Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Towing a Trailer to Alaska

Retiring next year! Whoopie!

Want to go to Alaska for 2-3 months. Anyone here ever tow a trailer to Alaska from Oregon?

Pros and Cons? Do's and Don'ts. Recommend or not recommend?

Thanks in Advance.

kc

Sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

I know someone that talked about this. He's said that the drive is pretty tough on a trailer, and that if he does, he'll probably buy one that's already got some wear and tear on it, then resell it when he gets back home, rather than beat up the one he wants to keep for a few years.

sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #3

Not personally, no. But check out the last season of KYD (Keep Your Daydream) on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEh...t8McryMf_DHLZQ

They documented their trip really well, and there are great tips in several episodes. Mark's got a really good eye for video, with great scenery. They are Arizona based, so an even longer journey for them.

Less Junk More Journey https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I...c6kRtIiAGPRKZA was also there last summer. I don't follow their Vlog as much, although I do regularly check out their All About RV's Vlog.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

Leave your guns at home! Be familiar with Canadian laws and border regulations.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

We did this trip summer of 2017. We drove a new Jayco Melbourne 25 foot Class C and our friends drove a new 28 foot bumper pull. We travelled from Bend Oregon and entered Canada at Osoyoos. Drove up the Cassiar Highway (beautiful!) initially and caught part of the Alaska Highway on the way to Homer. Also visited Fairbanks, Anchorage, Took a short ferry to Dawson City. Can’t recall all the places we visited. We were on the road for 6 weeks. We eventually completed the entire length of the Alcan. Yes there were parts of the road like washboard as well as frost heaves. But you just take it slow. We never felt we were not going to be able to find gas or diesel. The roads in our opinion were not nearly as bad as ppl say they are. Gas was not scarce in our experience. The mosquitos were fierce in Canada but tolerable in Alaska. And mosquitos and I have a love/hate relationship... they love me and I hate them. We used a Clam pop up screen room and was able to be outside with mosquitos and/or rain. Neither of us had ANY damage to tires, windshield or body of the rigs.
Dates we traveled were June 1-July 12. Earlier than most of the crowds. It was a great trip. Don’t miss “Top of the world Highway”
You might think about reservations at some spots, especially closer to July.
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #6

My brother towed his trailer to Alaska from Michigan and loved it ! Only issues they had was a couple of flat tires both on the truck and trailer . They spent a month in Alaska and it was not enough. They had no damage to the tv or tt. Just be prepared and plan ahead.

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
Max tow equalizer wd/sway
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Leave your guns at home! Be familiar with Canadian laws and border regulations.
True for hand guns; almost impossible to get into (or through) Canada. But long guns aren't really that tough. That is actually part of an episode in the KYD mentioned above. They had a skeet rifle along with them, and with a little pre-planning and some simple paperwork, they were able to easily bring it along.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

We towed a trailer to Alaska in 2017 but not from
Oregon.
We came cross country from Maine and found the Alaska Highway in excellent shape. We went up through the Yukon to Dawson City. The Klondike higway waa under repair and partly tough mud
Top of the World Highway in Yukon was fantastic. Gravel then when you cross to AK its oaved but paved roads sonetimees havecworse heaves due to discontinuous permafrost
We were in AK some three weeks. . went on the Dempster Highway between Carcross and Paxob
120 miles gravel road in good shape stunning scenery
We went back through the States via the Stewart Cassiar highway. Gorgeous
We had no issues with tires or breaksoebs and found the Alaska Highway very tame

We prefer the AK state parks to the RV pparks which were pretty ugly forvtge most part
The municipal park in Seward an exception

Both well used. Now up to 250 nights camping and 70,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Just have a good set of quality tires... Also I would suggest if you are concerned "Beef up" your suspension with Mor/Ryde cross members and probably other options. I was considering them for my 5th but havn't pulled the trigger on them yet as it probably isn't really necessary for me as East Coast roads are not rough compared to Mid West / West coast.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
RPR

The Alcan hwy has been improved a lot in the last 5 years. There is always certain amount of road work due to the harsh winters. Made the trip from Indiana to Alaska back in 2017 in new 31’ Class C. Took our time and drove smart. Plenty of gas stations, food stores etc. Do a LOT of pre trip research on roads. Google Earth satellite view all though not real time view helped us get a feel for type of roads we would be driving on. Which ones to avoid and ones to take it easy on. Went in May and beat the mosquitos.

RPR is offline   Reply With Quote