Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
Looking to upgrade from our 212qb to something a bit bigger. Most of the units we are looking at have slides. Almost all of them have more than one.
There are lots of threads here about problems with slides.

Bottom line, are the benefits worth the hassle?
We as well have the 212 QB and for what we do it's perfect! Our RV lifestyle, we are in our late seventies, is to travel to a destination and use the trailer as a base. 90% of the time we are out and about the countryside exploring. In 2020 we did close to 12,000 miles over a period of 4 months exploring national parks and historic sites west of the Mississippi. Having a unit that tows easily and sets up quickly is ideal for us. If we were to plan on spending a significant amount of time in one local then we'd probably opt for a larger expandable unit. Bottom line, to each his or her own!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #22

We have had a Jayco 23 RBM with a long slide for 3.5 years now. Our previous Jayco did not have one. We start camping early in the year and don't stop even when camper is winterized. The having a slide negative we have seen is from the slide floor, ceiling, and walls letting the outside cold in much easier than the solid sided camper. We still like the roominess the slide provides.
johnfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #23
L&G

We had read so many posts about slide problems that we decided to do without. As others have said, it depends on what kind of camping you are doing. Most important question - how many are going to be inside the camper? If more than two, I can't imagine not having a slide. Are you the type that mostly sit outside? Though our trailer (26bh) does not have a slide, we made some changes to make it more comfortable for us - just two of us. We took out the bunks and made that room our pantry/storage area. It is awesome. We also took out the horrible jack knife sofa and added an extra countertop/open storage along the wall. We sit outside as much as we can but if we have to sit inside, we sit at the dinette or on the bed with one of those big pillows.

Another thing to consider in regards to slides is how handy you are. Will you be maintaining it as carefully as some of the campers here do? Will you be able to fix small issues? I think if you aren't handy, a simple RV has the least headaches.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy whatever you decide on.
L&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bee View Post
Different slide types have different issues and some are a lot more prone to problems. Do a search on youtube and watch some videos. The slide mechanism in our Jflight SLX is the most basic and also the least likely to have issues. Also simple to do manually IF it does malfunction.
I agree with research, but watch date of said data. I think cable slides of a few years ago would have worried me. Mostly Pully brackets poorly mounted to the wall. Mostly, I think that's a thing of the past.

That said, I think the most reliable slide mechanism is the one often referred to as rack and pinion.

Just one guy's opinion. 😁
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:56 PM   #25

We basically did what you are thinking about 2 years ago. DW wasn't quite as happy with the 195RD, and suggested getting a little bigger tt with a slide. She developed a dislike for the bed being across the front & access from only one side. (The 195 was the precursor to your 212qb). When she saw what became our present 248RB, that was it, sold on the spot. The slideout dinette makes a BIG difference in the size of the kitchen, and the trailer is still functional with the slide closed. Still enough room to use the kitchen and bath, as we have done many times when traveling. Its a nice size tt, 7500 lb gross, small enough to drag just about anywhere, yet just big enough to be comfy. It sure made her the Happy Wife! I've had zero issues with the slide, but if anything happens to it it can be operated manually with a ratchet & 5/8" socket. Only thing I'd recomend would be a slide topper if you do get one. They keep the leaves, water & dirt off the top of the slide, & away from the seals. They really are a good investment, & are worry free. Good luck with your search!
57gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine has 3. Perfect fp for us. We have had rigs with none, 1 and 2.

I cringe when I see a rig with 4 or more slides.

If I ever purchased another rig, I would do extensive research on the type slide out mechanism.
Why do you cringe when you see rigs without four or more slides?
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #27

Had 3 motorhomes without slides and was not that hot to have one. But the last Jayco Seneca had 3 but it was a Super C and what I wanted. Now that I have them would not go back. Just had 7 family in members here yesterday and plenty of room. I do worry about problems.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
This is one of those choices that really needs to match your camping style. We drop the trailer and spend 90% of our time outdoors. We also tend to travel quite a bit with one night stops fairly common. For us, a non-slide unit is perfect and is actually what I intended to buy when looking for this unit in '17. If we keep using it the same way we are now, I would make the same choice.

With that said, we have been actively trying to get a seasonal spot at our favorite campground (not having much luck). If we do, I will purchase something with slides to give us more room and keep our current non-slide unit for our road trips.
Sounds like us. We travel quite a bit and stay at one-night camps for the most part. Our little unit it perfect for that. It's light, big enough, and on occasion camp grounds have given us room in the tent area of a filled RV park. Friends with a 5W stay for a week or two at a favorite spot. They call our trailer "cozy". : )

I agree that slides, along with other major features of an RV, needs to match the RV lifestyle.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #29

Slides

It all depends on your experience with slides and how you use your Rv. We spend little time in our rig so not having a slide is no big deal. If we were in the rig a lot during non-sleeping hours then a slide might be worth the risk of potential problems.
darlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #30

Slide !

We bought our first RV quickly, no slide. We regretted it, traded it i, and now have one.

The old one was nice, but tight inside. The extra room inside with just ONE slide out is just so nice ! A huge difference

Go to the showroom/RV lot, and have them open up a few. See for yourself.
saunterr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Why do you cringe when you see rigs without four or more slides?
The law of averages. More slides = more to maintain/ repair.

If you go with slides, be sure and look at the interior with the slides in as well as out. One must have for our lifestyle was access to the bathroom and dinette and fridge to facilitate rest stops. Most rear living fp's with opposing slides do not allow access to the living area when closed.

Ours fit the bill!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #32

I've had slide problems, however for me, the slides make our 4 month outing much more comfortable and enjoyable than the aggravation of the slides not functioning properly.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #33

Smile

My first toyhauler didn't have a slide....my next toyhauler had a slide....I liked the extra room the slide provided that I decided I would never own an RV that didn't have a slide. I really wanted a Lazydaze motorhome....I just loved the quality from that manufacturer....I found out they didn't even offer a slide model. As nice as they were....I couldn't get a rig without a slide. I ended up with a Jayco Greyhawk Prestige. One big slide basically the whole length of the rig....called a super slide. It just makes the RV experience so much more comfortable to have that extra space. I agree with previous poster to get the model that you like best....don't let possible slide problems sway you from your favorite RV model.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #34
C&R

Jajayco
Our first trailer was a 21QB, the full Jayflight version of the 212QB. We loved it until the poor weather kept us inside. When this occurred, the wife and I would get a little claustrophobic, especially watching tv. We traded for a 29RKS and haven’t looked back. The extra room of the slide with the hideaway is great when our daughter wants to tag along.

Happy camping!
Old 11-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #35

Nope, no slides for me, just one more thing to break. Last outing, the guy in my campsite was stuck, could not get his slide to close.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:23 PM   #36

Make a lot more room. I will have to admit I am nervous every time I extend/retract
Old 11-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #37

Some Basic Thoughts On Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
Looking to upgrade from our 212qb to something a bit bigger. Most of the units we are looking at have slides. Almost all of them have more than one.
There are lots of threads here about problems with slides.

Bottom line, are the benefits worth the hassle?
I've had four RVs and I love the space to afford. But they do have their problems and here are some basic things I've learned about choosing slides that are reliable...

1. Avoid really long slides with heavy appliances, unless they feature a heavyduty hydraulic actuation system.
2. If the RV features Schwintek aluminum gear racks which are very common, make sure the slides are small slides like those popularly used in rear bedrooms containing just the bed or cabinets.
3. If slides are moderate to large in size with things like couches and dining tables, make sure the slide features gear racks made of steel material.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #38

I can remember when slides first came out. Our first trailer that had two slides was a Springdale cheap trailer. It spoiled us. Just do the maintenance and you will be good.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote