Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Tolls I90

I'll be traveling i90 from kennewick, WA to Pembroke , MA in a few weeks and was wondering what to expect for tolls along that route
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #2

Assuming you're bringing the TT, you're looking at about $75 for NY and MA. Sorry, can't speak for the other states along the way. I live one town over from Pembroke, and IMHO the best way to get here from I90 is I495S to 44E to 3N. Most GPS will take you to 95S, but you pick that up in the middle of Boston, which can be a nightmare to get through.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #3

We have towed from Buffalo NY to Syracuse NY for $12. It seems the more populated areas farther east are more expensive for toll rates.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Team

You might want to explore the possibility of taking I-80 east from Cleveland, OH, to I-81 north in PA, to I-380 in Scranton, PA, to I-84 east returning onto I-90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) near Sturbridge, MA.

The route is toll-free to the PA/NY state line.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #5

IL and IN have tolls on that Interstate. With the trailer my off hand guess is about $40 - $50 for both states.

Don't know if you have enough time to get one, but you might consider an I-Pass. It'll work in IL and IN, as well as most places out east that use the EZ-Pass. And you can breeze right through without stopping at every toll both. In IL you get half off all tolls using the I-Pass. I'm not sure if that applies to other states.

Its $50, a $10 deposit (refundable) and $40 to start your account. The disadvantage is that when you use up each $40 increment, it'll load another $40 from your credit card. When you are done with the tolls, you might be out a few bucks.

Even if you lose a few bucks, the time saved and hassles pulling back into traffic might be worth it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
In IL you get half off all tolls using the I-Pass.
DocBrown, this is only true for cars that are not towing. Anyone towing a 1-2 axle trailer pays the same rate as a medium truck for the time of day you are traveling. (See Vehicle Categories.) I tow on the tollway all the time but my wallet hates it when I do. It's still better than taking local roads with a million stop lights.

Here is the list of the Rates by Toll Plaza for the IL Tollway. There is also a trip calculator that might help you. Just remember to choose medium truck as your vehicle.

You do not need a special transponder for towing but you should include the license plates for the truck and trailer on your account. (see Step 3: Drive the Tollway and Can I use my regular I-PASS when I tow a trailer or drive an RV?)

And yes, I-Pass will work on all EZ Pass systems, but when towing you might need a special "blue" EZ Pass transponder. (See Where can I use my I-Pass?) On I-Pass you can go through any lane with a trailer without stopping. However on the EZ Pass system it varies by toll authority. This is what I found in my research on this subject about a year ago.

You don't need a special transponder and can go through any EZ Pass Lane
•Burlington County Bridge Commission
•Chicago Skyway
•Delaware Department of Transportation
•Delaware River and Bay Authority
•Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
•Delaware River Port Authority
•Illinois State Toll Highway Authority
•Indiana Toll Road Concession Company
•Maine Turnpike Authority
•Massachusetts Department of Transportation
•Maryland Transportation Authority
•New Hampshire Department of Transportation
•New Jersey Turnpike Authority
•North Carolina Turnpike Authority
•Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
•Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
•Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority
•South Jersey Transportation Authority
•Triborough Bridge & Tunnel Authority

You need a special transponder
•Recommended in many states if you tow all the time, but that is geared for residents, not us
•Virginia Department of Transportation

You need to go to the manual lane and they will count your axles and charge your EZ Pass account accordingly
•Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority
•New York State Bridge Authority
•New York State Thruway Authority

No information available on website (probably should call)
•Ohio Turnpike Commission
•West Virginia Turnpike

If it was me, I would just get the EZ Pass. And no, I don't work for the Tollway. This is probably more than you needed to know but no one ever suffered from too much knowledge. Hope this helps!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

There are toll calculators that you can use to estimate your trip. 80 is good, but 84 has some steep climbs and descends after the Hudson entering CT with very few easy on off access for stops. route 90 you could stop in Niagra Falls or the Finger lakes region too.

Here is a link for the NYS Thruway system and it's only a few dollars cheaper for EZ Pass towing vs cash unless you have a 5'er. Mass has one too. Just plug in your axles and distance to calculate.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/calc/trip.cgi

The blue tags are required to get the 5'er discounts. Yes the cash lines can be long on certain days like weekends or Friday nights around Albany.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

I'll probably choose I80 instead to avid the tolls as I'll be towing my TT and my wife will be following in her vechile towing a uhaul moving trailer.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettech View Post
I'll probably choose I80 instead to avid the tolls as I'll be towing my TT and my wife will be following in her vechile towing a uhaul moving trailer.
FYI: there is still 1 toll on I-80 in IL. In IN and OH I-80 and I-90 are both the turnpike with tolls.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Oops. The information is incorrect in my previous posting. The toll-free portion of I-80 begins after you leave the Ohio Turnpike at exit 218 which is near Youngstown, OH.

Sorry about that!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
IL and IN have tolls on that Interstate. With the trailer my off hand guess is about $40 - $50 for both states.

Don't know if you have enough time to get one, but you might consider an I-Pass. It'll work in IL and IN, as well as most places out east that use the EZ-Pass. And you can breeze right through without stopping at every toll both. In IL you get half off all tolls using the I-Pass. I'm not sure if that applies to other states.

Its $50, a $10 deposit (refundable) and $40 to start your account. The disadvantage is that when you use up each $40 increment, it'll load another $40 from your credit card. When you are done with the tolls, you might be out a few bucks.

Even if you lose a few bucks, the time saved and hassles pulling back into traffic might be worth it.

No discount with a trailer in il. It counts you the same as a med commercial. Ie a dump or concrete truck

I avoid tolls at all costs. Lol
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #12

If you want to take I-94 I go around Chicago by taking I-90/I-94 to Rockford, paying one toll, to I-39 then to I-80 and pay one toll near the Illinois/Indiana state line. I can't remember how much each toll is. I've taken USH 30 from I-65 then to Ft. Wayne, IN then into Ohio. USH 30 is four lanes all the way to Ft. Wayne with stop lights but 65 mph limit between towns.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
If you want to take I-94 I go around Chicago by taking I-90/I-94 to Rockford, paying one toll, to I-39 then to I-80 and pay one toll near the Illinois/Indiana state line. I can't remember how much each toll is. I've taken USH 30 from I-65 then to Ft. Wayne, IN then into Ohio. USH 30 is four lanes all the way to Ft. Wayne with stop lights but 65 mph limit between towns.
That is an option but taking I-39 south to I-80 adds 52 miles to the trip. Given gas prices this might almost be a wash. Here are your options as I see it from Beloit, WI to Portage, IN.

I-90 all the way
136 miles
IL Tollway Tolls = $11.85
Chicago Skyway Tolls = $16.80
Total Tolls = $28.65

I-90 to I-94 to I-90 (Avoiding Skyway)
141 miles
Total Tolls = $11.85

I-90 to I-294 to I-90 IN Toll Road
141 $miles
Total Tolls = $18.60

I-90 to I-39 to I-80 to I-90 IN Toll Road
188 miles
Total Tolls = $4.55

Option 1 is the shortest distance, option 2 is the cheapest, and option 4 has the least traffic. If you travel through Chicago overnight you will have reduced tolls and traffic. If it were me I would choose option 2 as it is the cheapest rate and only 5 extra miles.

Be aware that I-90 between Rockford, IL and I-294 in Chicago is under construction as they widen it from 2 to 3 lanes. When I went through there 2 weeks ago there were two lanes open for all but about 2-3 miles. I traveled at 55mph (the speed limit) with little problem but there cops all over the place so watch your speed.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #14

all i can say is being from NY its pretty expensive...at least $12 and MA isnt so bad but maybe $8

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #15

Scott your post was very helpfull and agree i'll probably go with option 2
Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettech View Post
Scott your post was very helpfull and agree i'll probably go with option 2
Glad I could help!

Just be aware not to get off the freeway between downtown and I-80 as the neighborhoods are really bad. In fact, I would not get off anywhere in Chicago as the roads are not RV friendly. They also closed the O'Hare Oasis so no fuel or potty stops there. You will pay a small fortune to get on and off the tollway so I would recommend filling up at the Belvidere Oasis and driving straight through to Indiana. Make sure you go though the diesel lanes to park in truck parking, as the car area is not friendly to any trailer over 20 feet (tight turns).

Hope your trip goes well.