Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Tpms sensor setting help

Hey Guys. Need some help setting my low and high end psi settings on my sensors. I just bought these on Amazon while we are away in FL.

CARCHET TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 4 External Sensors Cigarette Lighter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012AEFDSC..._rtvlzn24nT7m1

Amazon delivered them to a locker in front of 7/11. I scanned the code on my phone and the locker just popped open. It was Xmas in July!😀

So my Goodyear's at set at 65psi cold so what should be a good rule of thumb for high and low alarms. Also what should I be aware of as far as high temp goes. It only lets me set in Celsius and the min setting is 70.
Thx

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

70 degrees C is equal to 158 F.

That being said, it is difficult to find out what normal tire operating temps are. They will vary from outside temps, load and air pressures. Radial tires in general are designed to operate at a higher temp than bias ply tires.

Now to compound the issue, how accurate can the tire sensor be when the cap is at the end point of a pressurized tire that revolves in circles and influenced by convection of air at road speeds.

It seems to me for it to be accurate there would have to be air flow across the sensor, or the sensor would have to reside within the tire cavity without outside environmental influence to be accurate.

Therefore, if it were to monitor and display a temp for each tire then one could learn normal variances for current conditions, otherwise I do not find tire temp sensors on the end of the valve stem of any use at all.

I think what you have is a pressure sensor, that will only be useful to identify a low tire, because if you have complete tire failure with a rapid loss, you will know that before a sensor is able to run its course of timed pings to your display. Most often the delay on tire failure is beyond a useful warning.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #3

Ultimately I would like to go with a tireminder system but needed something quick for the 1000 mile journey back so something is better than nothing.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

True, something is better than nothing, I just wouldn't bank on any value of temperature sensing.

Safe travels!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Most recommend 10 psi low and 20 psi high. 157f is the Michelin recommended high temp setting.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
True, something is better than nothing, I just wouldn't bank on any value of temperature sensing.

Safe travels!
I have the TST 507RV and have compared the temp readings I get from my valve stem mounted sensors to a reading taken from the tire sidewall with an infra red thermometer when hot. There is little variation if any. I'm not sure how or why that is but it is very close.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #7

Pressure Settings

These are the settings programmed by the good people at TST for the 10 sensors on my rig. I hope this helps with some relative settings. BTW, the TST 507 system has been great and the support from them on questions was excellent.

RV
High: 104
Base: 80
Low: 72

Boat Trailer
High: 45
Base: 34
Low: 30
Old 01-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherW View Post
These are the settings programmed by the good people at TST for the 10 sensors on my rig. I hope this helps with some relative settings. BTW, the TST 507 system has been great and the support from them on questions was excellent.

RV

Boat Trailer

Thanks for these numbers. I had my trailer tires filled to 80 which is the cold PSI. Then I had the TPMS set to 20% as the high pressure setting which would be 96 and when on a trip I had 3 of the 4 tires sounding an alarm for high pressure at 96 after like 5 hours of driving so I figured 96 must be to low for the high pressure warning.

—————————————————

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

TPMS Base Numbers: Low, High Alarm Percentages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherW View Post

RV

Boat Trailer
Since posting this info 6 months ago, I have programmed some additional sensors and was told by TST to take the:
-Base recommended tire pressure; reduce it by 10% to calculate the Low alarm,
-Increase the Base by 30% for the High pressure alarm
-Run all tires at 158 degree alarm for Temp alarm
I hope this is easier than calculating the percentages from the numbers I posted.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #10

That sounds about right based on my tire pressures when rolling.

I really don't know what my high temp alarm is but I monitor them on a regular basis.

I do not agree that the temps are useless. As noted above I have compared the stem sensor temps to tire temps with an infrared thermometer and they are within a couple deg of each other. From past experience the 'cold temps' are driven by outside air temp and sunlight on the tires. Rolling temp is mainly driven by the load and road temp.

I use the temps mainly to determine if something is changing or one tire is off from the others. Typically one side will be higher than the other due to sunlight and/or the road crown (lower side tires will have slightly more load on them).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote