Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2021, 11:27 PM   #1

Towing a 2016 white hawk 28DSBH

Hello Jayco People!

I'm considering upgrading my current travel trailer (2016 sportsmen, 27ft, ~5000 lbs dry) to a Jayco white hawk 28DSBH. The Jayco has all the features I'm looking for but @6100lbs I'm not sure if it's too much for my current truck (2008 Nissan Titan with Big tow, ~9400 lbs towing capacity). We boondock a lot so I usually have a full load of water in the camper and a few hundred lbs in the back of the truck.
With the current trailer the Titan mostly does ok bit definitely feel it back there and steep grades I need to slow down.
I will likely be upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck when the Titan dies but don't want the trailer to force the upgrade.
Too much trailer?? Anybody have a similar setup and can comment on how it tows?

Thanks in advance!
BD2008T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:57 AM   #2

That 6100# is the published dry weight. It's a mythical and meaningless number. The trailer, with installed options, weighs more than that leaving the factory. The As Shipped weight is on a sticker on the side of the trailer, and inside one of the cabinet doors. Even that is not the weight you will be towing. Loaded you'll be closer to the rated GVWR of 7500#.

The big factor here is your payload. If loaded it weights 7000#, you have a potential tongue weight of 910#. Add 100# to that for your WDH. If your payload is 1600#, subtract 1010# leave 590# for anything you carry in the truck, your dog, your wife, kids, etc. 590# sounds like a lot but it goes fast.

So you'll probably be OK, but you'll be close to your payload.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #3

You can see in my signature that we have a 2017 30 footer White Hawk. Been pulling it and the previous Hornet, which was heavier, with an '05 Big Tow and have never thought I would have an issue, and haven't.

I do my own maintenance on the truck and have an annual check list of to-do's no matter what the trailer weight is. Only use synthetic dif changed every two years front and rear, power steering, trans fluid with a drain and fill each spring. Only use Dot4 brake fluid, flushed every two years. and so on. Caring for your truck is probably more important than what you are towing.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #4

Thanks Doc and muckinfuss! Anything I should know about buying a used Jayco? Do they have common problems or just look for the typical trailer stuff (slide seals, appliances work, no leaks, etc.)?
BD2008T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #5

I towed that exact trailer with a 2010 Titan for three years. My payload was 1410 lbs. With a loaded tongue weight including hitch of 900 lbs. The truck had more than enough power and as long as the wind stayed nose to tail you will be just fine. The two best things I did were to add airbags and upgrade the brakes. I now tow with a three quarter ton diesel and yes its night and day.
Pwza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #6

We had a 2016 Whitehawk 29REKS with a published dry weight of 6800#, but with all our stuff and some water it scaled at 8660#. Point being the weight goes up quickly. We towed with a 7.3 Excursion, a good WD hitch, and got along fine on some long trips but I wouldn’t have wanted a truck any lighter.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote