Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2022, 10:25 PM   #1

Tool box / repair kits

I did a little research on here but not what I’m looking for.

Going on a three month trip and want to be prepared. TV and Trailer are maintained and ready to go.

My question is what do you carry beside toolbox, portable air compressor, air gauge, and repair tape entrabond? for punctured roof etc.

I know the list could get long but as we all know space is a commodity.

Thanks in advance
Sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:32 PM   #2

Tool box / repair kits

I’m sure a few people know how to link the threads with all the lists. I’ll see if I can figure it out.

Here’s the first one:

https://www.rvchecklist.info/
Old 01-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #3

That would be awesome.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #4

Sandybar, what do you have for a camper? I expect most people would bring different things for a PU, TT, or a Class C.

Where you are going would also affect what I would pack. If I was going to drive to Alaska, I would toss in some bearing grease and a spare set of bearings, otherwise, I would not pack any different than normal.

Generically speaking, I carry very little. I have not been out for 3 months, but we have gone for 3 weeks at a time, typically we have a few destination points were we would stay for a few days maybe up to 5 days before moving on.

My tool box is tiny, but very packed. I carry a multimeter, spare fuses, a little bit of wire and a few wire connectors, along with a few spare light bulbs. As for tools, I have a 7 in 1 screw driver, a #2 square drive screw driver, a tiny hammer, wire cutter, small pliers, a small adjustable pipe wrench, and small adjustable wrench. A couple garden hose gaskets. That is about it in the tool box, along with a few screws. I figure I can buy what I need at any hardware store along the way.

It has been a long time since I have had any major issues. With this HTT, I have only ever needed a new tail light bulb and some fuses.

My worse situation over the years, was a broken equalizer, (the suspension part between the two axles, which in turn dropped the TT height which caused us to drag the rear of the TT, pulling into a BLM campground, which tore out the sewer. Bought all the repairs a parts in town, while finding a shop to replace the equalizer. FYI, I have tore out two sewer systems in the past on TTs. We have been very lucky with our current and very low to the ground HTT. I have never used 90+% of what I have ever brought with. I have never had to buy a tool or normal pipe fitting (sewer parts, yes).

Have a fun trip, wish I could go for 3 months, maybe next year

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:01 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Jayco 27DSRL

And I am going to Alaska from the NW
Old 01-12-2022, 11:21 PM   #6
Site Team

I can't list all the stuff we carry, or even remember, but a tire plug kit, lug wrench for the TT wheels, and some version of a jack for it. That'll take care of the errant nail or screw in the tread.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:21 AM   #7

Tool box / repair kits

Alaska, my favorite state! Been there about 350 times, but never drove up….

I would agree, a tire plug kit, extra set of bearing, maybe even an extra spare tire. A can for some extra fuel, gas stations can be a good distance between them.
I was sure 3/4 of a tank could get me from Tok south to the next station. My blinking fuel light was on and the gauge was showing only 5 miles to empty before some pumps showed up.
Good news is the roads get better every year. Oh, and it even can snow on some of the passes in the summer, prepare for everything, and hope you get sun everyday.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:27 AM   #8

Longer trips I will take my 4 ton floor jack and at least 1 5 gallon gas can. Figure on what repair I can do vs what will require outside assistance. Tend to take more than I need. Most recent repair I needed to was a leaky water line to the bathroom sink. I put in a larger countertop without testing the lines before the trip, so it was not a total surprise. Had to run to the hardware store for some parts. They loaned my a tool I didn’t have and I returned it when done. Saved me about $30.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:20 AM   #9

I can tell you what i started to carry after a friend experienced a flat on his rig out in the middle of no where. A tandem trailer tire changing ramp (link below). Bottle Jacks and or Scissor Jacks are a PITA and time consuming. The tire changing ramps are a breeze and iMO, anyone with a tandem trailer should carry one.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Manu...s%2C146&sr=8-8
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:34 AM   #10

Thanks for your suggestions. Started making a list

Thanks
Old 01-13-2022, 08:35 AM   #11

I just put my toolbox on a diet after trying to haul it in the house for a general cleanup +.

OK - you need to consider a DVM, a spare main breaker, some fuses and light bulbs and a few feet of wire - 12-14 gauge should woor for almost any repairs. I do like my 12T jack since it will do virtually any possible lift though overkill for either the truck or 5er. Then a tow chain or strap. I also have a couple really heavy duty 3" wide ratchet straps.

The list goes on and on and is really what is acomfort feel for you.

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I just put my toolbox on a diet after trying to haul it in the house for a general cleanup +.

I think it’s time to put mine on a diet, sure gained a lot of weight over two years…
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #13

Miscellaneous brass fittings, crimp pliers, rings, cutter, WH pressure relief valve, extra heating element, complete toilet rebuild kit, both A/C capacitors and extra switches, teflon tape, electrical tape, wire connectors, misc. 12V fuses, water faucet cone seals, tire plug kit, electric volt/ohmeters, roof sealant, etc. I am sure I left out a bunch.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #14

Tool box / repair kits

Here are a couple more items that just came to me.

I have a lightweight aluminum snow shovel that breaks down, for snow, sand and dirt in case I get stuck.
Extra water filter, extra oil filter and fuel filter for the truck. Extra couple Def fluid if you have a diesel.
5 gallon fresh water tank (empty) if I can’t use the hose to refill. Gallon distilled water for batteries.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #15

Oh, I thought the tool box list was for the rv. The truck, I have many parts in case of breakdown, a shop could do the repair and not have to try to get parts from tge dealer. Things that have been known to fail on my truck.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:40 PM   #16

All of the following are based on actual experience:

Most states require flares and warning triangles for trailers stopped along the road. Make sure your jack for fixing a flat will actually fit under the frame. Some axles don't want you to lift the trailer by jacking the axle.

Check the spare to make sure you can easily remove it from where it is stored.

Make sure you have a breaker bar to loosen and tighten the lug nuts.

Have spare fuses for all the fuses in your vehicle and rv.

Make sure you have at least one extension for your hose and power cable.

A can of 3 in 1 oil.

Screw drivers that fit every type of screw inside or out on your RV. Check all screws for proper tightness before you leave home.

A volt meter and an outlet tester with an adapter that fits into the main power pedestal that your RV uses.

Spare batteries for all battery operated devices. Chargers for rechargeables.

A small tube of grease to grease the hitch ball.

Make sure your brake pads are in good shape and that your bearings have been recently lubed.

Check for major scheduled maintenance for your tow vehicle.

If you have young kids pick up a game of Rubberneckers instead of having them glued to their electronics.

Insure propane tanks are full.

Check all exterior lights to insure they work properly.

Make sure your GPS is up to date. Have state maps for back ups and alternate routes should your main route be blocked. Most states will mail current maps to you from the state government. It can take several weeks to receive them. Or stop at state Information rest areas as you enter new states.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #17

I carry a set of combination wrenches in both Metric and Imperial, 3/4 drive screw driver, charger for that and a bit set. Duct tape, pipe tape, fuses, multi meter, screws.
glues, spare water heart thermocouple.

I guess it may depend if you're a bit remote, or traveling from town to town where things are available.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:06 PM   #18

To alaska, how about an extra bottle of windshield fluid, no freeze type.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:10 AM   #19

I won't leave the house without my tablet loaded with forscan lite and a bafx bluetooth dongle. The parts store scanners can't read my 7.3 power stroke. Learned that lesson the hardway when I had to leave my rig in co for 3 weeks. The locals don't seem to be in any kind of a hurry.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #20

Man this is all great info. My list is getting longer now thanks for all your recommendations! What an awesome group!