Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #1

Top Bunk Removal?

While my 184BS is getting its spring makeover at the shop my wife and I have decided to remove the top bunk bed.
First and foremost, it is quite claustrophobic being on/in the bottom bunk.
Second, I think it will help us to travel lighter by not using the top bunk to store and carry along more stuff we never use anyway.

The grands end up sleeping with grandma in the queen bed and I would use the bottom bunk bed if it didn’t feel like I was in a coffin.😂 The dinette bed has an extra mattress which is very comfortable, but the Mrs. likes to sit at the table and have her coffee in the morning. She can’t do that if I’m sleeping there!

So, long story long, how hard/how much ugly is left if you remove the top bunk bed? OK, I have my bucket of popcorn so let it rip, potato chip!
Thanks,
frank d.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #2

Don’t have a trailer with bunk beds, but I would think that would be a pretty easy task. Should just be put in with screws.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Don’t have a trailer with bunk beds, but I would think that would be a pretty easy task. Should just be put in with screws.
From your mouth to the trailer gods ears!!!
Bahahaha😂
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:10 AM   #4

So, where will you sleep when the grands are camping with you and the Mrs?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
So, where will you sleep when the grands are camping with you and the Mrs?
The idea is to use the bottom bunk, which right now is not an option. The dinette is comfortable but i am a little too tall for there.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #6

I'm pretty sure that there are lots of others with the same idea. In addition to this forum, Google and YouTube are your friends.....
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
I'm pretty sure that there are lots of others with the same idea. In addition to this forum, Google and YouTube are your friends.....
Yes, and thats exactly who I am hoping to hear from. And thank you for informing me about these Google and Youtube things. I’ve never heard of that before…😂😹😂
Old 04-22-2022, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSaysRelax View Post
Yes, and thats exactly who I am hoping to hear from. And thank you for informing me about these Google and Youtube things. I’ve never heard of that before…😂😹😂
Google and YouTube.. what will they think of next.

Not a lot of narrative, but some nice pictures in this post..
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...val-93746.html. You might try reaching out to Liam via PM,looks like he's still active.

This post may also provide some insight..
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lar-87545.html

Let us know how you make out. And remember, if there's no pictures it didn't happen.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
Google and YouTube.. what will they think of next.

Not a lot of narrative, but some nice pictures in this post..
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...val-93746.html. You might try reaching out to Liam via PM,looks like he's still active.

This post may also provide some insight..
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lar-87545.html

Let us know how you make out. And remember, if there's no pictures it didn't happen.
Thanks, just by seeing the removed bunks it doesn’t look like much needs to be rectified after the removal. Just the attachment line where the wood strip line was holding up the wood frame. OK, that seems doable for my limited skill set!

In that bigger rig, ithe finished product looks like a drum riser! Perfect for a small practice set of electronic drums!! Yeah, my wife would just love that!!!😭🙀🎶
Old 04-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
You must have been living under a rock, then!
Old 04-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
You must have been living under a rock, then!
I don't know about Frankie, but anyone up here in my area has satellite internet with some sort of data cap. Youtube and streaming would be fun, but it's not happening up here yet.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #12

I love my grandkids and I want them to have fun when they go camping with us. But in our trailer, Grandpa is sleeping with Grandma
Old 04-22-2022, 06:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
I love my grandkids and I want them to have fun when they go camping with us. But in our trailer, Grandpa is sleeping with Grandma
No kidding. Little kids usually are joyed with sleeping on the bunk beds. And if the kids don't come along one time, you have lost a lot of storage space.

When MY kids were small, we put them in a tent. They loved it better than the RV. And then Grandpa and Grandma had privacy (know what I mean,.....LOL)
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #14

Boy oh boy, this thread took a left turn somewhere…

And now back to our previously scheduled programming.
Remember when the TV stations used to say that?

Anyway, as soon as the TT gets back from its spring service I will take a look at the attachment points of the bed frame to see about dismantling the top bunk.
frankie d.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:35 PM   #15

The story goes something like this. We get back from a camping trip that was more or less a horror story and the husband says I am done camping. Never again. So I sell the pop up camper and decided to get a 20 travel trailer sleeps 3. Bring it home. Husband says now this is camping. I told him get a tent. So after a year I sell the beloved travel trailer for a 21 foot bunk model. Great adventure in camping out west. Get home. My mother passes away and so ends a lot of camping my mother and I were to do with this travel trailer. Now I want my sleeps 3 trailer back. O was that a sweet jayco. Sadly now I am looking at this bunk model and thinking what to do with all this space wasted since everyone has pretty much moved on and the daughter is not into camping as much. So I am turning the bunks into storage when I travel. This summer? I am heading to Maine for 3 months. Seasonal site and a seasonal job. OK guess what. The family is coming out to visit me in July. Going to be fun on where to put the stuff I am stowing. So I guess under the trailer it goes. I too was thinking of removing the top bunk as well. Sad to think just when you can sneak away for the summer they find you. Sad.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #16

I took out the top bunk. You are correct, it is all screws. The hardest part was wrangling the plywood deck and frame out of the bunk area to get it out of the door. I saved all the trims and used them to cover exposed edges. You’ll need a helper or two.
Keith
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Keithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #17

I’m still waiting for my trailer. A two week turnaround promise is now becoming six weeks and counting. I feel like they are holding my TT hostage. Just for a laugh I asked for a quote to remove the top bunk-The cost is $720 they said. The equivalent of four hours service charge. I said never mind, I will do it myself.

FYI-the shop said along with being screwed into the walls, the wood mattress frame is also epoxied. So the wall coverings may become severely damaged upon removal.

The hits just keep on coming!
Old 05-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #18

My little 184BS Kokopelli trailer is being picked up this Friday. From Souderton, Pa. we are heading straight down to Cape May, NJ for our first shake down run of the season right from the RV service center.

They had to silicone a couple of roof areas, install the missing screws around a window that was leaking, replace the city water fitting and feed line along with a broken hot water heater(under warranty!)de-winterize the water system and complete a Pennsylvania State inspection service for me(tires, brake pads, wheel/axle bearings, lug nuts, all exterior lighting(I live in NJ but had this done just for peace of mind beginning the new season)

I can’t wait to get back out there with my little trailer! Happy RV’ing campers!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:11 AM   #19

Quote:
I’m still waiting for my trailer. A two week turnaround promise is now becoming six weeks and counting. I feel like they are holding my TT hostage. Just for a laugh I asked for a quote to remove the top bunk-The cost is $720 they said. The equivalent of four hours service charge. I said never mind, I will do it myself.

FYI-the shop said along with being screwed into the walls, the wood mattress frame is also epoxied. So the wall coverings may become severely damaged upon removal.

The hits just keep on coming!
hi, i plan on removing part of my top bunk and leaving the back for a storage shelf. i found a great you tube video of someone doing exactly that. it didnt look that complicated, screws and a couple cuts. she left a 2 in ledge around the edgesso it covered the screw hols and kept edges from being damaged. she placed a 1by on edge and stained the shelf and ledge. looked great. good luck
gypsywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsywanderer View Post
hi, i plan on removing part of my top bunk and leaving the back for a storage shelf. i found a great you tube video of someone doing exactly that. it didnt look that complicated, screws and a couple cuts. she left a 2 in ledge around the edgesso it covered the screw hols and kept edges from being damaged. she placed a 1by on edge and stained the shelf and ledge. looked great. good luck
Thank you for the heads up, but on further inspection and verification from the RV techs at the dealer, this bunk is not only screwed but epoxied to the walls and will rip the wallpaper to shreds upon removal. And so it stays put! Thank you though.
frank d.