Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Towel dry after wash?

Recently took delivery of a 2016 Eagle HT 29.5FBDS and have had it out on a couple weekend trips. Bought a cover but want to wash the trailer before I cover it.

I'm curious to know how, or if, you dry your trailer after a wash?

Living in Southern California, a lot of the trailer will pretty much be dry by the time I finish washing all of it. We have hard water so a bit concerned about water spots which can be very damaging on automobile paint but not so sure about on the trailer.

Can I get away with washing with an all-in-one wash/wax solution, rinsing, and letting air dry? Or should I dry with a towel or chamois?

Thanks!
towm8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Team

I think it depends on the quality of the rinse water. I used to have a water filter that would not leave water spots but have not been able to find refills lately. Now I just wrap a towel around a squeegee on a extension pole and wipe it down with that. It seems to do ok

You can purchase reverse osmosis filters but they are pretty expensive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

I'm not sure about your RV but the current one we have and the previous one a 40' diesel pusher are full body painted. I prefer to treat the motorhome paint just as I do with my cars including waxing, and my method is to wash 1/3 to 1/2 of a sidewall at a time and then dry the hard water away with a towel.
We are in Phoenix and it's even drier and hotter, and the water is probably harder.

P.S. If you don't have pre-2011 (without the DuraBrite finish) Alcoa aluminum wheels be very thankful. I spent four hours this week cleaning and polishing them for the year.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #4

I wash AND dry my aluminum sided trailer in sections as stated above. I am meticulous about my vehicles and their maintenance so I may be in the minority.

I also found that if I use a Camco water filter like the one in the link below, attached to my garden hose when rinsing, it helps eliminate water spots.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wat...ingMethod=p13n

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

I plumbed my outside hose bibs to switch between hard and soft water. I only use soft water to wash my cars and trailer. The only thing to keep in mind is the flow rate your water softener is sized for, if the flowrate is to high will not fully soften the water.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote