Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCOCRBO View Post
Hi, Buying a 3/4 ton doesn't mean you'll get a better towing vehicle. The motor, trans and gears are the same in a 1/2 ton unless it is factory ordered with lower gears and bigger (if you can get it) motor. The 3/4 ton will carry a heavier payload in the box but if your towing a TT then you'll probably have an equalizer hitch to level the load on the hitch so a 1/2 ton should do it.
I’m not aware of ANY 3/4 ton truck that uses the same engine and transmission as the 1/2 ton version. Furthermore I’m not aware of any instance for which an equalizer hitch makes up for a shortage of payload. Last thing I’m unaware of is any 3/4 ton that doesn’t tow better than a 1/2 ton truck.

To the OP, you might want to disregard most of this post. Not trying to throw flames, just trying to help the original poster.
Psdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #22

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
I would say we need more info. to give you better advice on what to buy. It's funny that most guys with an F250 or larger truck will say you need a 3/4 ton to pull anything bigger than a popup camper. Not true. I think you need to take into account what else you'll be using the truck for, how much and how far you will tow, how long your camper is and if you plan to get another trailer down the road and if that'll be bigger/heavier.

It looks like your truck's max tow capacity is only 7,500 lbs so I hope the 7,102 lbs weight of your trailer is fully loaded! Even then with some passengers you may be over your tow capacity. I think you'd notice a huge improvement towing with today's 1/2 ton trucks with heavy-duty tow packages. If a new truck can tow 11k lbs and has a 1,800 lb payload then I think your trailer would tow fine as long as it's not past 28' long. Some say not to go past 26' long or 6,500 dry, but I think that's being a little too conservative. My F150 pulls my 28' Whitehawk just fine. I towed from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach (500 miles each way) this summer and the truck handled the camper just fine. I do plan to upgrade to E rated tires when my current ones wear out and install the Roadmaster active suspension to help with stability in the 1% of the time when you get a wind gust or something and you really feel the camper back there. I'm not sure if you'll ever eliminate that though.

Like I said, take everything into account and weigh the Pros & Cons of each truck. Also take into account future plans before making a decision on a new truck. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #23

A few trailers, trucks and $$$ ago, I went from an 07 Tundra towing my 28’ bunk house TT to a ‘14 Chevy 3/4 gas. The towing experience was much improved with the 3/4 ton. Much more stable and way more comfortable at highway speeds. Heavier truck and beefier suspension is what did it.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psdx View Post
I’m not aware of ANY 3/4 ton truck that uses the same engine and transmission as the 1/2 ton version. Furthermore I’m not aware of any instance for which an equalizer hitch makes up for a shortage of payload. Last thing I’m unaware of is any 3/4 ton that doesn’t tow better than a 1/2 ton truck.

To the OP, you might want to disregard most of this post. Not trying to throw flames, just trying to help the original poster.
I will add that I towed for years with my 2015 F150 3.5L EcoBoost, with never a problem. I just traded it for a 2019 F250 PowerStroke because I bought a heavier trailer, the dry weight went from 7050# to over 9000#. The 150 actually towed the heavier trailer, but I wouldn't have wanted to tow it far or up any hills or mountains. The 3.5 Ecoboost is a great 1/2 ton towing truck, but everything has it's limits.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psdx View Post

X2
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #26

The answer also depends on where you live and were you camp. Nice level states need less power and braking ability.

Nearly Every trip I take involves at least one mountain pass and steep downhills. I upgraded to a Chevy 3/4 ton with a diesel.