Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Trading in a new trailer?

Has anyone here ever traded in a nearly new trailer, just a few months old? How badly did you get dinged on the value?
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #2

It happens more often than you think. How much it ends up costing you depends partially on how much you paid in the first place. Look up your unit on the NADA RV guide, look to see what used trailers like yours are advertised for then subtract about 20 percent that will bring you close to what the dealer can give you if it is truly a great clean trailer and a model that is in demand. This is opinion and not even a scientific guess. On a different line if you are not happy with the trailer now it will only cost you more to keep it so there is never a better time to trade for what better fits your needs than right now. By personal experience I know what you are going through.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You might want to sell it privately to give you a better value than a dealer will for trade in.
By the dealer you will for sure loose 20% or more.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #4

The NADA RV guide is just that a guide. The dealers use a bit of a different formula in conjunction with the NADA RV guide and it based on what a bank would consider as a "loan" value to determine the value of your trailer.

I would suggest calling a bank loan officer and see what amount they would loan someone to purchase your trailer and make a decision from there. It would be hard for someone who is looking to purchase the trailer with a bank loan and you have it priced more than a bank is willing to loan money for it.

As others have suggested---selling outright yourself will usually provide better results.

Good Luck!!
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

I've seen it happen many times and done it once myself. There is no reason to keep a trailer your unhappy with. Yeah, your going to pay some stupid tax, but then owning a RV was never an investment to begin with.

Your in Oregon so no sales tax differential to consider. I'd talk to your dealer and see what they are willing to do and then throw an ad on craigslist and see if it sells.

I'm curious what your going from and what your interested in.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I'm curious what your going from and what your interested in.
I would be going from my X213 to a 23BHM, 23MBH, or 24MBH. Our goal is the same as it was originally -- small trailer that can fit in most of the smaller, more remote campgrounds in the PNW, while being as comfortable as possible for two adults, two kids, and a 70 lb dog. Now I'm pretty sure I really do want the slide-out on the side, and I want a bed that I can get out of from the side, instead of crawling up and into from the foot.

There's a good chance we'll just suck it up and deal with the X213. I'm spending a chunk of change on an RV pad in a couple weeks, and truth be told, the X213 is still *much* better than a tent . We had planned to keep it four or five years, reevaluate our real-life usage pattern and decide if we wanted something bigger or not. I might just stick with that rather than piss away another 5 grand to rearrange the floor layout a little.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

You are going to get hammered on the trade. I bought my new fifth wheel 2 years ago and paid just under $70k Canadian. We thought about upgrading to a Pinnacle or a Seneca this spring and the dealer we purchased from offered us just a little over $40k on trade. We kept the fiver.....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #8

To us, it is all relative in regards to what you will "lose".

Of course, there is the money part of things but if you are in participating in the RV lifestyle, one undeniable truth that somewhere along the way, it is going to "cost" you. In this regard, we are losing about 30 percent on trade.

Why would we take such a loss you ask? Well, there are 2 "major" reasons, and probably another dozen or so lesser ones that I won't list here.

The first is that after living in the trailer for the time we actually were able to, we quickly found out how much our "logical" thinking was off when we decided on this particular floor plan and what we felt we could "live with". We were trying to save some money, but in hindsight, it will end up costing us. We now have a MUCH better understanding of what we not only "want" but "require" in a floor plan and features, which of course costs even more money. But in the end, we know that we will be satisfied with the new one we have chosen and that we have no one to blame but ourselves for trying to cheap out in the first place.

Second, but more important to us was that our current trailer has had failure after failure (a few things more than once) which required our unit to spend almost 3/4 of it's warranty coverage, sitting at the dealership. And there is still an intermittent electrical issue that no one has been able to nail down. But in our opinion, it is a serious enough of an issue that we just are NOT willing to "live with", literally!

So given that we are out of warranty, we are on our own and neither of us feel safe in it, or do we have any confidence that we won't end up spending more time and money trying to keep this one in a usable condition than we will lose on trade in, our choice was clear for us.

So only you and yours can really make the decision as to whether you feel you "gain" more than what you will "lose" and that isn't always about the "money". Everybody's situation is different.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

I've done it twice now. Unfortunately it's pay to play, and enjoying a trailer that is well suited for the family is most important. The depreciation stings for sure.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #10

I've done it twice too. Unless you private sell, there is no secret sauce. You'll get hammered. And not in a good 'Daddy soda' kind of way.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
BJR

We did it this year and lost our shirts. We are completely happy with what we wound up with but even with a good down payment on our camper last year we were upside down on the loan. The first camper was a learning experience and strongly shaped many of the requirements for the second. I don't see us moving away from this camper any time soon.

Some advice - trades are hard. Imagine walking into a dealer looking for a camper and seeing a slightly used camper on the lot for almost what a new one is going for...and the new one has the warranty.

I'd recommend selling it privately now, before the end of the season, or selling it around the beginning of next season. Private sale would be a lot easier to get out from your current loan. In hindsight, we didn't want to have two payments at the same time but we lost in the end.

Good luck either way!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #12

I did the same thing, i didn't exactly lose my shirt but i wasn't overly happy about it either. We bought our x23F brand new (traded in a used X17) owned it for a little less than a year and traded it in for the trailer we currently have. All three transactions were done at the same dealer. I could have gotten more in a private sale but to me it wasn't worth the hassle of listing it, showing it to potential buyers and dealing with the money exchange.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #13

I have done it twice too. Lost some on both deals the first time my trailer was two months old and used it three times and The dealer treated me fair . Its all in what you want and what you can afford to do . Your going to loose no matter what you do its just
a matter of how much.
kfpd404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #14

We've done it twice - trade-in figures were ridiculous. Both times we sold our trade-in to two different sons so that at least they'd reap the benefits instead of the dealer. First time our trailer was only a year old, second time 2 1/2 years old. But, as others have said, we are pleased with our decision, and it was well worth it in the end. If we'd kept what we had, it would have just kept eating at us that we wanted something different.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #15

Did it last fall. Traded in our 2013 Eagle 28.5 for a 2016 North Point 311 RKTS. We knew we were upside down on the Eagle, but after deciding to spend much more time on the road, we wanted something we were comfortable with. We returned to the dealer where we bought the Eagle. The only way we could get enough out of the Eagle was to trade up and not across. By upgrading to the North Point, they gave us enough to pay off the balance on the Eagle. We like the North Point and it has many more features. The down side is we have a higher monthly payment and we've had more problems with the North Point than any of our previous RVs combined. Still hoping for the best.

Jim.