Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #1

To Cover Or Not To Cover

Hello all, I will be taking delivery of a 2019 Jayco 267BHS on Wednesday and I am debating about buying a cover for it when I'm not using it. I plan on taking it off during the camping season but for the winter months, it will be parked on a farm with open fields around it. Do I buy a cover for it? I have heard that covers are bad for it but then I hear people are covering them up. What do you think is recommended and does anyone have any links to an appropriate cover to buy? I plan on keeping this camper for at least 10 years and want to keep it in the best shape possible. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Helibassplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

I do not use one. But I have to admit, my tt sits indoors during the winter.

What is your off season weather like?

Wind is your enemy with covers. The covers flap, and cause damage to the TT/MH. Gutters, commonly get damaged when installing or removing. Also the covers get damaged from the gutters.

We have been storing ours off season in a farmers barn for the past 6 years, last year we paid $80 for the winter. It is inside, it is dry, free of ice, out of the sun. He has lots and lots of farm cats, so no mice. My TT, still looks new.

My vote, if you leave it at home and outside, no cover, leave the stabilizers up, tilt the tongue, high or low to help encourage snow melt to run off. Last thing would be to cover all your caulking with Eternabond.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #3

I have covered mine for the last five seasons and suffer no damage as a result of it being covered. On the contrary I believe the cover has preserved the finished to the point that I've been asked if the trailer is new when I've gone camping even after five years of usage.

If you strap the cover down to minimize flapping in the wind and added some cushioning in areas where the cover might come in contact with sharp ends there should be no damage to the RV and minimal wear on the cover. Beyond that I really like cleaning my trailer at the end of the season, covering it and finding a clean and ready to use trailer in the Spring. In my opinion a trailer is much more like to sustain damage left exposed to the elements versus properly covering it with a good cover.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post630244
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and that was a good informative link. Gave me some things to think about in case I decide to cover.
Helibassplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I have covered mine for the last five seasons and suffer no damage as a result of it being covered. On the contrary I believe the cover has preserved the finished to the point that I've been asked if the trailer is new when I've gone camping even after five years of usage.

If you strap the cover down to minimize flapping in the wind and added some cushioning in areas where the cover might come in contact with sharp ends there should be no damage to the RV and minimal wear on the cover. Beyond that I really like cleaning my trailer at the end of the season, covering it and finding a clean and ready to use trailer in the Spring. In my opinion a trailer is much more like to sustain damage left exposed to the elements versus properly covering it with a good cover.
Well said.
X2 here as well.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #7

DON"T buy one of these:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ney-34186.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

I keep mine covered, parked on pavement away from trees. The cover has zippers at each corner which allow me to go inside to check it periodically.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #9

Does anyone have an opinion on the "Empire" RV covers I see advertised.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibassplyr View Post
Hello all, I will be taking delivery of a 2019 Jayco 267BHS on Wednesday and I am debating about buying a cover for it when I'm not using it. I plan on taking it off during the camping season but for the winter months, it will be parked on a farm with open fields around it. Do I buy a cover for it? I have heard that covers are bad for it but then I hear people are covering them up. What do you think is recommended and does anyone have any links to an appropriate cover to buy? I plan on keeping this camper for at least 10 years and want to keep it in the best shape possible. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I cover my pop up just to protect it from the Colorado sun. If you’re going to store it on a farm or grassy field, generously sprinkle mothball flakes on the ground then pull the camper over that area. It’ll keep the field mice and rodents out of your camper.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 AM   #11

Good advice here
Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I do not use one. But I have to admit, my tt sits indoors during the winter.

What is your off season weather like?

Wind is your enemy with covers. The covers flap, and cause damage to the TT/MH. Gutters, commonly get damaged when installing or removing. Also the covers get damaged from the gutters.

We have been storing ours off season in a farmers barn for the past 6 years, last year we paid $80 for the winter. It is inside, it is dry, free of ice, out of the sun. He has lots and lots of farm cats, so no mice. My TT, still looks new.

My vote, if you leave it at home and outside, no cover, leave the stabilizers up, tilt the tongue, high or low to help encourage snow melt to run off. Last thing would be to cover all your caulking with Eternabond.
Curious, why stabilizers up?

Thanks
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #13

following. we have a 2018 38fdds.

cover or no cover?
Hangar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
MontanaRick:
When the TT or 5er rest on its tires and if the loose air, the stabilizers can't handle the load.
Mine I jack up with 10 ton scissor jacks and then it is OK to have the stabilizes down.
But be sure the support for the scissor jacks is adequate.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
MontanaRick:
When the TT or 5er rest on its tires and if the loose air, the stabilizers can't handle the load.
Mine I jack up with 10 ton scissor jacks and then it is OK to have the stabilizes down.
But be sure the support for the scissor jacks is adequate.
Thanks, wouldn't have thought of that. It also suggests that, when I have it parked in tthe driveway during camping season I should probably check air pressure regularly when we're not getting out camping for a few weeks. I keep the stabilizers down because we are often working in the trailer, and it's much more pleasant with stabilizers down.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #16

I just bought a Camco Ultra Shield cover for my 2013 Jay Feather 242. I will try to install it soon after a clean up.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #17

Mainly, don’t buy an ADCO

You have to weigh the advantage of having your trailer protected from the sun against the considerable danger of going up on the roof to put the cover on. There’s lots of walking around, pulling on fabric, watching out for the skylights, antenna, air conditioner, etc. One mistake could be life changing or life ending. Is it worth the risk? If you decide to buy a cover, don’t buy an ADCO if you store it outside. They look great at first, then rapidly rip and disintegrate over 2 to 3 years. The warranty doesn’t cover rips-they send you repair tape. After about 2 to 3 years the side, front and back material becomes paper thin and falls apart.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #18

Guess I will send my son up on the roof!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #19

Instead of buying a cover I will put up an open cover porch.
nowill1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #20

I store my trailer in central Texas, outside, from April through October every year. The four tires lose about 10 pounds each, so from 65 to 55 pounds. The trailer sits directly on the ground, and no flat spots have developed in the radial tires during the last 4 years. The stabilizers are never down and the tires are covered, and still look new.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote