Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Too Cover or Not

Hi, Looking for advice, I would like to cover my Jayco 17z. The weather up here in the northeast near the water is tuff. My question is, would you and what brand fits this best and would you all recommend. Thank you
jennso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

im on the fence about whether I should cover or not. I'm interested to see what others say about it.
mhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #3

well covering it with the right type of cover that breathes would be great to keep it from seeing the effects of the weather but for me I guess it is all about how much it costs for the cover and how hard it is to put it on each time you put it away, I would probably fall through one of my sunroofs trying to back across the roof to put it on, I heard about a guy who did that
Old 03-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Maybe it makes sense for the winter once our season ends, heck we cover our boats all winter here and they sit out all summa long
Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
Site Team

This "Do you cover your RV?" poll and discussion may be helpful:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-15377.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #6

I live in Florida, and the summer sun can be brutal; I'm more concerned about faiding, so I keep a quality cover on mine.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #7

Are these covers waterproof? I see the Adco cover says water resistant. If I cover it I would like to protect from unexpected leaks in my end bunks. You never know with all the snow and ice.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #8

I have the ADCO on my TT, it is not waterproof but it breathes and dries quickly. I have used mine for 3 years now and it definitely helps keeps it a lot cleaner. I also put a cover on the AC unit before the cover goes on.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:14 AM   #9

Just wondering to I have to worry about chafing the finish? I think ill order it, spring is coming and the junk coming off the trees is heavy, not to mention all the birds.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #10

Metal carport. Its more expensive but MUCH easier to use. Keeping them covered and keeping water OFF the surface is the cheapest and easiest way to keep it looking clean, keep leaks from forming and keep leaks from doing long term damage.

Lets say I have a roof seam that falls... the vent in the bathroom. If the trailer is uncovered, every time it rains water is finding its way into the ceiling and will eventually become noticeable after it has rotted its way through and left surfaces with mold. If the trailer is covered, it will take a very long time for enough water to infiltrate and cause damage.

A lot of our trips are close weekend trips. If the weather looks bad we just don't go. We do a couple of longer trips where we just cannot reasonably dodge the rain. If you keep your RV covered and/or out of the rain 50 weeks a year it will last a very long time.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennso View Post
Just wondering to I have to worry about chafing the finish? I think ill order it, spring is coming and the junk coming off the trees is heavy, not to mention all the birds.
No problem with chafing on my TT, mine sits close to a tree and the cover does a great job protecting it. Now that being said, I also make sure that it is washed before I cover it. I also bought covers for the tires too to protect from uv Rays. The cover also protects the decals from fading too. The way I look at things is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound in cure
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennso View Post
No chafing issues with the ADCO cover, just make sure the trailer is clean before putting the cover on
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote