Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

trade in

if you ordered a new trailer would you give your trade in to the dealer with the possibly he could sell it weeks before your new one comes in .
I have been asked to do this but see a few ways this could be a bad idea.
what's your opinion
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

If you're set on trading it in VS selling it yourself I wouldn't give it to the dealer too early. What if it sells and something falls thru with the one you ordered? Then how many weeks aren't you going to be able to go camping? I would wait until the dealer calls you and said your new one is in. Hopefully they are going to take several days to go over it and check/inspect if everything is working and in new condition. Once the new one comes in then I would bring your trade to the dealer. You must have a camper that the dealer is counting on selling right away or maybe already has someone wanting one like you have.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #3

It depends on how soon you want to camp.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #4

Two ways to look at it like a used car. Sometimes when you bring the trade in the dealer will lower the trade -in value. They come up with the book value went down. The bottom line is they come up with more money as your new RV is sitting there. This didn't happen to me but to a friend. the dealer said you should have taken the offer the other day. The good part is the dealer went out of business!!!
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #5

Why does your question remind me of the movie "Family Vacation" when the Griswolds traded in their old car for a new one. The dealer crushed the old car as Mr. Griswold waited for his new car to be delivered....and it was the wrong new car! Instead of a sports car, he ended up with a station wagon - the Family Truckster I believe. I agree with the others. Wait for the new rig to arrive before giving up your current rig. And don't put up too many Christmas tree lights either, you'll blind the neighbors.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrev2 View Post
Why does your question remind me of the movie "Family Vacation" when the Griswolds traded in their old car for a new one. The dealer crushed the old car as Mr. Griswold waited for his new car to be delivered....and it was the wrong new car! Instead of a sports car, he ended up with a station wagon - the Family Truckster I believe. .
LOL! The good ol' Griswolds! Boy I remember those movies. Now *there* was a family who knew how to vacation/travel/camp...... LOL

Denise is offline   Reply With Quote