Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #1

Toilet chemical drop-ins

When we bought our used trailer, it had a container of those convenient toilet chemical pouches that you simply toss in and the bag dissolves releasing the chemicals. I was going to put 5 gallons of water in the black tank to slosh around while we travel and thought it would be a good idea to treat the slosh water with the toilet chemicals. So being the curious type, I filled a bucket and threw in one of the squishy chemical pouches and I waited. And I waited and waited and waited. After about an hour, the dissolvable bag was still pretty much intact and hadn't released any chemical. I had to rip it open because I didn't want to wait any longer!

Conclusion: I'll just rip the bag open using rubber gloves and use them until they are gone, then swich over to the liquid stuff I used in my porta pottie days.

Any of you folks have some entertaining chemical stories?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

Wow! I always use the bag chemicals as well. I thought they would just dissolve quickly. Thanks for the experiment. I guess I'll change to the liguid type form now on as well.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

I dropped a packet in my toilet for the first time last weekend and was surprised how fast and "violently" it started to dissolve.
DerekMellott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #4

Our friends use a type that is like a small puck. We use a liquid one. I think it is Boss brand

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #5

If they are old and slightly dried out, they will not dissolve very fast. Fresh new ones dissolve quickly. I put some water in my toilet and add the pouch. It usually on;ly takes a minuet to dissolve. then I flush, and run a little more water in there.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #6

I use the GEO Method. Cup of cheap Laundry Detergent with nice scent, Cup of liquid Calgon and plenty of water. I like full hook up sites so always keep my black tank 3/4 full of water with the mixture added. When it is full I dump and run the built in sprayer to flush the tank, then empty the grey tank. This is our 3rd summer using our RV and no odor and the sensors still work and are accurate.
When traveling to another campground, I dump add at least a half tank of water, detergent, Calgon and ice. The mixture sloshes around and cleans the tank and sensors while en-route.
Before we purchased our RV, we rented an RV and the dealership gave us the puck like cakes to throw in the tank. We had an odor for the first 3 days so I switched to the Geo Method and problem was solved. I have also heard of people using Finish Powerball Tabs for automatic dishwashers. Just throw one in your toilet and flush. They are cheaper then some of those RV chemicals.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #7

I use the disolving bag chemicals too, and my dissolve in less than a minute
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #8

I looked up the geo method and looks like a good idea . I think we have not been doing enough water and cleaner although we have not had any problems yet we will start using some of this method as well.
Thanks
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #9

I am going to use the GEO method also on my next trip.... thanks for the info about this method.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote