Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #1

To Cover Or Not To Cover

Hello all, I will be taking delivery of a 2019 Jayco 267BHS on Wednesday and I am debating about buying a cover for it when I'm not using it. I plan on taking it off during the camping season but for the winter months, it will be parked on a farm with open fields around it. Do I buy a cover for it? I have heard that covers are bad for it but then I hear people are covering them up. What do you think is recommended and does anyone have any links to an appropriate cover to buy? I plan on keeping this camper for at least 10 years and want to keep it in the best shape possible. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Helibassplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

I do not use one. But I have to admit, my tt sits indoors during the winter.

What is your off season weather like?

Wind is your enemy with covers. The covers flap, and cause damage to the TT/MH. Gutters, commonly get damaged when installing or removing. Also the covers get damaged from the gutters.

We have been storing ours off season in a farmers barn for the past 6 years, last year we paid $80 for the winter. It is inside, it is dry, free of ice, out of the sun. He has lots and lots of farm cats, so no mice. My TT, still looks new.

My vote, if you leave it at home and outside, no cover, leave the stabilizers up, tilt the tongue, high or low to help encourage snow melt to run off. Last thing would be to cover all your caulking with Eternabond.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #3

I have covered mine for the last five seasons and suffer no damage as a result of it being covered. On the contrary I believe the cover has preserved the finished to the point that I've been asked if the trailer is new when I've gone camping even after five years of usage.

If you strap the cover down to minimize flapping in the wind and added some cushioning in areas where the cover might come in contact with sharp ends there should be no damage to the RV and minimal wear on the cover. Beyond that I really like cleaning my trailer at the end of the season, covering it and finding a clean and ready to use trailer in the Spring. In my opinion a trailer is much more like to sustain damage left exposed to the elements versus properly covering it with a good cover.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post630244
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and that was a good informative link. Gave me some things to think about in case I decide to cover.
Helibassplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I have covered mine for the last five seasons and suffer no damage as a result of it being covered. On the contrary I believe the cover has preserved the finished to the point that I've been asked if the trailer is new when I've gone camping even after five years of usage.

If you strap the cover down to minimize flapping in the wind and added some cushioning in areas where the cover might come in contact with sharp ends there should be no damage to the RV and minimal wear on the cover. Beyond that I really like cleaning my trailer at the end of the season, covering it and finding a clean and ready to use trailer in the Spring. In my opinion a trailer is much more like to sustain damage left exposed to the elements versus properly covering it with a good cover.
Well said.
X2 here as well.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Surge Guard 34830
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators
Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter
2012 26BH (Traded)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #7

DON"T buy one of these:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ney-34186.html

Murff
Reese Steadi Flex WDH

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

I keep mine covered, parked on pavement away from trees. The cover has zippers at each corner which allow me to go inside to check it periodically.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #9

Does anyone have an opinion on the "Empire" RV covers I see advertised.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibassplyr View Post
Hello all, I will be taking delivery of a 2019 Jayco 267BHS on Wednesday and I am debating about buying a cover for it when I'm not using it. I plan on taking it off during the camping season but for the winter months, it will be parked on a farm with open fields around it. Do I buy a cover for it? I have heard that covers are bad for it but then I hear people are covering them up. What do you think is recommended and does anyone have any links to an appropriate cover to buy? I plan on keeping this camper for at least 10 years and want to keep it in the best shape possible. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I cover my pop up just to protect it from the Colorado sun. If you’re going to store it on a farm or grassy field, generously sprinkle mothball flakes on the ground then pull the camper over that area. It’ll keep the field mice and rodents out of your camper.