Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

tongue jack out to far

Fellow trailer owners, need your advise. So I’ve got a 2014 jayco 23mbh ... gross weight I will say to be on the safe side 6000 lbs.. so I’m pretty sure my rv is what they call Baja style as it stand higher than other rvs. In any case my problem is that when I’m parking the trailer at a camp site, in order to level the trailer from back to front I feel like I’m having to extend the tongue hitch to far. The problem is when I first unhitch the Jack gives me maybe six to eight inches of clearance to put something under it . I’ve considered setting up the trailer extending the leveling jacks and then raising the tongue jack while the leveling jacks support he weight and put something taller under the tongue jack and then lowering the jack down in order for it not to be so extended. I haven’t done this as I’m gravely concerned the jams will not hold the wealthy. Can any rv owner who’s had to maybe deal with something similar have any advise ?? I’ve attached a pic to as an example as how far I have to extend the tongue jack in the picture I’ve placed a total of four of the orange blocks and still had extend the Jack further than I’m feeling comfortable ..
Attached Thumbnails
FF804802-FA54-4FD6-8CE9-F62CF8C0C1C7.jpg  
Acano82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #2

You need to get the tape measure out and take some measurements on the amount you typically NEED to lift. Then compare those numbers to the actual safe lift height capacity of the jack. I agree that extending the jack to far is a safety concern. You have several options or solutions, these include replacement or “ground lift” aka blocks.

It’s hard to tell if your jack has a drop leg, basically a DL telescopes through a sleeve on the leg. If yours doesn’t have the drop leg that may be an option to give you more range of lift. The simplest way lift higher without REPLACING or extended the jack out is to carry blocks. I bought a 4x6x8’ and cut it into 8” blocks. This gives me the option of 4”,6”,8”, 10” or 12” of “ground lift” by using a block or combination of them, so I don’t need to extend the jack so much.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #3

You could put an extended foot on on but it could still be wobbly.
Also flat steel foots can slip on those plastic blocks.....mine has and it can be scarry.Same with plastic blocks under the levelers.

Maybe a custom made wood block with wide print made out of 2x4's or 2x 6's would work. Then the jack is not so extended.

I want to place rubber pads on my foot and levelers to prevent slipping.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Tongue weight might be between 500 to 900 lbs. Just make a solid wood-block with a small border around it. (optional rubber on top)
Chock your wheels and the stabilizer jacks properly.
Even if it left the drive-tread, there's enough tubing left for stability.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #5

My 154BH Baja Edition suffered from the same issue, so I decided to go with the Andersen Trailer Jack Block with a large landing pad used by 5th wheel trailers that mounts to my stock trailer jack foot, instead of the wheel that came stock - the pin holes line up perfectly. This setup solved my instability issue as it's very stable. Here's a link to the block itself from one retailer. The landing pad foot is readily available and fits inside the top, held on by magnets inside the Andersen Jack Block. (https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...IaAqLKEALw_wcB)
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote