Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #21

I also run the TST 507RV setup. Bought it used from a member here. No issues other than replacing batteries every 1-1.5 years of use. I remove the sensors during the off season. My system was older and did not come with the repeater so I bought it later as I was erratically losing 1 tire.

Setup is a little wonky as it is designed for an 18 wheeler so you have to cycle through the different positions to get the parameters set. After that it works 100%. I won't tow without it now. Been using it since May 2014.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #22

Hi All. Here is what I ordered for what it is worth.
The Tire minder TM55C-B $114 ON E-bay.
The Tire minder booster $65 from Amazon.
I figured that I might as well go with the booster to start.
I'll let you know how it works come spring. I considered TST and EZZE.
I also looked hard at the Tire minder TM66 kit at $295

Thanks for your input.
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #23

Here is what I have done:
I opted not to purchase a TPMS system.
Instead, I found a tire store--not one of the national chains--here in Albuquerque and spent $247 for metal valve stems, one for each of the six tires on the Class C Jayco Melbourne. Each valve stem is easily accessible.
Having given this route much thought and after spending way too much time on line educating myself about TPMS, etc., I chose a system that I can check easily and that when I find a low tire, I can air up myself. I have two air compressors, a portable one that I carry with me and a bigger one that lives in the garage.
Knowing a tire's pressure is valuable, but, I believe, if you cannot air it up yourself, then only knowing the pressure is not enough. It is up to me to check the psi regularly and often.
That said, having a TPMS will tell you instantly if a tire is low. That is not something I will know..................
It's a tradeoff.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #24

Tire Pressure & Temperature.
Good units should also show the temp. My TST's do.
This is very important because if you have a bad wheel bearing or a brake
hanging up it will show that wheel. Example R/F 80 psi 100 deg. L/R 80 psi
120 deg. You got a problem, stop & check.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #25

It's great if you check your tire pressure every day. But that wouldn't have done a thing when I had a tire going bad. The TPMS warned me of high temp in the tire (went up 5 degrees in the time set for warning (don't remember the set time). I was able to stop before any real damage except to a bearing and the tire itself (tire was starting to loose tread in chunks). I belief the TPMS saved me from major damage or the wheel coming off.

A TPMS system runs about what you put into the steel stems and would give you warning of tire overheating and loosing pressure while driving.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #26
Site Team

There is a thread on JOF about a dragging brake shoe.

If your TPMS shows temps, you can compare your tires of the same pressure and tell if one is overheating very easily.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #27

80psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
TireMinder TM55c here and it's worked well. Great support and I prefer the display screen to any of the others, it's simple and easy to read in my opinion. Since we only have a single axle it's perfect for us, it monitors up to 5 tires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Minder-Resear...EDF1651GMDJCKR
I thought we had everything we could possibly need for our new TT then I saw this post!

So I was thinking this would be great to get for my husband for Christmas.

I checked all the TM's out & called the company (they told me they are discontinuing the model you purchased).
They said that if your tires are more than 80 psi this unit will not work.

So I called the RV store were we purchased and are storing and they said our wheels say 80psi...

Can I use this unit?

Thanks for your help!
Chris
seastonemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastonemountain View Post
I thought we had everything we could possibly need for our new TT then I saw this post!

I checked all the TM's out & called the company (they told me they are discontinuing the model you purchased).

So I called the RV store were we purchased and are storing and they said our wheels say 80psi...

Can I use this unit?

Thanks for your help!
Chris
I use the Tire Minder TM77 on my FW. Handles the 80 psi and greater with no problem and shows temps as well. Have used it about 9 months and am very pleased with it.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
There is a thread on JOF about a dragging brake shoe.

If your TPMS shows temps, you can compare your tires of the same pressure and tell if one is overheating very easily.

Exactly what I was talking about. In my case the tread was starting to separate and temp and pressure went up quickly on the one tire. The TPMS warning gave me the opportunity to pull over safely.

I've upgraded to Goodyear Endurance tires.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I use the Tire Minder TM77 on my FW. Handles the 80 psi and greater with no problem and shows temps as well. Have used it about 9 months and am very pleased with it.
Thank you!

I do think the TM55 will work...it's upper limit is 80psi and I read that it will alarm if it goes over that.

And if I understand correctly that with also monitoring the temps, I think we would be covered.

Unfortunately the TM77 is a lot more money!

IFALLSGUY what TM system are you using? I couldn't find it...

Chris
Old 12-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #31

Quote:

Can I use this unit?

Thanks for your help!
Chris
If you have E-rated (10-ply) tires I could see running 80 psig, still not sure if it would be an issue because I doubt you'd run over that pressure. Since we upgrade from the factory tires to D-rated (8-ply) we only inflate to 65 psig, so it's not an issue for us.

I know there's a high temperature and low pressure alarm, can't remember off hand if there was a high pressure alarm, don't think there was.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Thank you!

I do think the TM55 will work...it's upper limit is 80psi and I read that it will alarm if it goes over that.

And if I understand correctly that with also monitoring the temps, I think we would be covered.

Unfortunately the TM77 is a lot more money!

IFALLSGUY what TM system are you using? I couldn't find it...

Chris
I purchased the TireMinder Smart Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 6 Transmitters. It works with your cell phone using their app. I did upgrade (or downgrade depending on your view) by ordering the stand alone receiver for the TM-77 ($50). After using the cell phone app, personally I decided the dedicated receiver worked better for us. We are using 5 transmitters (2 axles and spare).

We were using the cell app when we had the tire issue and it worked fine. The dedicated receiver is just personal choice. Purchased through CW, which has them on sale. Even with ordering the dedicated receiver from TireMinder, it was still cheaper than buying the complete TM-77 kit (about $30). TireMinder had the new receiver to me within a week.

Norris
Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #33

If you order the TM55C make sure you order the correct sensors for the valve stems. A, B, Aluminum or brass. Look under the valve cap mine had a rubber body with brass threads on the stem, hence the TM55C-B
I also carry a compressor with me on most trips and can check and adjust as necessary. What I am using it for in case of a problem when I'm moving.
If it doesn't work out the way I hoped I'll let you know this spring.
Only 4 degs f this am
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #34

Thanks everyone...ordered the TM55 & booster from Amazon...
It says on Amazon for RV's!

I think my husband will be really surprised!

Hope he likes it!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!

Chris