Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
It is taxed at 'valuation' which is $16,900. (Roughly $200/year) in addition to license and inspection/registration of $70.00. State sales tax on vehicles is 6.25% on reported amount of sale.
Ouch!
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #42

California is outrageous. I paid $70,000 + tax for my motorhome in 2019. I pay a little over $700 per year for registration! Talk about Ouch. ☹️
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I tried that on my current unit. What I found was that all of the local dealers have terrible service departments that could care less about fixing problems in a timely fashion if at all. After they get your money you are in your own. In the future I will just shop for the best deal and go where I need to make it happen. If you can't count on the local dealers why would I want to support them?
That was my point I guess, if they don't deserve the business don't give it to them. I just would never buy somewhere else to save a couple hundred, quite often the sales manager can help smooth the way for their customers
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #44

Always stay in control of the transaction. They have to sell product. You don't have to buy. Sometimes the best negotiating technique is to thank them for their time, get up and walk out the door.

Last year we were $200 apart on a Mustang convertible. For us it's a toy. We didn't have to buy it. We walked away. Two weeks later the salesman called and met our price.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
Always stay in control of the transaction. They have to sell product. You don't have to buy. Sometimes the best negotiating technique is to thank them for their time, get up and walk out the door.

Last year we were $200 apart on a Mustang convertible. For us it's a toy. We didn't have to buy it. We walked away. Two weeks later the salesman called and met our price.
+1

After talking for hours and getting nowhere, just get up and head for the door. My wife has used this many times. She usually states, "hey, I'm getting hungry, let's get lunch" and heads for the door. This will get a salesperson's attention. They don't want you to leave.

If the salesman leaves the room, either stay silent or get up and go to the showroom. Sometimes the the room or booth is bugged and they will get an idea of what you are saying without the salesperson there!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #46

Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
+1

After talking for hours and getting nowhere, just get up and head for the door. My wife has used this many times. She usually states, "hey, I'm getting hungry, let's get lunch" and heads for the door. This will get a salesperson's attention. They don't want you to leave.

If the salesman leaves the room, either stay silent or get up and go to the showroom. Sometimes the the room or booth is bugged and they will get an idea of what you are saying without the salesperson there!

Murff

In September 2015 I stuck a deal for a Ford after driving 300 miles to the dealership in Tulsa and them 'lowballing' my trade. We were $1k off what I wanted, DW said "Let's go get some lunch and think about it"...Salesman bolted...let me just go back one more time...BONUS! He came back, got the trade I wanted plus $12,544 off MSRP and then we went to finance. They asked all the questions, found I had 800+ credit score and voila-ANOTHER $750 off for financing with Ford!
My RV deals have not recently been so hot...but my first one was...Camperland Oklahoma sold me a 2012 RB Jayflight SLX 33% off MSRP, and when they sent me to finance, I paid in full. They were expecting paperwork and even admitted my 'price' was supposed to have 2.5% finance kickback. Paid in full...never let'em know you're gonna do that.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #47

Thanks for everyones advice and input. Last night I was able to send the trailer down the road with a new owner and didn't take to bad of a beating. Now its time to figure out which one is next.
drh329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #48

I would not buy anything now, I just watch someone on YouTube get hit with a $7k increase 2 days after they were given a price on a MH during their financing! I would hire a consultant if I was going to buy now. Dealers, not all, are thieves !
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote