Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
RDG

Towing with Tacoma

We just purchased a 2017 195 RB that the dealer is holding for us until Spring. The dry weight is just below 3000 lbs. and we have a 4X4 Toyota Tacoma with the factory tow package for a T.V. The Tacoma is rated at #6400 so I am hoping we will be in good shape towing the 195 RB. We are having a WD hitch with sway control installed and we had a brake controller for the pop up we have been towing.

Does anyone have any experience towing with the Tacoma or any tips or watch out I should be aware off? I have never towed a full size travel trailer and my only experience has been with the pop up which was not an issue with the Tacoma.

Thanks in advance.
RDG
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #2

We tow a 145rb which is 16 ft. from front to back it weighs a few hundred lbs. less than the 195. Yes, the Tacoma 4x4 will pull it with out much problem, but you will know it's behind you. One challenge is that the factory mirrors are useless. The aftermarket has some Tacoma specific tow mirrors available, but they are not EOM Toyota products,so use your own judgement. We formerly used a Nissan Xterra 4x4 but it was not as good for towing as the Tacoma. With the mid-size 4x4 trucks or SUV's, the real issue is not the weight being towed, it is the square footage of the front of the lighter weight Jayco TT units. In other words, it's not the weight behind you, it is the drag of the wind resistance of the TT itself that is the towing issue. We love the Tacoma and it can tow the weight that it is rated at, but that does not really factor in the resistance as you are basically pulling a billboard down the road. I can load 3000 or 4000 lbs. of sand or bags of concrete on a utility trailer and all is great because it is a low profile cargo. Ultimately it is simply wind resistance that is the issue. We also never tow in "Drive" and always use "4" on the shift selector. The Tacoma will do 65mph on a flat freeway no problem, but up hill in the mountains of Arizona's freeway's it slows to 55. That is just the nature of towing with a mid-size truck.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #3

I tow a Starcraft 176RB with a 6 cl. Tacoma. As has been said it can be done but the Trailer does provide a great wind resistance to motion. Your mpg wil drop to around 10-12 while towing. Just take your time, tow in 4th gear and you will get here. I use the McKesh mirrors but others will work. Good Luck
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #4

I have a '12 Tacoma 4x4 w/tow package. I have a '17 Jayco 174bh. It pulls great for me, though I noticed some improvement with gas mileage and wind resistance when I made a couple mods. I love in Ok. And it's generally flat, though there are hilly areas and have towed in Arkansas. I installed a Yakima crossbar with a wind fairing on it over the rear of double cab. I also got a good deal on a tonneau cover on the bed. I have noticed that I pull much easier than before the wind fairing on the roof. If you aren't familiar with Oklahoma we have high winds often and I have to consider this when towing. I think it directs the air better over my TT. I do use tow mirrors I got on Amazon as much better visibility.
esunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

I have the same trailer 2015 195rb baja and tow a with a 2016 Taco. we've taken the trailer from Phoenix to the Oregon coast twice and up to Glacier NP last fall. Also numerous trips around AZ. The little truck does great and it's really nice to have a capable 4x4 when we get to our destinations.
My truck is kinda "overland" and have ton of upgrades but a few that have helped with the trailer are the firestone ride rite bags and Daystar floating cradles. I use a curt WDH and friction sway controll. I also run bigger 33.5" tires so I had the diffs regeared to 4.88. As far as mirrors I can't stand the strap on things so I used Wi-Fi video tranmistter tied into the taillights and added a reverse camera so I can see what's behind me. I also added a scan gauge so I can monitor trans temps and a the biggest ATF cooler I could fit inline with OEM cooler.
Lord Humongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Towed home my new-to-me '17 245RLSW from Southern Calif to my home in Central Calif (300 miles) with no problem. It's the most I'd want to tow with it, but at 55mph and my setup, it never geared down more than one gear pulling up the Grapevine, never strained to maintain 55mph.

2015 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner
LARGE aux trans cooler
Scan gauge monitoring (trans never broke 180deg, engine never above 205deg)
Center Line WDH
Prodigy P3
ProEFX power tow mirrors

It wouldn't be my choice for full time or cross-country travel, but for the 5-6 times a year I'll go 200-300 miles in a trip, it works great and still leaves me with my daily driver. I WOULD NOT recommend this combo w/out the provisions I've outfitted the truck with, or their equivalent.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #7

Towing with Tacoma

No trouble at all with a 2012 Tacoma TRD Double Cab. According to the TacomaWorld forum’s towing bible, keeping the trailer weight near and/or below your tow capacity is recommended. I agree. I added a leveling system for the rig and anti-sway bar. I have Old Man Emu Dakar leaf pack with ToyTec Boss suspension lift kit. Not to mention a Yuwei wireless rear camera that is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #8

2012 Ridgeline here which is rated less than the Tacoma
Enroute to FL. Been cross country with the unit 4 times
13 mph. No issues. Unit now has 42000 miles on it.
Just try to remember it’s there
Mirror extensions are our big bugaboo
Trailer handled well even on sheet ice

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote