted it. When I replace the 614’s I plan to give them a go.

Safe travels!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote