Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #21

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I was able to find the 1 pound bottles at our local AGWAY store recently. If you have one in your area, you may want to take a look.
We don't have AGWAY but you gave me the idea to check Tractor Supply. They show them in stock here so will head over first thing in the morning to stock up..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:55 PM   #22

I think the importance for our holding tank is light "single ply". Heavy multi-ply tends to stick to the tank interior and thus harder to flush out.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:45 PM   #23

The TP thing I think is an interesting one. The flushing the tank thing, I've found what works best for me anyway, is I fill a 5gal bucket with water and slam it down the toilet as fast as it can swallow it. I empty the bucket into the toilet from about waist level so the stream becomes a little more narrow and is easier to keep it straight down the toilet drain hole instead of splashing around in the bowl. It comes flying out of the end of the sewer line with some pretty good speed and force to carry most everything that's sitting in the tank.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #24

We use POM from Sam's at home and while camping - and take our own to the public restrooms if they use single ply onion skin like Michigan uses in their highway rest areas. POM disintegrates well in water and especially well in Happy Campers black tank treatment. However, in our camper we place almost all used TP into an orange newspaper bag then tie it off and toss it in the garbage prn.

A solution of Calgon, Dawn, washing soda and Happy Campers in the black and grey tanks (about 90/10 ratio) keeps everything super slick at dump time. Almost all kitchen food prep and dish washing water (we use a basin in the sink) gets dumped into the black tank as well to keep rotted food smell out of the grey tank and add more liquid to the black tank.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:28 PM   #25

Anyone ever install a bidet?
crmillsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:53 PM   #26

We have found that the TP that Wal Mart sells in the plain black lettered wrapper works just as well as the more expensive stuff.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #27

During the COVID shutdown I did the TP jar test as well. I used 3 different brands. One was the Members Mark brand from Sam’s Club, one was Kirkland brand from Costco, and the 3rd was Rv toilet paper by Camco. I was astounded by the results. The RV brand didn’t break down at all no matter how hard I shook the mason jar. There were still large chunks of paper even after 7 days. I’d shake each jar several times a day. The Costco tp did much better, but my amazement came from the Members Mark stuff. When I dropped the same amount of paper in that jar and gave it 5 quick shakes (as I did for the other two), the paper basically liquified before my eyes. It’s too bad we can’t shake our RV black tanks like that, but I was convinced RV toilet paper was not only a hoax, but could very well be the reason many people have issues with sensors not working. We have a clear elbow on our waste hose and I don’t see big chunks of paper coming through. So now, we use the same TP in our home that we do in the trailer. Very economical too!

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
During the COVID shutdown I did the TP jar test as well. I used 3 different brands. One was the Members Mark brand from Sam’s Club, one was Kirkland brand from Costco, and the 3rd was Rv toilet paper by Camco. I was astounded by the results. The RV brand didn’t break down at all no matter how hard I shook the mason jar. There were still large chunks of paper even after 7 days. I’d shake each jar several times a day. The Costco tp did much better, but my amazement came from the Members Mark stuff. When I dropped the same amount of paper in that jar and gave it 5 quick shakes (as I did for the other two), the paper basically liquified before my eyes. It’s too bad we can’t shake our RV black tanks like that, but I was convinced RV toilet paper was not only a hoax, but could very well be the reason many people have issues with sensors not working. We have a clear elbow on our waste hose and I don’t see big chunks of paper coming through. So now, we use the same TP in our home that we do in the trailer. Very economical too!
That's the same stuff in the plain black lettered packs that Walmart has on the shelf.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:42 PM   #29

Thirty years of camping in Canada and in the U.S. never used the RV tissue but of course you need everything to be on par, RV tissue or not.
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:44 PM   #30

Exactly, same here.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:53 PM   #31

Just use whatever you use at home.
Sometimes the RV toilet paper is harder to clear than what you usually use.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:05 AM   #32

We have used Charmin Essentials in our rig for years with no problems. I'd stay away from the Ultra Strong for mobile use but I've never actually tested it for dissolvability. My feelings are that if you get the single-sheet stuff, you'll just use twice as much.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #33

A Vote FOR Members Mark TP

Used various RV rated tp's, over the years, thin, rough, flimsy, usually saw pieces of that tp at dump time thru clear fitting. Sam's Member's Mark TP will totally dissolve, I never see any pieces when dumping. Better quality than most RV rated tp and way cheaper. And, (bottom line ;-) it's DW approved!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #34

We've been using Costco's for the last 15 years with no issue with the tissue! lol.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmillsjr View Post
Anyone ever install a bidet?
Actually, a few here on this forum have...Certainly would eliminate the TP but with limited supply of water and holding tank might not work to well unless one is always connected to full hook up's.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Nice topic for a Sunday. :-) I haven't seen this question raised here so thought i would throw it out there. Is Septic Tank Rated Toilet Paper safe to use in our RV's?? At a third the cost of RV rate TP it certainly would be a money saver to use the Septic Tank Rated stuff.
CharminUltra Soft works well in my Greyhawk 31FS. Passed the jar test with flying colors.
Tommy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #37

The issue of toilet paper

We have used the horrible single ply rv stuff, because I’ve had free coupons. I wrote Charmin to see if their ultra soft was septic safe. Unreal answer. They told me to contact Jayco and ask. Last time I knew Jayco didn’t make toilet paper. Guess she didn’t want to give an answer, maybe the customer service rep just couldn’t read. Got a good laugh out of stupidity.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote