Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #21

For the SAFETY of all involved, install the BEST mirrors you can find- You could save your own life and/or equipment

Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #22

Thanks

I just bought a Fit System Universal clip on tow mirror set from Amazon. Good reviews. Hoping it does the job. Thanks for the helpful info.

tpennington70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #23

I've run both ways. Up until a couple years ago, I didn't use them. Our camper was short enough I could look for shadows in my oe mirrors. Now that I have a set of mirrors that mount to my oe mirrors and a 31' camper, they go on in the spring and don't come off until fall, since that's mostly what the truck does in the summer (tow the camper)
My sister and BIL just upgraded campers and now are pulling a 29L with their 03 Durango. It has the sport mirrors and he has tried the one size fits all add on mirror with no success. He's still looking for shadows when he goes to pass, because he hasn't found a mirror that will work on the truck.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #24

I towed a similar setup with a Titan, and it was terrible. I tried some clip ons, and ended up taking them back. I bought some stock tow mirrors, and put them on in 40 minutes. Best $250 I ever spent on that truck.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #25

Mirrors are a necessity. I have been told, but have never verified, there is a federal law that states you must be able to see down the full length of the trailer. I could not image anymore not using auxiliary mirrors. I use AEARO 2 by JR products, easy to put on, and very stable. No vibration, I have hem setup to reach out as far as physically possible so I can see the bumper on the HTT. They are absolutely great.

JR Products :: Catalog

Here is a website about various tow laws for each state. No mention of mirrors thou.

Towing World Official Website
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Many states have legal requirements for mirrors, they vary from state to state. Here is AAA's summary of mirror requirements.
Trailer Mirrors | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Just returned from a trip that covered several of the states mentioned on this link [Ala, Ga, Fla, Miss, Tn]. None of the regs mandate special tow mirrors, just mirrors that give you a clear view 200' of road down a line parallel to the side of your trailer. Check it out and standard mirrors on the most popular tv's [full sized trucks] have perfectly adequate and legal mirrors per this requirement. If you are towing with a compact truck or mid sized SUV add on mirrors might be necessary.

When towing, you don't drive with your mirrors, just a glance or two after signaling your intention to change lanes or turn. You just need to insure you are clear in what is typically called your blind spot. Proper adjustment of your stock mirrors make this very easy and safe.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #27

I tried towing with the Stock mirrors on my Tacoma and I was essentially blind. I did try the strap on type but they were brutal, too much vibration to make them useful. So I got lucky and got in on a group buy via another site and purchased these. These are in the normal position but when towing they flip up which allows me to see down the sides of the Trailer.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #28
Site Team

Amazon.com: CIPA 11650, Deluxe Door Mount Towing Mirror: Automotive

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
I tried towing with the Stock mirrors on my Tacoma and I was essentially blind. I did try the strap on type but they were brutal, too much vibration to make them useful. So I got lucky and got in on a group buy via another site and purchased these. These are in the normal position but when towing they flip up which allows me to see down the sides of the Trailer.
What a great design! Do you know if they would make these for a 1st gen Toy Sequoia? Better yet, can you share the web site of the company that makes your towing mirrors? Thanks! Those JR mirrors Jagiven mentioned look interesting too. I'll have to read up on those some more.
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #30

After doing a trip without extended mirrors, I put them on for the return trip and thought the bit of extra sightline they provided was helpful. After some research, I just got the ones at Advance Auto that rachet onto existing mirrors (about $30 each....there was a cheaper one that didn't rachet) and thought they were pretty stable. I put one on the driver's side first and then decided I did want the one for the other side.

Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote