Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Backup Camera

My 2014 F150 STX did not come with an OEM backup camera, I did some research on aftermarket cameras and opted to purchase one from Camera Source. The camera is identical to the one installed by Ford, the inside display is in the rear view mirror supplied by Camera Source. It took about four hours to install, the installation instructions were clear and concise, the installation went smoothly. For those who do not currently have a backup camera on their TV, I highly recommend that you research a camera from Camera Source.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

I'm looking for a relatively cheap one to help me when hooking up to the trailer by myself. (always) I'm going to mount the camera on my bumper.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

I would have been content purchasing a wireless camera and monitor, that would have served it's purpose by placing the camera on the bumper until the trailer was hooked up, then remove the camera from the bumper. I never did find anything that I deemed as reliable, that is why I purchased the camera I have now.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

I bought a camera and 4" monitor off ebay. The camera in the kind that mounts to the top of the license plate. I would have preferred a higher mounted unit but this one does what it is supposed to do. I hitch up alone on the 1sdt try every time!

This little piece of technology has saved my marriage, LOL.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #5

"Saved my marriage", I've heard that before regarding backup cameras! I'll be hooking up tomorrow morning, cannot wait to give it a try for the first time!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

My 2014 Ford Expy came witha back-up camera and let me tell you it has made a world of difference in backing and hooking up.

Even the DW is impressed with my driving skills!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I bought a camera and 4" monitor off ebay. The camera in the kind that mounts to the top of the license plate. I would have preferred a higher mounted unit but this one does what it is supposed to do. I hitch up alone on the 1sdt try every time!

This little piece of technology has saved my marriage, LOL.
those are the type I was looking at. Is it wireless? I want to just plug the monitor into the cig. lighter and put it away when I'm done. Dont need another thing to find a place for. Are you happy? How much?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #8

Mine is wired. I have it hooked up to a switch on the dash so I just turn it on when I need it. 44 bucks.
This is the one I bought. Car Rear View Kit 5" LCD HD Monitor License Plate Backup Camera IR Night Vision | eBay

I am very happy with it. The video cable came with a single conductor power wire combined. All I had to do was run one wire from the cab to the rear license plate. I picked up a ground at the rear hitch. Both the camera and monitor are switched by the same switch.

I guess it is a 5" monitor, not a 4.

My Suburban has a similar setup but with a 7" monitor, which is too big imo.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Mine is wired. I have it hooked up to a switch on the dash so I just turn it on when I need it. 44 bucks.
This is the one I bought. Car Rear View Kit 5" LCD HD Monitor License Plate Backup Camera IR Night Vision | eBay

I am very happy with it. The video cable came with a single conductor power wire combined. All I had to do was run one wire from the cab to the rear license plate. I picked up a ground at the rear hitch. Both the camera and monitor are switched by the same switch.

I guess it is a 5" monitor, not a 4.

My Suburban has a similar setup but with a 7" monitor, which is too big imo.
Great. Thanks. I'll get the same one. I'm thinking the wireless might not be all that good an idea.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng45ine View Post
"Saved my marriage", I've heard that before regarding backup cameras! I'll be hooking up tomorrow morning, cannot wait to give it a try for the first time!
Ha... no kidding! I remember my mom and dad arguing over what hand signal meant what when they were loading up the camper. My dad finally taught me HIS method and things went smoother, but not great.

I love having the backup camera and being able to hook up to the trailer by myself. Saves time when we are loading up to leave the campground. My bride can be inside putting stuff away and I can be outside hooking up, draining tanks, putting gear away.

My previous and current truck have built in back up cams. My FIL bought the iBall camera and uses that with no problems. Its a little more expensive than other models at around $130ish, but it works fine and is easy to use. Even the license plate mount cameras work fine from what I have seen, and some of them are under $100.

Trust me, they are worth it!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #11

My 2012 Honda Pilot has a back up camera. It is terrific for backing up to connect to the trailer. It can be a little challenging to see in some light conditions like sunrise or sunset. I found that adding a strip of white reflective tape to the front of the trailer hitch makes it easier to see.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #12

The issue with the wife helping me hook up is that she does not seem to understand that I am not strong enough to pick up the tongue on a 7500 lbs trailer and move it over a couple inches so it will line up with the ball. Seems a simple concept to me but she seems to not get it.

It is pretty funny, everyone says the same thing about not understanding hand signals and the arguments that follow.

Levelling is another issue all together and I do that myself as well.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I found that adding a strip of white reflective tape to the front of the trailer hitch makes it easier to see.
Good idea. Or even a little white paint. What gets me is that little bit of roll you get from the park pin play. My e-brake sticks and I dont like using it