Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 AM   #21

My friends did the trip from Oregon to Alaska. The photos were so beautiful. But the roads were not kind to the 5th wheel. They broke some of the welds holding the axles to the frame and had to get them repaired. Despite the hardship on the RV, they made their snowbird trip to arizona this winter.

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #22

Just Goooo!!

We did it in 2015 in our X23B hybrid, left home 3 weeks after retiring at the end of April.

Previous posts have lots of good advice. We traveled from Pennsylvania, took almost 4 months, put 15,500 miles on the truck. Had NO tire issues, but did lose our brakes at one point due to the brake wire hanging low and getting ripped off. Roads are mostly as good as the lower 48. We spent over a month in AK. Loved the Kenai peninsula area best, and hope to get back there in another year or so.

What's your rig?

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #23

Buy " The Milepost" book. Has everything you need to know. Have fun.
tomricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #24
RPR

Mile post book is great! Not only pre trip planning but tool going down the road.
RPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #25

I put Tire Minder on our 37 foot Jayco Eagle plus their antenna booster. Do some "shakedown" trips to ensure it functions as you expect. I had to install a second booster in the pickup bed to have the monitor receive the signal from the trailer's rear axle and spare tire. Yes, I put one on the spare so I don't have to crawl under everyday to check its pressure. You DO check you tire pressures everyday, don't you? The Tire Minder system lets you monitor up to 22 tires. So why not put one on the spare. I also have one on the spare for the tow vehicle. Also, carry enough spare batteries for each of the transmitters.

The 5th wheel is impossible to jack up to change a tire on, which we had to do 200 miles before crossing into Alaska. Thankfully, the Tire Minder alerted us to a low pressure situation before it went completely flat, shredded, or blew. The only way to raise a tire on the 5er (twin axles) was to roll the good tire up and onto the ramp from Trailer Aid. Got ours from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T.../dp/B000I4JPZE

I had driven the Alaska Hwy before and knew the conditions we were getting into, but this time with the 5th wheel. My concern was how much of a beating the running gear was going to withstand. Besides the tire pressure monitor system and Trailer Aid, I had the wheel bearings replaced with higher quality ones. If you don't replace, at least do a repack on the ones you have. Getting any kind of service is painstakingly long, especially in Alaska.

Ditto on the "Have Paperwork in Hand" for both long guns and pets. Read the rules BEFORE you get to the border. One last point on taking guns into Canada. If you want to bring them back home to the U.S., stop at U.S. Customs on the way OUT of the country to declare them outbound. You'll need the form you fill out there as proof of ownership to bring them back legally into the U.S. I was schooled by the U.S. Customs Officer when coming back into Montana. He finally agreed my Canadian form for the initial crossing was acceptable proof that I owned it 2 months earlier.

Make reservations for RV parks now, especially Alaska. In fact, you might be too late for this summer's season.

I can't emphasize enough the tire pressure monitor system and the Trailer Aid (for twin axle trailers).

Slow down and enjoy the ride...you earned it.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #26

And we found the Alaska Highway to be in great shape opposed to the roads of Maine
They are insulating under the pavement on the Alaka Hwy and we found very little permafrost heaving
If you have a little unit its not hard to travel without reservations
We had none ahead of time save for Denali
We kind of found the Alaska Highway not deserving of its past reputation anymore

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #27

Alaska

Hi Sandybar. Check out our blog and on the right side go down to 2016 posts and you will find info about our 2016 trip to Ak. This was our second trip to Ak. with a tt. Did the Alaskan highway and Cassaire (sp)highway, also loaded up our tt and truck on the ferry from Haines Ak to Prince Rupert B.C. an adventure in an adventure.
Bob
Bob and Lorraine's Latest Adventure
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote