Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #1

Tire Questions

Hey all, as relative newcomers, we've been gobbling up information on this site. I've seen a lot of talk about P vs LT tires on the tow vehicle and speed rating for the trailer tires. Looking for advice on both.

We took care not to overmatch our tow vehicle. I've got a 2014 GMC Sierra Double Cab standard box 4x4 with 9600 lb tow capacity. The trailer is a 2017 22FQSW with a dry weight of 4205 and typical tow weight around 5000. I think we're good there.

So...how imporant are the tow vehicle tires in this situation? The truck has P265/65/R18 Goodyear tires on now. Do I really need to switch to LT tires? Second, I've seen that a lot of trailer tires are rated to 65 MPH max. Traveling in Montana tempts one to go a bit faster. My trailer came with the upgraded Goodyear tires on aluminum rims. I can't find anything in my paperwork to tell me what speed is safe. Any help/advice would be appreciated!
smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #2

You will not regret switching to LT tires. I switched my factory P rated to LTs and it's a very significant difference in towing stability.

That being said, unless you need new tires anyways it may not be worth the money to pull your current ones off and fork out the cash for LTs. If you're due for replacement, then I would absolutely switch to an LT. I went with Load Range E which is overkill, but I like having extra tire. You could easily get away with LR D or even C which consists of less plys and subsequently slightly less load capacity. It would still cover your needs, either way.

All trucks should come with LT tires. The manufacturers throw P rated on so they can boast ridiculous fuel economy numbers (P rated tires are slightly lighter) and give a cushy ride.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiletwice View Post
snip...
So...how imporant are the tow vehicle tires in this situation? The truck has P265/65/R18 Goodyear tires on now. Do I really need to switch to LT tires? Second, I've seen that a lot of trailer tires are rated to 65 MPH max. Traveling in Montana tempts one to go a bit faster. My trailer came with the upgraded Goodyear tires on aluminum rims. I can't find anything in my paperwork to tell me what speed is safe. Any help/advice would be appreciated!
LT tires have stiffer sidewalls and a higher load rating. The stiffer sidewalls offer greater sway resistance, higher tire pressures, and cooler running. The downside for some is the harsher ride with the LT tires and you'll have to investigate to see if your existing rims can handle the higher inflation pressures.

Are you having sway issues? If so, tires are 1 part of the issue (your trailer hitch, its setup, and trailer loading are the others).

Generally ST tires have been designed for 65mph max. You should be able to check the Goodyear website to find the speed rating for your specific tires.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiletwice View Post
I've seen that a lot of trailer tires are rated to 65 MPH max. Traveling in Montana tempts one to go a bit faster.
I try to stay at 65mph or under; that's a lot of weight we are pulling behind us and a potential for disaster is there.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

I have a 2013 Chevy Express Van. Have driven vans for 40 years. If you are new to pulling a trailer I recommend moving to the LT tires. While I would never recommend exceeding 65, especially if you are new, the extra stability of the LT's will make a difference. My wife, who has driven the van since we had kids, immediately noticed the difference when we upgraded on our last van. The vehicle is more stable, especially around turns. In Montana, where you are going to experience flat areas with some higher winds, the stability will make your drive more relaxing.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Good advice here. I would only opine that any tow vehicle ought to have load range E tires as a rule. Reason is that temp rise in a tire with too little sidewall stiffness can cause a catastrophic blowout even in brand new and properly inflated tires. Calif Hwy Patrol officers informed that to a friend who had just such a blowout while towing his boat with his Suburban. 5000 lb boat and trailer is all it took.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #7

The OEM tires should be appropriate for the vechicle's capabilities and you seem to be well within the limits so if all works well together I personally would not rush to get rid of good tires but I would look at LT tires when replacement time comes.

The speed rating should be in the small print on the tire, the manufacturer 's site and most tire store internet sites. Keep those trailer tires at proper pressure, covered and inspect them incessantly. I got 5 seasons out of Towmax (generally reviled on the internet) tires. They looked great but I moved to a higher speed rated tire even though I rarely exceed 65 mph.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Which Goodyear tires do you have? The new Endurance tires are rated for 87mph. Most ST tires are rated for 65mph. Even though I have Endurance tires on my fiver I limit my speed to 65mph.

But, unless you have a LOT of experience towing a TT at speed I'd stay below 65mph. The chances for an instability increases with speed. The problem comes on fast and unless you do the right thing quickly you will end up with the trailer on it's side.

For the truck I would get truck tires. As others have noted they are more stable under load.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

A lot of good advice here. I have LT load range E tires on my truck but my TT came with Taskmaster load range C which are rated for 81mph. I generally tow 60-65mph which is very comfortable. When the time comes, I will upgrade the TT tires to load range D or E.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
LT tires have stiffer sidewalls and a higher load rating. The stiffer sidewalls offer greater sway resistance, higher tire pressures, and cooler running. The downside for some is the harsher ride with the LT tires and you'll have to investigate to see if your existing rims can handle the higher inflation pressures.
Where do you see what your rims can handle?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Where do you see what your rims can handle?
For your TV I really don't know. Perhaps a discussion with a tire store or your TV manufacturer would be a good place to start.

For TT, on this site it was stated that many rims have it stamped into them. If not there, find the manufacturer of the TT rims from Jayco and contact the rim manufacturer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #12

Tire Questions the Sequel

OK...lot of good advice. In a really sucky twist of fate, I just found a nail embedded in the sidewall of my factory Goodyear tires on the tow vehicle. They have about 26K miles on them and still in decent condition but unlikely it can be repaired. The reviews seem to suggest the Michelin Defender LTX M/S are the best choice in the 265/65/R18 size I need. Any ayes or nays as I add another thousand bucks to my initial RV investment....sigh.....
smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #13

Smile,

As mentioned, a set of LT's can improve the towing experience.... Since you need new tires due to the unrepairable sidewall puncture, I would suggest a set of LR C's if available.

Overall, it seems Michelins are highly regarded tires. I personally haven't owned a set, but lots of good reviews.

On our '10 Chevy 1500 I put a set of Cooper A/T3's, LR C. Went with a 275/65/18, and never noticed the slightly larger tire affecting any performance loss.

Chances are you can fit the 275/65/18's also, possibly giving you a larger pool to choose your next tire from. The A/T3's I bought were actually cheaper by a fair amount vs the stock size 265/65/18's.

Good luck tire shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #14

I put Coopers on my truck this year. This is my second set of them after the factory Michelins were worn.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

I like Michelins. I used them on my wife's SUV before we sold it, and they wear VERY well. My dad uses them on his truck, and they do great. In the next 6-months or so, I'll need new tires for my truck, and I've already picked the Michelins I'll buy. In my experience, they're great tires with long lives. A bit spendy up front, but I think you'll find you're replacing them less often. I generally buy from Discount Tire, and I ALWAYS buy the warranty.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #16

The tire ratings are far more important than the brand, as long as it's one of the majors. Agree that Michelins are great tires. But if they are passenger car tires, or too light duty to run proper pressure for the application, you're kidding yourself. Pickup truck manufacturers don't automatically install the highest rated tires for the load limits on the TV either. They don't automatically assume the buyer will use the vehicle to its limits like that. It is up to the owner to ensure they are using the right equipment for their application, and that includes tires. A blowout in a TV pulling even a mid-sized RV is a pretty serious matter. It's no simple flat tire as if you're driving your Prius down the boulevard and it starts to shake around a bit as the tire goes flat. Blowouts often cause rollovers and loss of directional control with large rigs such as these.