Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Trailer Aid ramp use/review

I have a 2015 26BHS. After 1,000 miles, I noticed excessive inside tread wear and a slight camber angle difference at the bottom of the tire between the two rear tires - dual axle). Looks to be a defect I didn't notice when I took delivery. I took it to Camping World, where I purchased it two months earlier and they confirmed a bent axle. After two more months I finally got the trailer back (rant about that a different time). I decided to replace the tire on my own as I just wanted the trailer back. I had purchased Trailer Aid Plus in case I ever needed to change one out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V8UKBY
This is my experience using the ramp.

I loosened the lug nuts, placed the Tire Aid and pull the trailer up on to the ramp. You really need someone back there to tell you how far to go. I could see the ramp on the drivers side as I was angled that way a little, but the passenger side I wouldn't have been able to see anything. I could not 'feel' the trailer rolling into hump of the ramp. You want to get the axle right in the middle of the hump for stability. After getting up on the ramp the tire I was going to change was still touching the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pulled on ramp2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	19241

I was still able to pull the wheel off without much trouble even with it touching the ground. I went and had a new Maxxis M8008 ST (The 26BHS came with Rainer, but I could find them online to purchase. Maxxis seemed like a good replacement after reading through reviews). When I came back I could not get the new tire on as the axle was not high enough. I keep a small travel folding shovel and I dug down ~ 2" and was able to get the tire on.

Name:	dug out.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	19243

I tightened down the lugs nuts, rolled back off the ramp and finished tightening down the lug nuts and it looks like I'm good to go.

Name:	final.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	19242

So overall the ramp worked, but I was lucky to be sitting on gravel where I could dig out under the tire a little bit. If it was on a solid surface, I don't think it would have raised the other tire enough to get a new one on (the gravel was compacted and didn't give much). Perhaps a small 1-1.5" plywood strip may have done the trick under the ramp (or the plastic level squares?). Or if you end up on a soft surface and have a shovel you can dig down like I could this time. You could also ride up the ramp a little to get on a ramp tip to get you a little extra lift, but I'd definitely make sure the TV is attached and wheel chucks are locked in tight to prevent movement.

There is a non 'plus' version that doesn't have as much height. I bought this version to avoid that problem, but it looks like getting the height you need could still be an issue.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Team

That is how most use it except they put a bottle jack under the axle plate on the low wheel and raise it enough to change the tire, then reverse the procedure.

You do need a spotter when pulling up on a ramp!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #3

I made something using wood to see if the trailer aid would work. It jammed the wheel so high into the wheel well without lifting the other wheel any. It was ugly.

labarn
labarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:47 AM   #4

It's good to hear some actual experience. I've had a Trailer Aid for a long time but thankfully, never had the need to use it. Mine is not the plus model so I think it's a little closer to the ground. If you weren't on gravel, you'd either have to jack it up or raise the other axle perhaps by putting a 2x8 under the Trailer Aid. And that's not to mention having to put back the bad tire first for some measure of stability?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #5

Our current trailer has the wide track axles and the trailer aid doesn't quite lift the other tire off the ground. We bought it when we had a 338 and it worked fine, happily I've never had the opportunity to use it.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #6

Hopefully I won't need to use it unless its planned, in which case I know I need to dig down a little to get a new tire on. I was hoping to be able to carry the trailer aid instead of carrying around a 2 ton jack, but hindsight, maybe it would just be better to have the jack.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Hopefully I won't need to use it unless its planned, in which case I know I need to dig down a little to get a new tire on. I was hoping to be able to carry the trailer aid instead of carrying around a 2 ton jack, but hindsight, maybe it would just be better to have the jack.
You know a 2 ton jack only weigh a few pounds?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire replacement, trailer aid