Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
A few years ago my family was camping near Muskegon (my family, my sister's family, and 2 of my cousin's family). I came back from the beach for lunch with my then 2-year old and then put him down for a nap while everybody else stayed at the beach. At that time an older couple with a 5th wheel came in and pulled into the site across from my cousin (sho was next to my site). I hear a loud crash and come running out to see the guy backing in to his site without assistance even though his wife is sitting next to him in the truck. He had backed into my cousins car and ran the camper bumper from her front tire to her rear bumper. Literally picked the car up and moved it almost 2 feet. The driver never even felt it and didn't see it because he didn't have extended mirrors and his wife was tired and didn't want to help back him in.

That cost him a lot in insurance that trip and he was so embarrassed he checked out the following morning and went somewhere else to camp.
Doesn't sound like mirrors would have helped this guy.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Not so much for a "soft" tire. I know better than to think you can tell the pressure of a tire from looking at it; if you can tell it's low, it's WAY low.

I was thinking more that I wouldn't be able to feel a tire blow, and am afraid that the narrow view I get down the side of my trailer wouldn't be adequate enough to see the rubber flapping. I've just never had it happen before, so I don't know if I'd be able to see it. I guess since I can see my sidewalls bulging out, I should be able to see rubber flapping, but again, I just don't know, and hope I never find out.
Look at tire minder tire pressure monitoring system. This will be my solution for this problem. I heard that a blow out can be very costly from damaging the TT. With this you get tire pressure and temp. You'll know you have an issue before that issue becomes costly...
http://www.minderresearch.com/tiremi...ter-tmg400c-6/
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:01 AM   #43

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
A few years ago my family was camping near Muskegon (my family, my sister's family, and 2 of my cousin's family). I came back from the beach for lunch with my then 2-year old and then put him down for a nap while everybody else stayed at the beach. At that time an older couple with a 5th wheel came in and pulled into the site across from my cousin (sho was next to my site). I hear a loud crash and come running out to see the guy backing in to his site without assistance even though his wife is sitting next to him in the truck. He had backed into my cousins car and ran the camper bumper from her front tire to her rear bumper. Literally picked the car up and moved it almost 2 feet. The driver never even felt it and didn't see it because he didn't have extended mirrors and his wife was tired and didn't want to help back him in.

That cost him a lot in insurance that trip and he was so embarrassed he checked out the following morning and went somewhere else to camp.

Ground guides would have helped. Tow mirrors might but ground guides yes
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #44

I would also look at the Fit system mirrors on Amazon I also had CIPA Mirrors in the past I liked the Fit better they looked so good I wold leave them on all summer. I also liked them for backing into the camp site to see obstacles .
Old 03-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
Look at tire minder tire pressure monitoring system. This will be my solution for this problem. I heard that a blow out can be very costly from damaging the TT. With this you get tire pressure and temp. You'll know you have an issue before that issue becomes costly...
TireMinder TPMS with 6 sensors and a signal booster (TMG400C-6) - Minder Research Inc.
My truck has TPMS and I was thinking about getting a set up for the camper. I've only experienced a flat tire on the trailer once and that was a blowout. Rolling along at 60mph and "bam", shredded. I guess my question is how does TPMS on a trailer give you warning for a blowout? I don't think the tire was loosing pressure, I think the sidewall just let go and it was done. The factory tow mirrors on the truck let me know about the blowout quickly because I really didn't feel much when it happened.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
My truck has TPMS and I was thinking about getting a set up for the camper. I've only experienced a flat tire on the trailer once and that was a blowout. Rolling along at 60mph and "bam", shredded. I guess my question is how does TPMS on a trailer give you warning for a blowout? I don't think the tire was loosing pressure, I think the sidewall just let go and it was done. The factory tow mirrors on the truck let me know about the blowout quickly because I really didn't feel much when it happened.
That system will audible alarm with high temp and pressure loss. If you had a blow out, I am sure the temps were pretty high before failure. Also, if no warning before blow out, I would know instantly when it happened, if temps and pressure were not indicating anything.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:03 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
TireMinder TPMS with 6 sensors and a signal booster (TMG400C-6) - Minder Research Inc.
It's on my short list. Might be a good birthday gift to myself this year.

I watch them pretty close though. We stop about every 2 hrs or so when we're out on the road. I check them with my infrared thermometer when we stop and am very anal about checking the pressures constantly. A TPMS would just give me that little added bit of confidence.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #48

JR Mirrors

After following this feed I'm returning the strap on mirrors for the JR clip ons. Thanks for the help. My first tow with new rig is this Friday.
tpennington70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post

ProEFX Towing Mirrors

He will know if the have mirrors for your TV. You can also look online for them I suppose but the particular model for the Tacoma's only appear to be available via TacomaWorld.com
Thanks Dagwood! I found the mirrors online too, from several different web sites, but it looks like they only have the 2nd generation Tundra & Sequoia. We'll go with strap on mirrors I suppose from Cipa that are on Amazon for a good price of $27.86 each.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote