Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

Tow vehicle registration

Some time ago, I posted about my electing to get a Class A (non-commercial) driver license here in Texas. At the time of road test, the agent alerted me to a discrepancy in my tow vehicle registration. Evidently, Travis County tax office defaults my truck to a GVWR of 8100 lbs. My door pillar clearly reads GVWR of 14,000 lbs. So I will update my registration and pay the extra. Now, I can already hear some decenters on this forum who will say, "Why change it?" and "you will never be checked." It's true. I PROBABLY will never be checked. BUT, let's say I get into an accident that is not my fault. Is it possible that an insurance company will refuse coverage because my truck is illegal. I will pay the extra $50. and breath well.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Some time ago, I posted about my electing to get a Class A (non-commercial) driver license here in Texas. At the time of road test, the agent alerted me to a discrepancy in my tow vehicle registration. Evidently, Travis County tax office defaults my truck to a GVWR of 8100 lbs. My door pillar clearly reads GVWR of 14,000 lbs. So I will update my registration and pay the extra. Now, I can already hear some decenters on this forum who will say, "Why change it?" and "you will never be checked." It's true. I PROBABLY will never be checked. BUT, let's say I get into an accident that is not my fault. Is it possible that an insurance company will refuse coverage because my truck is illegal. I will pay the extra $50. and breath well.
Not sure about Texas, but some states use the lower number since you're non-commercial. That may be the reason why the DMV did it. Also your insurance is based on the VIN# not your registration so they already know the GVW.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #3

Your truck is not "illegal". The inspector was being way over technical. Probably a Texas DPS commercial inspector earlier in life. Your insurance company already knows, as was posted above.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

I worry about the "other" insurance company.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaywood5785 View Post
Your truck is not "illegal". The inspector was being way over technical. Probably a Texas DPS commercial inspector earlier in life. Your insurance company already knows, as was posted above.
Actually the road test must be done in vehicle or combo that meets or exceeds the 26001 GVWR . I never had to show my registration just insurance & the tester looked at all the weight stickers & did the math. Then my tester wasn't a Trooper but a regular clerk that did all the paper, written tests, & driving test. There was.a time when all driving tests were by Troopers but don't know when that ended.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:48 AM   #6

Springhook, I applaud your honesty. There are fewer and fewer in this world today that are willing to point out an error when they know the outcome is not to their advantage. Just like when a cashier gives too much change.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote