Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Well said.
X2 here as well.
X3
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #22

I can speak about a few different covers. I've had pretty much all of them over the last 15 years except the custom fit high dollar brands.

Adco, POS.

Expedition, so so.

The latest one I have had is a Classic Accessories Perma pro. The first one I had was 14 months old and had some issues with the front material tearing. The back, roof and sides were ok. Maybe a bad batch of material.

The covers have a limited lifetime warranty. 3 weeks ago I submitted a warranty claim requesting a replacement. Sent a couple of pictures also.

Claim was ok'd and they sent me a new cover free including shipping.

Customer service was excellent and it looks like they stand by there products.

https://classicaccessories.com/rv

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	44446

Name:	LEFT SIDE.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	44447

Name:	RIGHT SIDE.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	44448

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	44449
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #23

We had our JayFlight 195RB coated to provide year-round UV and weather protection where we live in the mountains. Washes easily and looks like new after three years outside. We didn't think we could manage a cover by ourselves, anyway, even on our relatively small TT!
Kate Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #24

I have a 2012 25BHS and it too looks like new. I would cover it for sure. Buy one with straps and vents. Mice can be a problem if you park it in a field. Only down side to covers is that they don’t last too long. Ready to buy my second one now but five years isn’t too bad.
Gwaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #25

Thumbs down Not Me

I live in a windy part of the country and after 3 years my cover wore some holes in the roof where it wraps around to the side. Also they can be rascals to get on, dragging that sucker up on the roof is not fun.

If you get one be sure and check it periodically to be sure it's not worked loose as it will mess up your RV.

I got too old to mess with it anymore. That was the old camper, the North Point gets a shed!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibassplyr View Post
Hello all, I will be taking delivery of a 2019 Jayco 267BHS on Wednesday and I am debating about buying a cover for it when I'm not using it. I plan on taking it off during the camping season but for the winter months, it will be parked on a farm with open fields around it. Do I buy a cover for it? I have heard that covers are bad for it but then I hear people are covering them up. What do you think is recommended and does anyone have any links to an appropriate cover to buy? I plan on keeping this camper for at least 10 years and want to keep it in the best shape possible. Thanks in advance for your replies.
They will do more good then harm.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #27

Cover!

Hello,
I learned and after a few years ago from this same post. Cover as in a soft breathable type is the best way to protect. The fabric keeps the sun and anything that is blowing around in the air away, while protecting it. I live in Northeast Ohio and we get winter ! I have not found a place indoors for any reasonable cost,so I must park outside at a local place. Classic accessories is where I got mine. You do not want to use a Tarp ! traps moisture and can start mildew to form,plus it is really hard to tie down.By a cover that will completely cover your camper, tie it down with straps provided to prevent flapping. We also tilt the camper back and put 2-3 balls underneath on the roof to help the snow fall off and not allow all the potential heavy snow to sit on the roof all winter.
Lastly we use dryer sheets through out and under neath it REALLY keep the mice and critter away.
geostorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #28

We live with a long fairly fierce winter and have to winterize every November. We leave the stabilizers up and park the tires on plywood cut wide enough for the tire and long enough to roll the tire back and forth 180 degrees every couple months.

Our 16XRB is relatively easy to cover. We use a breathable fabric car cover that fits over the roof and partially down the sides of the trailer. Two people install it by hoisting the two lead corners with long poles and then "walking" it back, clearing roof-mounted obstacles, until it covers pretty well. Then we adjust it and snug it down. We cover the gutter down-spouts with short pieces of pipe insulation and tie the cover down with rope and bungees on the sides and front and back and tape a piece of pipe insulation over every plastic hook to avoid chafing the trailer in the wind.

We carefully inspect and repair any entrance ways for rodents and keep no edibles and few cozy cloth items in the camper. We also keep two genuine Snap-E mouse traps baited with crunchy peanut butter in the trailer. Damp Rid bags or buckets take care of the humidity.

The trailer roof has a good dome and sheds water well so we store it level. We remove excess snow - if more than about 12" heavy, 24" lighter - with a snow rake. Ice and freezing rain are greater concerns. Two winters have inflicted no noticeable harm to the trailer inside or out. We check it frequently and and dream of spring.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #29

Got a nice one from Camping World. Did cover because of Michigan winters. TT came out fine. So I guess we cover once its cleaned and dry before covering. Right now hasn't stopped raining. Do we cant do much right now.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
You have to weigh the advantage of having your trailer protected from the sun against the considerable danger of going up on the roof to put the cover on. There’s lots of walking around, pulling on fabric, watching out for the skylights, antenna, air conditioner, etc. One mistake could be life changing or life ending. Is it worth the risk? If you decide to buy a cover, don’t buy an ADCO if you store it outside. They look great at first, then rapidly rip and disintegrate over 2 to 3 years. The warranty doesn’t cover rips-they send you repair tape. After about 2 to 3 years the side, front and back material becomes paper thin and falls apart.
Yes, any time you're on your RV roof you have to exercise care. That's true whether you're cleaning the roof, inspecting the seals, working on the A/C, etc. Don't try to put the cover on if there is anything but a mild wind.

That said we got five seasons out of our ADCO cover. At $250 that's $50 per season which in my opinion is well worth protecting the RV from the damage from sun, dirt, leaves, bird droppings, etc. during the off season. It did no damage to the trailer and I was greeted by a clean trailer ready for a first trip when the next camping season rolled around.

I'm 65 years old and just put the cover on my 32.5' trailer working alone. That said, old or young, be careful when you're on the roof of your RV.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote